iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Mill

Started by Bruno of NH, May 13, 2014, 04:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Finally got hooked up with my contact at the credit union .
Got my loan for a new Thomas Bandsaw Mill Modle 8013 20ft no flex track with trailer kit 13" tires .
Picking it up Friday or Monday in Maine 5 hours one way from my house i think?
Can not wait to start sawing !!!
Never sawed before if i need advice can i ask you people on the forum for Help ?
Thanks Jim (bruno of NH)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Lonely Sawer

Welcome to the FF. Ask away. There is alot of sawmill people on this site that will help with any questions you
have.
Norwood LM29
Sthil 020 16" bar
Sthil 039  24" bar
Kubota L3130 HST W/Backhoe
78 Ford F-800 Boom truck
2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew
Yamaha Viking SXS

36 coupe

Good choice on the Thomas sawmill.Dale Thomas founded the company.He has passed on  but his son Jon will see that you are pleased with your new mill.Dale delivered my 6013 and showed me how to run it.

Dewey

If you have Time come look me up I am about a half hour from Thomas !!
And Yes they are good people good luck !!

Magicman

Congrats Jim, on your new happy.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Good for you,you got the wide one.   ;D  Put inch marks on your logs stops. I marked mine at 4,5,6 and so on. 4 inches is really 3½ and 5 is really 4½. That gives me a ½" to clear the stops. This way when sawing your flitches,edgeing,you don't have to wonder if you will clear the log stop. Saw head set at 4 inches and log stop set at 4,you have a ½" to spare. Have fun.
Do a good job with the marks. I just drew a line on mine. Going to make it look good some day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. You are in good company for a journey you are going to like. bg

Bruno of NH

Any tips on setting up my new mill would be welcomed
I'm hoping to have time to build a small mill shed
Work is real busy right now
Have some spruce and hemlock to saw for shed
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

I suppose you have a tractor? I made a log deck,just a little higher than the mill. I put the logs onto the deck and than roll them onto the mill. I use 2 pieces of ¼" flat stock,about 4"wide by 3 feet long to bridge the gap. Got a cant dog or a peavey? Logrite has nice one on the left. Put a 2X4 in front and back of the logs on the deck. You don't want one behind you rolling when you are moving a log.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Hello Thecfarm
I have a Massey 1560 cab TLB to move logs .
Do you have pics of your log deck ?
I will get log rite pv or cant .

Bruno of NH

My brother In law is a logger he will help me get logs to mill
He logs in the baker river area in Nh

James MacDonald

Bruno,
Congratulations on your investment! I have only been sawing now for a couple of months and learned everything from this Forum.  Searched framing lumber and got a great thread on dimensional cutting.  Searched sawmill shed and got lots of ideas there.  Do not shy from watching you tube clips as seeing how others operate, helps spot tricks, short cuts and decision making choices.  I used to get "lost" part way into a log, trying to maximize cuts and get it right. With time I get confused less and make better boards. Almost everything Magic Man posts has really helped. It is easy to read his posts as they make it simple.
Try and set up so the wind blows away form you. Not always possible.  Do not worry about sawing into your machine.  It rarely happens. I bought a sawmill used that the old Owner got all the right parts tooth marked....So I do not have to!
Jimmy Mac
You should see what I Saw

Timberking 2000, 1964 Hyster FL, Kabota 43DT w/grapple, Case 580C hoe and never enough Tools

thecfarm

I set mine up on gravel and I do not have the trailer package. So mine is lower to the ground. I just brought them round cement pads,6 inches thick to put the legs on. Never had a problem in all these years. Not the best picture.

Just 2 logs,I sawed of top and bottom to make them flat and so they would roll easier. You might be able to see the flat stock I use for the bridge. You might havs to crib something up on each side. Or to lower it dig 2 holes in the ground and put the wheels in each hole.Make the holes big enough so water is not a problem.

Thank You Sponsors!