iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the most common size of solar kilns?

Started by LaneC, May 17, 2014, 02:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

Hello all.
I was wondering if there is a certain sized solar kiln that is most commonly used. In other words do most folks dry 8 to 10 foot material or say 10-12 foot. This is in reference to small scale operations. Just curious as to what length and why. Thanks for any input.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Den Socling

I don't know dudly squat about solar kilns but I can say length doesn't matter as long as you sticker properly.

pineywoods

I built 2, both 8X13 ft. MISTAKE. Neighbor sawyer looked at mine, built his 17 ft. Search "solar kiln build" by planman1954. I'm planning a new one 18 ft, with more fans..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LaneC

Thanks for the replies. That is a very good build there. Very interesting and a very good how to. Thanks again. Sorry about your friend.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The original Virginia Tech kiln I designed was a bit over 16', so that 16' lumber or two 8' packs would be ok.  A second version was a bit over 8' for 8' lumber.  The key number is that the roof area should be 1 sq ft for every 10 bf of capacity.  This energy input level will dry 4/4 oak well without drying too fast.  It is rare to need a kiln for longer lumber, as the pieces over 16' get so heavy (logs and lumber), bend so much when moved, and usually have grade reducing defects.  Note that if you put much 12' oak in a 16' kiln, you may have too much energy for 4/4 green material initially, so you would have to cover part of the collector.  Likewise, if drying 6/4 green oak, there will be too much energy input, so covering part of the collector is necessary.  If you air dry first, then we do not worry about this however.

The VT kiln plans are at
http://sbio.vt.edu/about/extension/vtsolar_kiln/
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

LaneC

Thanks very much for the replies. Makes perfect sense now. 16  foot boards on a set of forks? A lot of bending there. 18' probably too much. Thanks a bunch, I would not have thought about that. This site , the people and the knowledge here are awesome. It sounds like a 17 or 18' long kiln would be ideal. The thread of building that kiln is also a great tool. Thanks for taking the time to share with others.

LaneC

Pineywoods your next one will be 18' it sounds like. I would love to see it. It sound like you already have a lot of experience so you know what will work. Thanks again for the how to thread.

jdonovan

Quote from: LaneC on May 18, 2014, 11:14:09 AM
Thanks very much for the replies. Makes perfect sense now. 16  foot boards on a set of forks? A lot of bending there. 18' probably too much. Thanks a bunch, I would not have thought about that.

You can get wide frame forks for a skid loader that are 60, or even 72 between the forks. This helps a lot with the bending vs standard 48" forks. If you are handling much 16' material you may want to look into them

LaneC

Ok Jdonavan thanks. I appreciate the input.

Planman1954

The solar kiln I documented building ran for 8 weeks straight in order to dry lumber for my nephews camp. It did its thing well! Check out the new camp thread:  Building a camp for my nephew. Happy drying!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

LaneC

Yes sir, that is a mighty fine camp. I have been keeping up with this and thank you for sharing. I hope to be able to one day, do the same thing for my kids and their kids. I think it is a true blessing and an interesting journey you are on, from the cutting of the trees to the installation of them as a finished product. You cannot give more of yourself to any project than that. Hopefully it will last for a long long time. I hope yall have many pleasant times and memories throughout the use of the camp.

SawyerBrown

piney, I'm wondering why 18' (and not 16')?  Unless you're cutting your own lumber, you've got to go to 20' and then cut part of it off, and I imagine that's special order for the big-box stores ...

I'm also in the process of sketching one up, I'm wondering if there is advice on the door arrangement.  The VT plan loads from the end, which to me seems easier to design and build, but harder to load.  The "north wall" load seems the best, but at 16'-18', you probably need a post in the middle.  I'm thinking two pairs of double doors??
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

pineywoods

Sawyer, the 18 ft dimension is outside to outside, which will give me a 17 ft opening across the back side, still a tight squeeeze for 16 ft 6 in lumber. I would never put a small door on the end. I stack and sticker outside and then use a tractor with forks to load the entire stack in one quick operation. At my age, I tend to use the services of Mr kubota wherever possible. ;D Two swinging doors, frame welded out of 1 inch square tubing, sheet metal pop riveted on the outside, 1 inch foam sheet glued inside.  Planman came up with 2 smaller swinging doors and a center panel that is completely removable, all made from lumber off his mill. Go with the full width opening, more trouble to build, but your back will thank you...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

QuoteI tend to use the services of Mr kubota wherever possible. ;D
:D :D

I hear ya on that one... and "sometimes" feel a bit guilty picking up a small stick from the path and moving it out of the path using the forks on the tractor....   ::)    (but not too much guilt)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!