iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer vs. Moulder

Started by ToddC, July 02, 2004, 04:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToddC

Will a large 12 inch wide 4 head moulder work like a planer to plane rough lumber?  If so what are the disadvatages it will have.

Sackett

Todd,
   I ran an old American moulder for several years as a planer,just used straight knives. I'm sure there is some disadvantage to doing that,but don't know what they would be. They're made a little lighter than planers,so that could have some effect. I didn't have any trouble.

ToddC

Sackett thats what I was hoping to hear. Was the moulder hard to adjust for different sizes of lumber.
I appologize to all  for maybe putting this in the wrong forum. :)

Sackett

Naw Todd, wasn't too bad to adjust,had more trouble with sideheads than top 'n bottom. Once we got her set,it;ud stay set forever.
   Flat belt drive,no guards,pulled it with a Jubilee Ford tractor

Oregon_Sawyer

I sure hope it will work like that as that is what I intend to use my moulder for most of the time.

My moulder weighs 9,000 lbs.  I plan to use it mostly for 2x6, 2x4, 2x2.  Probably with a radius on the corner.

Now if I can just find an electrician to hook it up. I have all the blower pipes and the suction system is up and working.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Thank You Sponsors!