iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unknown bushes, two kinds.

Started by Eugene, July 04, 2004, 12:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eugene

I have some bushes I can't ID. I can't find my tree book but these aren't trees so it pobably wouldn't help anyway. I brought home a couple samples and scanned them.

The first one has some kind of nut/seed in a flat paper like shell. The bush is about 6 feet high. The leaf stems have three leaflets attached at the end.

The second one has many red berries about 1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter. The leaves are attached in opposing pairs on opposite sides of the branch the whole length of the branch. Not like a locust or walnut. The bush is about 7 feet high.

I would appreciate any help.

Eugene

PS. Any way to edit a photo discription? I spelled the color red as read.

Tom

while I'm not familiar with either, the first looks like examples of American Bladdernut

Bladdernut link

(You can use the "modify" button at the top right of each of your posts to easily edit it.)

Tom

Coast Red Elderberry looks similar, perhaps it is an elderberry.

Ash is pinnately compound but the leaflets are toothed.  I gues it's not ash.

I would almost bet it is a Ligustrum of one sort or another.

Maybe this key will help.

Dichotomous Key

SwampDonkey

Your first shrub is hoptree Ptelea trifoliata

Hoptree link

Your second shrub is a honeysuckle Lonicera sp.
From there it is id'ed by leaf pubescence, hollow pith or not, leaf shape, and buds. Peterson lists 9 honey suckles with red berries. Up here we have fly honeysuckle and bush honeysuckle with red berries and yellow flowers.

Here's a link to Belle's honeysuckle
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

forester99

I concur that yes the first species is the Common Hoptree and the second is honeysuckle :)

L. Wakefield

I would also guess that the honeysuckle is a Tatarian honeysuckle, as they do have the prolific production of red berries. You described it as a bush rather than a vine and that would be another reason to believe it to be the Tatarian honeysuckle. They are obnoxious around here. I cut them back severely.. lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

SwampDonkey

LW, does Tatarian honeysuckle have berries in mid summer though? The Belle's honesuckle is one that does. I know there's others and the picture being posted in this thread isn't Belle's, because the base of the leaf on Belle's is heart-shaped. Its possible that the species is quite variable as is leaves of tall white lettuce, for example.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!