iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

car axle wood splitter???

Started by shinnlinger, May 12, 2014, 09:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Great find on that video.   That's the one I had seen a few years back, but couldn't find it recently.    As for speed, the big advantage I see is the cycle back.   Some decent garage door springs or a counterweight could make that pretty quick.   He mentioned how he geared it so any tractor could spin it and obviously the engine wasn't revving very high, so it could be faster but for safety that seemed about right.  That said, using a transmission AND pulleys with the 3/4 ton axle does speak to the gear reduction that will be needed. 

Another intriguing aspect is using the opposite wheel as a winch as he does, but it could also be made into a shear or chunker for the smaller stuff. 

Wheels turning in my mind anyway....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Hilltop366

That's the one I could not find!

Thanks r.man, I wanted to watch it again.

shinnlinger

This guy uses an axle setup with supersplit parts and the other side is a chunker shear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RhucNDc3aM
Shinnlinger

r.man

Wow, I don't consider myself a safety freak but that guys fingertips and or fingers are not long for this world if he doesn't change his habits. I am not a huge believer in over-guarding but that machine needs something to keep his fingers back from the chunker and he needs a table so he will let go of the blocks being split.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

shinnlinger

Agree with you on that guys safety setup but It showed it is possible.  In researching  this  on line,  There are lots of guys  that take a 2 speed rear and spin it with a tire driven by a pipe welded to a small engine.  I think I might try that first as a power  source.   One of those  chunker guys stuck a large propane cylinder over the whole thing and made it much safer.  Unless I get into the smoker/charcoal/gasifier biz, I don't want to chunk but see it as a way to quickly cut up smaller branches.  I would mount a standard rim on it as well to use it as a capstan for bigger blocks of wood. 
Shinnlinger

r.man

There are european machines that do the same as the chunker but also use a 90 degree piece on the cutting wheel that splittes the chunked piece as it cuts it. They are used for branchwood and polewood and look to be fast and low maintenance.

Hilltop366

Those euro chunkers are slick, I seen a few tube clips of some that fed the stick in from the top so that gravity does the work for you once you get the stick in. I think one was mounted on a excavator boom.

Now if a person needed a heavy flywheel could you fill a tire with fluid, and would it self balance once spinning?

beenthere

Quoteself balance once spinning

??  What does that mean?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

If the tire would balance it self as it is turning by the fluid going to he outer part of the inside of the tire evenly.

beenthere

Might depend.

Likely the fluid would just sit in the tire and not spin with it at lower rpm, but at some point the friction may increase as the rpm of the tire picks up. However, before centrifugal force  could move the fluid out to the outer part evenly, there likely would be a very unstable rpm that would throw things out of kilter.

Such happens with tractor tires that have fluid in them. People have experienced the unstable effects of the fluid when the speed of the tractor (such as if coasting down a hill fast) reaches the point that the fluid starts moving around and over the top inside the tire. If that makes sense, there have been some bad accidents as a result.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

I see what you are saying, that in between speed before it gets balanced could be quite scary.

ely

a guy here used a transmission off a tiller to build a winch loader for a pulp wood truck. he had two forward speeds and one reverse speed. people have also used the limited slip rear ends for loaders on the same trucks.
the tiller loader would pick up the world if you could hook it up. he pulled the truck out of the mud before with it.

Peter Drouin

Why would you want a chunkier? And have to fool with all the little pieces.
Do you shovel the stuff in the wood stove?
Anything smaller than 4" OD I leave in the woods. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 28, 2014, 12:32:33 PM
Why would you want a chunkier? And have to fool with all the little pieces.
Do you shovel the stuff in the wood stove?

My question too. Obviously I must be missing something....?

WmFritz

Quote from: shinnlinger on May 26, 2014, 12:55:38 PM
Unless I get into the smoker/charcoal/gasifier biz, I don't want to chunk

I'm guessing the chunks are mostly getting used for gasifier boilers. Those stoves like low moisture content and the chunking would get em drier.

Storing them seems like a pain though.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: shinnlinger on May 22, 2014, 05:44:00 PM
This guy uses an axle setup with supersplit parts and the other side is a chunker shear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RhucNDc3aM

I really like the spiltter portion of this guy's set-up; very fast! I wonder what it would do in stringy white oak though?

pineywoods

Man, If I ran that thing, within a week, I would be shy at least 2 fingers.  ;D
Some thought went into the design tho..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

shinnlinger

I believe he bought the essential parts for his splitter from supersplit.   Evidently they will sell the rack and pinion separately but a student of mine is scrapping a 3/4 ton Chevy and I'm getting the rear axle so my original idea might just get a try yet. 
Shinnlinger

r.man

To me there are two uses for the chunker style cutter, the first is to make true chunks of wood for a gasifier but the second is to use a larger drum that would allow you to cut usable pieces quickly out of small trunks or branch wood. The European branch wood or pole wood style processes small diameter wood fast and semi-automatically. The first is the best video I have seen that shows the inner cutting head. The second video shows the more compact style that uses toothed rollers to feed in the workpiece. Unfortunately you have to watch for over three minutes to see the infeed set up in the second video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMn6C007VnI#t=61
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbcUu0TW11s

starmac

Just some food for thought for building things from old rearends. I doubt it would be heavy enough for this application, but the rears out of 280Z datsuns have flanges where the axleshafts bolt on just an inch or so from the pumkin. The 3rd member flanges and all in only about 16 inches wide. I saved a couple of them for several years, thinking they would be handy to build something out of.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!