iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unexpected Metal Hit

Started by Board Cutter, May 22, 2014, 10:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Board Cutter

This was the second 12 foot log from a tree.  I had almost finished canting the log when the mill head stopped and the engine lugged down.  When we got done with wedges and chain saws, we opened up the block cut off and found the head from a cant hook/peavey.  As you can see it was completely imbeddded in the tree.  Being the second log from this tree, it would have been about 22 feet up in the tree!!
Best guess someone broke the handle on their peavey and hung the head on a tree.  Over time the tree grew and surrounded it.

TimberKing 2000, John Deere 970, Hitachi Excavator,

beenthere

They would have had to hang it 22' up in the tree. That would be a puzzlement.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nomad

Quote from: beenthere on May 22, 2014, 11:31:21 PM
They would have had to hang it 22' up in the tree. That would be a puzzlement.

Doesn't make any sense, does it?  What would you be doing with a peavey 22' up a tree?  Did Paul Bunyan ever do any work around there? :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

Sounds to me that some one broke the handle out, landed pretty hard on there face in the process, got up and threw it and that is where it landed.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

Cutter, even an elcheapo detector would have found that bad boy. Of course you wouldn't expect it in the second log unless it was a tree house tree. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

21incher

Maybe a bear stole it from a lumber camp and hung it in the tree for future use.  ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

GDinMaine

Too bad you sawed into it .  Otherwise just fit a new handle, and you have an extra cant hook.  ;D

Interesting find.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Ron Wenrich

What's the piece in the upper right hand corner? Where would the hook be attached to that peavey head?  I can't seem to locate it. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Board Cutter

The piece in the upper right corner of the 1st picture is the piece for the hook.  I cut it off as I came into it.  The hook part was gone, and that may be why it was thrown away.
TimberKing 2000, John Deere 970, Hitachi Excavator,

isawlogs

Theres gold in them there logs....  Don't we wish.  :-\ 

I own two metal detectors and quite frankly, I would not have taken one out to give that log a metal test, I just don't have that much time to waste. Don't rightly know of anyone that would of.

Sure would be nice if one could come up with a reason for that tip to be where it was.  smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Cedarman

With a detector you could probably find the hook which may have been broken near the tree.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Chuck White

Quote from: Cedarman on May 24, 2014, 07:49:00 AM
With a detector you could probably find the hook which may have been broken near the tree.

Maybe it's just hidden inside of a 2x6, completely surrounded by wood!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kczbest

Seeing what tornadoes can do and where some things wind up after a twister, I would think a tornado could be the possible culprit.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

red oaks lumber

as a tree grows in diameter it also grows taller. my guess is the tree was fairly small when that happened, if you look closer the pith isn't all that far from the peavy.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

isawlogs

Quote from: red oaks lumber on May 24, 2014, 04:05:29 PM
as a tree grows in diameter it also grows taller. my guess is the tree was fairly small when that happened, if you look closer the pith isn't all that far from the peavy.

It does grow taller, but what ever you put in a tree at six feet when small, will be darn close to the same height at 60years down the road, a tree grows from its tip and not from its stump.
The tornado is a very pausable cause in a case like this. The handle may have roted off a lopng time ago.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

clww

Maybe it fell out of a plane? ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dave Shepard

I'm pretty sure that one is the last wooden handled one I broke. I threw it so hard I think it went back in time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

RPowers

Wow, neat find, though I'll bet you weren't thinking that when you trashed a blade!
One nice thing about the hardwoods I cut is that a piece of metal that big would've stained that log for 4' in both directions. There isnt any stain at all in that log.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

red oaks lumber

marcel
thanks for the explanation, i didn't realize they grow from the top only.  :)

Ron Wenrich

I wonder when the last time it was that they had a twister in Washington state.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

Quote from: red oaks lumber on May 24, 2014, 08:23:23 PM
marcel
thanks for the explanation, i didn't realize they grow from the top only.  :)

ROL,

If that was true, your cattle fences would be reaching for the sky  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ST Ranch

board cutter - do you know the history of the stand of trees where the tree came from?  I am wondering if the site might have been hi-lead [overhead cable] logged at one time in the past and the peavy got caught up in the carrage rigging or something, when yarding in a turn or returning empty?
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

red oaks lumber

danny
up here we use fence posts not trees :D :D

isawlogs

Glad you use fence post, I have found my fare fair share of fencing inside of trees. Not always before sawing into them  >:( :o >:( ::)

Marcel

WDH

Quote from: red oaks lumber on May 25, 2014, 11:54:46 AM
danny
up here we use fence posts not trees :D :D

:D :D :D

And, the trees love you  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!