iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replace this seal and piston?

Started by Coach, May 15, 2014, 10:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach

Need some recommandions on these. The first pic is a Husky 285cd crancase seal.  The seal stayed in when i split the crankcase, flywheel side. So i presume i ruined it when i put back together, eh? 

And this is a piston off a Husky 51. Has a smallish scratch and chip above the ring. Ring is totally warn through and was split, but piston and cylinder are otherwise in good condition. I presume this piston is usable, right?

sharkey

To know if the seal is any good, the case will need to be pressure tested.  We replace seals, bearings and gaskets on every rebuild.  They are wear parts.  As for your piston, it looks ok but if you really want to know you need to measure it.  In a piston ported engine, its the skirts that seal the ports and when they wear they rock back and forth in the bore.  Eventually they will break.  Meteor makes a great replacement piston for a reasonable price.  Baileys should have one for your engine, $25-30.

7sleeper

The seal looks like it is bulging outward! I wouldn't trust it a second. And yes I would replace both seals. Seals are cheap compared to the rest. Unless it is some no longer available part.

If the rest of the piston looks the same, new rings and good to go! Of course after measurement.

NCFarmboy

I would replace seals!  Agree w/7 piston can be reused.  I have one thats a lot worse looking in a Husky 42 that runs great.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Coach

Got the seal out. This is what the shaft looks like. This being an early 80's saw, are the newer models the same? No grooves, which i thought i noticed on the other side.

So do i just grease it and slide carefully in?

HolmenTree

I lubricate my seal's with what mix oil I'm running in the saw's gas.
Like already said seals are cheap and should be replaced with any rebuild, drive side usually wear out first.
Piston? what you said how bad the ring was I'm afraid the ring groove may be just as bad, Meteor pistons from Baileys are reasonable in price and are high quality, you may want to go one step further and buy a complete p/c kit....not sure how bad your cylinder is , probably not good from the looks of your piston.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Coach

Now to the oiler worm gear. This is a brass gear. Can anyone tell me if a washer goes behind it?  Was none there

Thank You Sponsors!