iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loose splits in a Dump Trailer?

Started by rasman57, May 16, 2014, 09:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasman57

Can anyone educate me on a general idea of how much firewood (cords) to fill a 16 foot long gooseneck type landscaping or firewood dump trailer.   I don't know the actual size beyond that description.  I was wondering if they are considered like 2-3 cords ?   Just looking for a starting point to get an idea how long my helpers need to be loading.    Thanks

thechknhwk

I think a full cord loose stacked is referenced at 175 cu ft for 16" pieces.

beenthere

rasman
What is the cu. ft. volume of your trailer... level to the top of the sides?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

glassman_48

rasman,
I have a 12' dump trailer and I stacked 3 face cords (1 pulp cord) and threw them in loose to see how high it came up on the sides.  After that I process my wood right into my dump trailer until I get near the same each time.  Then I sell by the trailer load and tell customers its approximately 1 pulp cord. 

SPD748

My dump trailer is 6 1/2' wide x 14' long with 2' sides for 182 cu ft. When loaded (loose) to the top of the sides with split wood in the 16"-18" range, it stacks out to one cord every time. Just to be sure though, I always throw in a little 'hump' in the middle.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Corley5

190 cubic feet for a loose cord.  I started out using 180 but it would stack up short sometimes.  190 works best for me.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

stumper

Why do you ask?  If you are selling check with your state for their regulations.  Some states do not have them other states are very specific.  Maine being the most heavily treed state our regs. are very specific.  I would expect Michigan to be as well.

rasman57

Thanks.  I have not seen the trailer...only know it is a 16 foot dump trailer that firewood/landscapers use.  I thought I remembered reading here on the forum these will hold 2 thrown cords of splits.  Of course sideboards and actual dimensions will change exact amounts.     Stumper, this is in Illinois and not commercial.  Cleaning up the damaged and EAB.   

glassman_48

rasman57,
If your planning on selling some I would just stack 6 face cords and see how much of that you can get in.  My 12' dump has 10" sides of wood and my 1 pulp cord goes to the steel on the sides and heaped up pretty good in the middle.  I took a picture of the wood stacked on the ground, then in the trailer and no one complained. 

cutter88

my tandem dump trailer is 12'x7'8'' inside and I can easily throw 6 face cord in it
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

glassman_48

cutter88,
My 12' dump is 80" wide, mine is thrown in loose not stacked, I dont know if I even stacked mine that I could get 6 f.c. in mine, I would have to do the math, I try not to handle the firewood any more than I have to.  I wish I could figure out how to get a picture on here :-\

NWP

Quote from: Corley5 on May 17, 2014, 08:09:56 AM
190 cubic feet for a loose cord.  I started out using 180 but it would stack up short sometimes.  190 works best for me.

X2
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

cutter88

Quote from: glassman_48 on May 18, 2014, 11:45:55 AM
cutter88,
My 12' dump is 80" wide, mine is thrown in loose not stacked, I dont know if I even stacked mine that I could get 6 f.c. in mine, I would have to do the math, I try not to handle the firewood any more than I have to.  I wish I could figure out how to get a picture on here :-\

sides are 4' and we load it up good, deliver about 270 face cord a year in that old trailer and have never had one single complaint of people short on wood in 4 years :) we usauly only put 5 cord but if its close haul we load it up with 6....
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Thank You Sponsors!