iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The milling job from hell. A rant, by Jack.

Started by Delawhere Jack, May 16, 2014, 04:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

It's good to keep in mind how lucky we generally are doing portable milling. I've now got 51 jobs under my belt, and by far most of my clients have been really nice people to work with. Sure, there have been a few odd types, but overall this has been a very rewarding endeavor. Until yesterday.

It has never crossed my mind before, but 15 minutes after arriving at the job I was thinking of packing up and leaving.
Have you ever met someone who has to disagree with every suggestion you make?  >:( I think it's some form of social disorder, and it gets on my last nerve QUICK! >:(

After farting around for 20+ minutes to position the mill (which should have taken 5 minutes) we finally load a log. Between each cut, the client and helper walk over and sit on lawn chairs. They develop a habit of coming to get the boards off the loading arms just as I'm preparing to gig the head back for the next cut. Then, each board has to be banged on the bunks to knock some sawdust off. I suggest dusting them away from the mill so that I can keep milling. One of many suggestions that fall on deaf ears.

Against my recommendation he's got me quartersawing 16" logs. Then he looks disappointed when they yield very narrow stock.

They're dead stacking the boards in a garage and I ask if he knows that they need to be stickered. Yes he says, he's going to put them in the crawlspace under the house. As I often do, I look at the customer and repeat, "Airflow, airflow, airflow...." "You won't get enough airflow in a crawspace." (One 16" x 8" foundation vent on each end. Of course, he knows better...... ::) "There's plenty of airflow under there when the wind blows." Whatever, if you want you're wood to rot who am I to tell you otherwise.

Suddenly at about 4 hours in (my minimum billable hours per job) he says this will be the last log we mill. There were still 4-5 decent logs left, and we could have gotten through all of them in 5 hours if they had listened to me at all.

Job over, cash in wallet, I've still got my happy face one, so I hit the road.

On the highway I start to feel an odd vibration. It seemS to only occur on throttle. If I lift off the gas it goes away. How far is that next service area? I really don't want to pull over on this narrow shoulder. 4 miles from the service area KAPOW! Left rear tire blows out. Now I'm on that narrow shoulder changing a tire with traffic going by at 65MPH. :o After having to cut two rusted bolts to get the spare free, and pulling a McGyver to get the lug nuts off with a 1/2" ratchet (custom alum rims use non-standard size lug nuts). The crank for that tiny little bottle jack (Thanks Ford!!!!!) is missing. Another McGyver moment to operate the jack with a 3/8" ratchet and a 5/16" hex key socket. 1 1/2 later I'm my way again.

The upside is I made just enough on the job to replace both rear tires, which I was planning to do anyway because they were RETREADS!!! smiley_devil

ladylake

If your working by the hour let them ding around as much as they like, I work by the hour mostly and most will get that board off soon as I finish the cut and even working by the hour it still **^&& me off to see someone dawdling around .  You can bet that lumber will mold stored in a crawl space, will be a good lesson for them.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

red oaks lumber

you should of started to pack, they really start listening quick at that point. :) i have no time for waterheads like that. ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

Yep it will happen again, sorry about your roadside troubles.  I have to agree, when I am told how to saw, it goes to the hourly mode pretty quick.  only happened once.  one of my first early jobs came about the same way.  The fellow packed up and left. After talking to the fellow I Said I can't do it for you, so sorry about wasting your time. 4 months later he called back, and all was good.  Head scratching for sure,  but what ever, some folks learn the hard way, worst part is often times bad mouthing our performance sometimes occurs from these kind of folks. The plus side is most folks already know them so it does not really matter.  that's my rant,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Nomad

I feel your pain.  The worst part of it is, when that stacked lumber turns into a science experiment in HIS mind it'll all be your fault. ::)  At least he didn't accuse you of spiking his logs with nails so you could charge him for blades.  Had that happen once too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

Sorry to hear about a tough one. I've found being in business that you have to be a teacher. That is why repeat customers are so desirable, assuming you've got them trained. :)

nomad, I have a hard time understanding thinking like that. How are you getting rich selling them bands? You aren't working if you are changing bands. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

A crawl space?  I have never crawled to sticker lumber.  It is hard enough to do it standing up  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scully

I know man oh how I know !!! What gets me is all the stuff I should have said or done ..... But one thing for sure they were obviously way much smarter then you LOL !
I bleed orange  .

WDH

He will be able to grow mushrooms with that lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I guess that you could call that a "windshield day", but you can still get smacked on "bug days".  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ocklawahaboy

Crawl space huh... Why don't they just put it in the attic.  That'd be much easier...
Some people.

stefan

Quote from: Magicman on May 16, 2014, 09:37:36 PM
I guess that you could call that a "windshield day", but you can still get smacked on "bug days".  :o

As requested...
Dire straits - the bug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIHMN1rFi9s&feature=player_detailpage

backwoods sawyer

I feal for you ;)
I have a repeat customer that I cringe when he calls and he has a milling project coming up ::)

Worked the truck hard today getting the mill on site and back. Hit the hyway and blew a radiator hose, hate the taste of that stuff. Had to do the Magyver thing with a couple types of tape and a pair of eztra hose clamps, it is still holding even after pulling the mountain on the way home, will hit the parts store in the morning.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

SawyerBrown

I guess we just have to remember all the good customers that appreciate the work we do and the product they end up with. As you said, most are just really good people, a lot don't understand the whole process of dropping a tree, bucking, milling, drying etc and are very appreciative of any help we can provide. Those folks are fun to work with as they learn.

And then once in a while ....  I feel your pain, but I also found myself chuckling at your story (except for the blown tire).  Hopefully in time you'll look back and do the same.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

bandmiller2

My mill is setup stationary, the customers and logs come to me. I'll pretty  much cut anything they want but I do it my way. Customers get full measure pressed down and running over. If they don't like what I do I'll gladly give them direction to other mills. You must have a poker face and never act like you need the work. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 17, 2014, 06:49:15 AM
If they don't like what I do I'll gladly give them direction to other mills.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

yukon cornelius

thank you for confirming that I don't want to mill for others. I have a lot of request but they have never came through. I would rather buy logs and sell the lumber. I mill only for what I build with and sell the projects. we also restore old cars/trucks/ tractors. I buy them restore them and sell them. people don't understand why I wont let them bring their stuff here to get rebuilt. I tell them if I did your equipment and you don't like it we are both stuck with it. if I buy it, restore it and you come to look at it and you don't like it, well don't buy it.

sorry for the problems! some days your the dog, some days the hydrant.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Hilltop366

Jack there is one in every crowd on matter what you do. Just got to move on, I'm sure you will be too busy if they call back.

Quote from: yukon cornelius on May 17, 2014, 10:04:28 AM
we also restore old cars/trucks/ tractors. I buy them restore them and sell them.

Hmm. I would like to hear and see more please if you care to share. Perhaps a new thread would be in order as not to highjack Jack's rant.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: yukon cornelius on May 17, 2014, 10:04:28 AM
thank you for confirming that I don't want to mill for others. I have a lot of request but they have never came through.

Cornelius, don't let my one bad day sour you on milling for others. Like I said, most milling clients are really nice folks. Heck, on all day jobs most of them even provide lunch! ;) This guy really just rubbed me the wrong way from the get go. I arrive on site and he's sitting at the end of the driveway on a little tractor. I start to back in and I've got to holler from the truck THREE TIMES, could you move your tractor please.

The other client that bothered me was a guy who kept yelling at his wife that everything she did she was doing wrong. A tiny little woman, 5'4", maybe 115lbs. She helped offload and stack almost every single piece of wood and he never stopped berating her for two days straight. Most of the boards weighed nearly as much as she did. I was Dang close to telling him that if he didn't want her I'd take her.  :o

barbender

Jack those people that berate others around them are a sort I will not work around. Most of them will treat you sweeter than pie because they don't have the stones to get nasty with you, while screaming and belittling their spouse and family. I won't do it. I figure, whatever they have going, put it away for the time we're doing the job, I can't concentrate in that enviroment. It could be someone that treats an employee or coworker like that too, I've seen plenty of that.
Too many irons in the fire

drobertson

After reading the last post Jack, I have to agree, this would be a tail gate meeting of the minds, I if it can work then let it, if not, it is a pull out for sure, let him buy his own mill, He may be happier,(I doubt it) I really don't like big mouths, regardless of the check.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tmarch

I would have simply told her to get in my truck or whatever and she could work for me rather than him.  I DO NOT put up with someone downgrading anyone in public, if you got a b**** do it in private.  Maybe why I'm not a good politician  ???
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

bandmiller2

Most problems with customers is their ignorance of the milling process, what we can and can't do with their logs. I spend a few minutes explaining things especially board feet and how their charged and stretch a string along bowed logs so they can see the losses. Most of the folks I've cut for are reasonable people they just don't know and are nervous. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 17, 2014, 08:35:02 PM
Most problems with customers is their ignorance of the milling process, what we can and can't do with their logs. I spend a few minutes explaining things especially board feet and how their charged and stretch a string along bowed logs so they can see the losses. Most of the folks I've cut for are reasonable people they just don't know and are nervous. Frank C.
this is really it, the ones that want to tell you how? they have read a pile of info, but never sawn a lick, or not that much.

Magicman

I am yet to find a customer that would make me want to quit sawing for the public.  I have been glad to finish and leave a few but I had their $$$. :) 

I well remember one such that I was glad to finish.  He called me a week later and had twice as many logs this time.  I was really glad to leave the second time.  (But his wife fed us some really good Cajun cooking meals.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!