iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bull pine video

Started by CCC4, May 17, 2014, 12:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Sorry about my camera guy...he is hired as a skidder OP not a filming crew.  :) Smoked my bar tip on the tree before this one. I should have fell this one a little faster. Anyway, Thanks for viewing!  :)

http://youtu.be/FR-ZLDks2go

ozarkgem

what exactly is Bull Pine?  I want some of those logs
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

JakeG

Quote from: ozarkgem on May 17, 2014, 09:06:56 PM

Loblolly pine. People call em bull pine when they get nice and healthy. :)
$5.00 fine for whinin'

JakeG

Nice video sir, you and the camera man did well!
$5.00 fine for whinin'

WDH

That one looks like an old shortleaf pine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

celliott

Quote from: JakeG on May 17, 2014, 09:09:54 PM

Up north, we call bull pine any pine (usually Eastern white pine) any large, oversized pine that has the form of being open grown. Fat, really limby, gnarly tree. Also called cabbage pine, pasture pine, etc.

Regional terms differences  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

CCC4

Quote from: celliott on May 18, 2014, 08:33:12 AM
Quote from: JakeG on May 17, 2014, 09:09:54 PM

Up north, we call bull pine any pine (usually Eastern white pine) any large, oversized pine that has the form of being open grown. Fat, really limby, gnarly tree. Also called cabbage pine, pasture pine, etc.

Regional terms differences  :)

Question..."What is Bull pine?"  ^^^ This! Exactly what I would have said. Yes, regional terminology will vary, I have heard the guys from the Pee In Dubbya refer to them as being "Wolfy". 

CCC4

Quote from: WDH on May 18, 2014, 07:29:06 AM
That one looks like an old shortleaf pine.

Yes Sir, probably so. treeslayer and I have discussed this same topic. Honestly I can't tell the difference in the pine here from one from another so I classify them all with a "blanket" classification and refer to them as Yellow Pine.

CCC4

Quote from: JakeG on May 17, 2014, 09:14:39 PM
Nice video sir, you and the camera man did well!

Thanks Jake! If the new guy stays long enough...I will have him shooting videos like a Pro! LOL!

ozarkgem

is there a big difference between Loblolly and YP? Is one better lumber than the other?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Ianab

Quote from: ozarkgem on May 18, 2014, 07:35:19 PM
is there a big difference between Loblolly and YP? Is one better lumber than the other?

Yellow pine is used to describe several similar trees. Loblolly is one of the species. Also Slash, Shortleaf, Ponderosa and Jeffery pine. The timber is similar, so it all usually gets lumped in together.

So a Loblolly is a Yellow Pine, but a Yellow pine might not be a Loblolly.  ;) :P

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

The yellow pines have either 2 or three needles to a fascile.  A fascile is the little thing at the base of the needle cluster that holds the needles together.

The white pines have 5 needles to a fascile. 

Yellow pines are harder and denser than white pines. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

treeslayer2003

yup yellow pine is lobloly but there are many different ones.......LOL
seriously though foresters, there are several kinds here they just call lob.....can any of you school me/us on the different sub varieties? for instance i know a short leaf when i see it but what is heart pine really? and is it what my father calls old growth? they have bark that looks like a giraffe and flat top crown. they are almost gone here.

CCC4

Quote from: ozarkgem on May 18, 2014, 07:35:19 PM

edit... I'm sorry, I had it my mind that askd about White Pine vs. Yellow pine. Here is my take on that I guess...OMG I'm an idiot... :) whee

Good question! I can put each type in a scenario and tell ya why one might be better than the other. For instance...trusses would be stronger in yellow pine but waaay too heavy. Yellow pine can make good stud walls but the normal stud quality of pine is generally pretty low and has knots...you can take a yellow pine heavily knotted 2X4, throw it up in the air and it will shatter at nearly every knot, probably due to the heavily resinated features in pine. Ever heard of a "Joggling Board"?? My Mother was a S. Carolina native, down there before t.v. n stuff people actually used to sit out on their porches...go figure. Anyway, a Joggling Board is generally a Full 2 X 12 about 18ft. long supported on the very ends by sawhorse/rocking chair looking deals. The lumber used is ALWAYS Yellow Pine and completely knotless. I have been around a Joggling Board all my life and have witnessed 7 to 8 adults sitting on this board rocking up and down! You could never even begin to do that with white pine.

I probably didn't really even answer your question did I? LOL! There are applications for each is what I was trying to say! LOL!...should have just said that first I guess.  :)

treeslayer2003

now see, trusses here MUST be made of YP..........clear #1 of course.

CCC4

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on May 18, 2014, 09:22:23 PM
now see, trusses here MUST be made of YP..........clear #1 of course.

I sawed some stuff out for a sawmill shed, I would guess each was nearly double in weight. Slayer, I totally answered that guys question wrong...WOW! Spent too much time in the Sun today  ::) LOL!

WDH

The best grade of southern yellow pine is preferred for trusses. 

CCC4, you are right about the studs.  Mostly SPF from the West and Canada.  Southern yellow pine is commonly used for joists and rafters, though, because of the greater strength.

The yellow pines pressure treat well, so a lot of it goes into treated lumber. 

Thank You Sponsors!