iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Could've been a lot worse

Started by NWP, May 13, 2014, 10:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWP

I got up bright and early this morning and drove my grapple truck about 80 miles to a job to haul a load of brush and stumps from a construction site. Got there, got it loaded pretty quick. I had to reposition the truck so I could reach the last little pile of brush with the grapple. The ground was a little uneven but not bad. As I was about to where I wanted to be there was a loud pop. I wasn't sure what it was. I thought maybe the rear springs popped in a bind or something. I hop out and load the last of the brush. The job foreman pulls up on the passenger side of the truck and i go around to tell him I'm all done. He's standing there and points at the truck and says, "that doesn't look good."  The tie rod end had popped apart and the passenger side tire was turned out. It was worn completely out. The steering hadn't had any excessive play in it. I sat there for the next 2 1/2 hrs waiting on my wife to bring a new one from the city. $40. While I was sitting there, I knew The Lord must have been watching over me. There were so many different scenarios that could have happened in regards to timing and location of that coming apart. And yes, I got a replacement end for the other side too.

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

ST Ranch

I too had a similiar experience last year with my 2005 dodge one ton diesel. It only had about 50 thoudsand miles on it and mostly highway roads - the 04-07??? dodges had/have some severe front suspension issues - some have recalls.

Anyway I had just completed a 1000 mile highway trip with camper and horse trailer [2 horses] over the Rockies to Alberta and back, when I was heading back to work on a bush road at about 25 mph and the front tie rod seperated and no steering. Fortunately going slow, no damage and same thing, a long wait for my wife to bring me the parts from town.

I too had some time to reflect and be thankful it did not seperate at 60 mph on the freeway. - Some days we are either just lucky or ??? possibly something/one is lookin out for us or maybe given us time to think about the important things in life.
Tom.
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

tantoy

Same thing happened to my cousins truck ( just 1 ton dodge 2006) on a back road about 30mph. I accused him of maybe driving with sloppy steering. He said truck had no wandering or bad handling. We both talked about all the bad places it could of happened.Oh, when it fell apart he said he hit the brakes and the truck just slowly veered off to the shoulder. Then he walked to the tavern and bought every one a beer while he waited for the tow truck (true story)!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

sawguy21

That is why I regularly check front end and drive line components, can't grease them anymore. I had a tie rod end come apart due to lack of maintenance on a 300 dollar beater years ago, it was not fun.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Howdy

I remember like it was just last week when my steering box came loose from the frame.  I was high up in the Eagle Cap mountains in Northeastern Oregon attending summer school at an environmental field station run by the local university.  The camp was 40 miles up windy rough logging trails into a wilderness area with not a hope of help anywhere. 

The good Lord was keeping me safe that day when I came around yet another curve and the steering wheel was a turning but the car was going straight into the bank on the high side, not over the edge and down the mountain on the low side.  It helped I'm sure that I was traveling at a very slow speed but all that did was prevent any body damage and give me time to make sure my heart was beating good. 

thecfarm

Yes,you was some lucky. If you would of moved it from that spot something else probably would of bend,broke,bent or something.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

maybe you should spend a little more time under that truck looking it over

luvmexfood

Quote from: Howdy on May 14, 2014, 02:00:33 AM
I remember like it was just last week when my steering box came loose from the frame.  I was high up in the Eagle Cap mountains in Northeastern Oregon attending summer school at an environmental field station run by the local university.  The camp was 40 miles up windy rough logging trails into a wilderness area with not a hope of help anywhere. 

The good Lord was keeping me safe that day when I came around yet another curve and the steering wheel was a turning but the car was going straight into the bank on the high side, not over the edge and down the mountain on the low side.  It helped I'm sure that I was traveling at a very slow speed but all that did was prevent any body damage and give me time to make sure my heart was beating good.

And change underware? I probably would have had to.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

barbender

Sometimes tie rods and King pins really need to be pried on to break them loose so you can see the play in them. That's definitely something that have been spotted during your annual DOT inspection. That's what your paying for.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!