iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first sawmill

Started by oros35, May 12, 2014, 02:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oros35

Guess this is my introduction thread too! 
Just bought my first sawmill, it's a Frick (trying to find out what model) with a Minneapolis Moline 403-4A power plant. 
Needs some new wood and a good bit of TLC but the important stuff looks pretty good. 

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions, so thanks for the help in advance!  Brad

First one:
How do I tell which model Frick saw this is?   

Magicman

I know nothing about circles, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Brad.  (I do find them interesting though)

Congrats on the pictures.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. Those ole mills are very interesting. Please fill out the rest of your profile so people can better answer your questions according to your location and tell us more about your intent of the mill. Good photos also. bg

oros35

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on May 12, 2014, 02:18:09 PM
Welcome aboard. Those ole mills are very interesting. Please fill out the rest of your profile so people can better answer your questions according to your location and tell us more about your intent of the mill. Good photos also. bg
Thanks!

My intent....  well I always thought they were really cool pieces of equipment, and I like Minneapolis Moline tractors (have a couple), and the price was right, so I bought it..  Now I have to figure out what I want to do with it! 
So mostly restoration, preservation, and to cut some wood for fun and myself and the neighbors. 

Shotgun

Welcome to the Forestry Forum 'oros'.  You'll get lots of attention here, and help along with the attention, but not from me.   :D  Congratulations on posting pictures right off the bat.  For some it really seems to be a problem.  I always say here, if you can read, you can post pictures on the FF.  Never sure what the problems are all about, but way to go on your first post.  And good luck on your sawmill restoration and sawing mission.

Norm in Michigan
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

beenthere

Another welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Some closeup pics of the knees, dogs, cable drive mechanics, set works, saw guide, etc. will help to identify your mill.

Also, in case you don't have it, here is a link to a good circular saw booklet (in .pdf format) that may help with setup and questions.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DMcCoy

Welcome!
Nice big old mill!  Double belt carriage drive- that is good, probably standard on a mill that large.  I didn't see a half moon, so if you didn't get one with it you will want to pick one of those up.  They are pretty indispensable for flipping logs.  Looks very complete otherwise

hardtailjohn

Welcome to the forum, Brad!  Very nice looking mill!!!!  There's lots of great advice and experience here with circle mills, so  somebody will be able to help you!  Can't wait to see it all up and running!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

dutchman

Welcome, nice to have another sawyer in Pgh.
I started at a circle mill just outside of Greensburg.
I run a bandmill now. I'm setup in Boston, (15135) SE of Pgh.
Good luck with your mill.

oros35

Good to hear from everyone!  I'm out near the PGH airport, Beaver County.

So here are some more details:
Blade is 52" Came with a box of Simonds blue tip saw bits
There are 3- 15' sections of track
The husk measures 50" wide
Carriage is 15' 4" long
The pulleys are appx 4" wide
Main shaft is about 2 1/2" diameter
Motor is a 1947 the best I can tell.  SN 670441

More pictures to follow tomorrow!

iwiegian

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have another circle mill around.

Brian_Rhoad

Here's a link to some YouTube videos to help identify the size of Frick mills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmttxfiUNfk

oros35

dblair

Welcome aboard , I have a 403 on my circle mill , they're about 75 hp and are just enough (for me ) to cut what I need without slowing down too much .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

dboyt

Looks like a great project.  Looks like you've got just the truck for moving logs around, too.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Dave_

thecfarm

oros35,welcome to the forum. Good luck with your first mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

Welcome to Forum like that duce and half
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

oros35

Thanks! 

So Looks to be a Model 0 based on the great info yins gave me. 

The Deuce has an interesting story.  Bid on it at the government auction, never thought I would win it.  Sure enough, I did and had to tell the wife I "accidentally bought something"...  She didn't take it as bad as I thought.  Luckily the truck was in good condition, All I knew was 5 pictures and a description that said 'starts with jump'.  All it needed was a coat of paint and some new batteries. 

Dave_

Quote from: oros35 on May 14, 2014, 08:36:59 AM
had to tell the wife I "accidentally bought something"... 

I had a snicker at that line.  I resemble that statement :D

Buddyw

Your mill looks like a Frick 00 .
Glad to see another circle mill saved..

Thank You Sponsors!