iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clark 664 b torque converter and transmission

Started by ipreston100612, May 18, 2014, 04:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipreston100612

hello I own a 1974 clark 664b skidder and it needs a torque converter and transmission rebuild. anyone know where I can get the parts for this? or a used torque converter at least that actually works.

RKH Logging

where are you from? i know a few people in ontario canada with parts..

ipreston100612

im from mid maine, about thirty minutes from the boarder, I don't know how far from Ontario I am tho, would they ship parts to me?

Brleclaire

Goto clark-transmissions.com they have a exstensive trouble shooting guide and their site says they have parts available. There is a toll free number so it won't cost nothing to call and see if have anything that could help you out. At least they might point you in the right direction or try and find a local mechanic who has worked on clark trannys that might have some info to help you. The guys I work for used to run Clark 664 b,c and d's . I can look around the shop see if we still have any parts or maintence manuals if that will help.

treeslayer2003

why do you think both the converter and trans are shot? if the converter is bad, you can't tell if the trans is.
i have some converters but shipping would kill ya. they are not hard to rebuild but i have yet to see one fried.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ipreston100612

Quote from: Brleclaire on May 18, 2014, 08:50:31 PM
Goto clark-transmissions.com they have a exstensive trouble shooting guide and their site says they have parts available. There is a toll free number so it won't cost nothing to call and see if have anything that could help you out. At least they might point you in the right direction or try and find a local mechanic who has worked on clark trannys that might have some info to help you. The guys I work for used to run Clark 664 b,c and d's . I can look around the shop see if we still have any parts or maintence manuals if that will help.

this would be great, I think I went to that site and called already but haven't herd anything back yet. at the very least id like to get an exploded view of the torque converter to see what im getting into before I get into it.  I don't think that both the transmission and torque converter are shot but I have it at a shop and the guy said that the torque converter needs to be rebuilt and while at it might as well replace some seals in the transmission so that I don't end up doing it later.  also if someone has a torque converter they can ship to me id be willing to consider it depending on price cause as of now the shop wants $5-6000 so if shipping plus the part is less then that then it could save me money.

ipreston100612

treeslayer2003 do you know where I can get the parts to re-build the torque converter? I cant imagine its that hard to do.

treeslayer2003

dude i can't remember at the moment where i got that stuff...........i'll have to see if i can find the reciept.
the engine tune on the detroits in those clarks is funny, we have been through it a couple times on here at least.
if your tractor is just slugish and the converter is stalling, get the engine tuned first by a good detroit man. not just any diesel mechanic. it makes a huge difference.
lots of other manufactures use the clark trans, timberjack is one. the old michigan loaders as well.
you will need all numbers off your converter and trans when getting parts.
i would not give any one 5000 to rebiuld a clark converter.

oldseabee

Pretty rare for a trans and conv. to go at the same time, what test have you done to be sure?
alliedsystems.com handle Clark skidder parts and also you can download parts and operator manuals free.

ipreston100612

Well the drive line from the converter doesn't always turn and you can stop it with your hand when it does.  And when it had enough strength to move the skidder the transmission would push all its fluid out of the air vent in the back of it. Maybe someone has some other info for me on this? I'm just going by what the mechanic said.

oldseabee

Beware of Clark loader convertors, the trans pressure regulator mounted on the convertor is set for 180/220 PSI, the skidder requires 240/280 PSI to operate the winch free spool. Also check the the tag for model number standar was C272, but some were retrofitted with S273 convertors, the 2 and 3 indicate the diameter of the members inside.

ipreston100612

Why would the trans push all its fluid out of the air vent?

treeslayer2003

one of mine did that, only the converter vent.........it is not just a vent it also a check valve, i replaced it and it is fine 15 years later.
oldseabee is hot on these, he can help you more than me.
my 666 did that shaft not turning thing, i spent alot of money on it........engine tune was the problem on mine.
the seals are prolly the same on the loader converters seabee?
unless your clutches slip while full of fluid,i doubt the trans is gone.

rockwall

You are lucky oldseabee has chimed in and he is sooo knowledgable on clarks. My 664B was sluggish and didn't develop full power until a real detroit mechanic tuned it up and now she has all the power it should. You have definitely struck GOLD by coming to this site. You will save a bunch of money. I downloaded my manuals from alliedsystems .  Good luck.  Great parts people here in Maine are Harold's in Hampden and Davco in Farmington.

oldseabee

The breather on the convertor is a one way breather, it will let air in but has a check valve built in to prevent oil coming out.
This check valve is a plastic insert and they are prone to fall out over time. If you have high internal leakage in the convertor or a restriction in the drain back to tank circuit or blockage in the oil cooler oil will come out if the check is missing.
Stall speed with the C272 convertor on cable skidder is 1920-2080 RPM with hot oil and main hydraulic pressure a 1600 PSI
on cable with C273 Convertor 1720-1820 RPM and on cable and 1540-1820 RPM on grapple with 2000 PSI main hydraulics.

ipreston100612

Oldseabee, what about the vent on the back of the tranny? What would cause that to purge oil? Do you agree with my mechanic about needing to rebuild the tranny?........ there is a Detroit shop that I know of near me, I could bring the motor there for tuning if need be, thing is it was running fine with all power but started slipping out of gear and eventually just stopped moving all together.

snowstorm

fiber gear on the flywheel?? if it went fine then just stopped moving. that gear runs the whole show

oldseabee

The breather on the trans control valve is also one way. Have you taken any transmission clutch pressures? Quick test of trans is to lock brakes up or put machine against a stump, with the oil warmed up and the floor board off watch the shaft coming out of the convertor, put machine in forward first gear rev engine, if the wheel don't move the shaft should not move,do the same for each gear, if the shaft moves and the wheels don't the clutch is slipping, if it does it in both gears then it may be the forward clutch if it only moves in one gear that clutch is slipping. Clutch pressure should be 240 to 280 PSI at idle with hot oil, (that is if you have a clark winch, early machines had germatic winch and it only required 180 to 200 PSI

oldseabee

Snow Storm is right, but you would also loose your main hydraulics for blade and steer. If every thing is gone it could be the fiber gear, some times it will tear up and pack enough debri between the flywheel and the convertor that the drag will give you some hydraulics and some movement for a short while.

treeslayer2003

i forgot about that gear and i have put several in.........last was about 500.......NEW BOLTS clean the threads well and dry then red lock tight.
if you have now lost every thing, thats what to check first.

treeslayer2003

what we are all trying to tell you is, before you start throwing money at it you need to figure out just what is going on.

ipreston100612

Ok so I guess based on pressure checks the torque converter need To bE rebuilt. So does anyone know if I can do that one my own?

nhlogga

Quote from: ipreston100612 on May 18, 2014, 06:17:49 PM
im from mid maine, about thirty minutes from the boarder, I don't know how far from Ontario I am tho, would they ship parts to me?

Have you called Harold's Logging in Hampden, Me? They deal in Clark parts and have quite a lot in stock.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Wild willy

I have a 83 665 it runs great on the flats and flys down hill. Any slight hill I have to put it in first with or with out skid. Well I guess I can hold it to the floor and make it up minor hills in second empty.I can only pull average 2-3 trees no top wood because I have to just about skid completely in fist. When I bought it the breather on top is missing they had a long hose on it wired up to the hood area. It's pushing out trans fluid maybe a quart a day depending on how aggressive I am. I ordered a new breather from Harold's could this be my problem or something else? Thanks
Timberjack 225c/john deere 640/Clark 665 husky372xp/385xp/288xp
Bill Hibbs

Thank You Sponsors!