iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Basal area spray question

Started by curdog, May 15, 2014, 12:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curdog

I've read a lot of research saying basal area spraying can be done anytime of year, but is it better to wait for decreased sap flow or in the dormant season. Sap flow in the early spring is not good for hack and squirt, but I wanted to see if anyone has first hand experience with basal spraying early in the year.
Thanks

WDH

I have done it without any problems. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CuddleBugFirewood

My dad likes to basel bark bush honeysuckle in the fall.  Normally during TSI in the spring we cut-stump and treat it that way. 

I just tried some elm about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks ago to see if it would work in the spring.  I will check and get back with you.  It looked like the leaves were starting to wilt on most of them after a few days.  But it has been raining all this week and haven't got back to that place to see if it worked. 

mpuste

I succesfully used Crossbow mixed with diesel for several years to treat the stumps of everything from elm to bush honeysuckle -- until last spring.  Just about every bush honeysuckle I treated last spring resprouted.  Sap flow is the only explanation I could come up with.

Claybraker

I've used it year round. The advantage to the dormant season is it's easier to hit the target without foliage in the way. That's especially helpful when I'm killing grapevines and poison ivy.

curdog

Thanks for the replies, everything I've sprayed has been foliar. I've got some Sweetgum for the nature trail at a school that I'm leaning towards basal bark spray.( not basal area, it was late in my original post :D).  Most tracts we just run a skidder with a spray tank through and it covers everything in the mid rotation release, but this is a small area and it's a little more manicured then most pine stands, so the skidder wouldn't work as well.

Claybraker

I've had sorta mixed results on Sweetgum. Young smooth barked it works fine, but when the bark gets corky it's not quite as effective. Plus, it takes a lot of material. You might consider taking a hatchet and squirt bottle for those.

WDH

Tordon 101M is very good for hack-n-squirt for sweetgum.  With hack-n-squirt, it is easier to keep the Tordon confined to the target tree in the hacked frill.  With basal spray, it is more likely to get in the soil and kill something that it is not supposed to as it is soil active for a good while.  I use Garlon 4 for basal spray as it is not soil active and less likely to do reciprocal damage.  For basal spray, I mix it 1 part Garlon to 3 parts diesel fuel. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

curdog

I'm leaning toward garlon since the school is going to buy it themselves, and its " over the counter". I'm bouncing back and forth between basal bark, hack and squirt or cut stump. The cut stump would be a one time trip and leave everything looking nice. The treated trees are 3-6" dbh on average. Trying to promote oak and poplar regen in opening in a white pine plantation. Got a little autumn olive to take care of as well. I guess I'll toss my options over in my head to figure which way would suit them best.
Thanks.

WDH

I suspect that basal spray is the fastest, hack-n-squirt and cut stump the most effective, and cut stump the most time consuming and the most work. 

curdog

The more I think about it, the cut stump method will give the objective of aesthetics a big help....... and I have the help of inmate labor. Fire season is now over so I can get 1-2 five man crews to cut and spray for a day and leave the area really nice for an outdoor classroom next fall.

Claybraker

Sounds like a plan, especially if labor cost isn't an issue.

I don't think you'll be happy with the results basal spraying Sweetgum over 3" diameter or so. It's going to take lot$ of herbicide, and even then you won't get a consistent kill. Or at least I didn't.

WDH

Sounds like a fine plan.  Take some before and after pics for us. 

Thank You Sponsors!