iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How would you do it?

Started by MASSDRIVER, May 11, 2014, 01:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASSDRIVER

Hello board.
Love the forum, and it has been helpful in a few ways already.
Here is a huge tree that was downed last year by natural causes. The break is right around 18 ft.
This is on my friends property near Red Bluff in CA. We have been spending free weekends for the past few months just clearing off what was on the ground and producing firewood from it, in huge amounts. There is a picture of my buddy running my m660. There are a couple of 029's involved, as well as my echo 310 and Echo top handle.
Anyway, once it's cleared it will be time for professionals to move in and get this sucker on the ground. My question is, how would you do it? It's jammed in and there is a lot of tension on those limbs. Some that were intact 2 months ago are cracked now.
Insurance is paying out for the tree, and us three guys are by no means capable of dropping this part of it, but we all kind of want to know how it's accomplished.
Thanks, hope you find it interesting.
Brent
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=157738#top_display_media

Ernie

Put the photos in the gallery and someone might be able to come up with some suggestions.  Try "About this forum, Behind the forum, picture posting on forum help", Jeff's first post  He has laid it out extremely well.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

danabg

Myself I would start taking firewood out of the limbs and work back to the trunk.Then I would get a machine of some sort to hook on to the remainder and pull it down and break off that widowmaker,then fall the remaining piece on its own.That's a dangerous tree to take down.

timberlinetree

I love cutting trees like that and would tackle it similar to what danabg suggested and work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

thecfarm

MASSDRIVER,weclome to the forum.
This will help out on the pictures.

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pwheel

As others have said, remove as many of the limbs as possible as safety dictates. Then, bring in the pro's to make a falling cut at the stump and use an excavator or cable skidder to get the tree to ground.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

thenorthman

Limb it up as best you can while being safe,

Toss a heavy rope over the broken bit of top, as close to the stump as you can and still have mostly solid wood, hook rope to big ugly 4x4 truck (preferably with 1/2 a load of wood in it for weight).  Then give her a good tug and see if that top breaks out.  If it don't then face up the stump real steep and deep towards the truck if there is room (make sure you have more then enough rope) then back cut it, stuffing a wedge in as soon as possible, once you get down to 1-2" of holding wood drag the whole mess over with the truck.

If you can get the top out, then you can just straight fall the stump, just don't leave nearly as much hold wood as normal, and get lots of wedges in there...  Seems like the branches and tops do a lot of the work of falling trees, a big stob like that will just sit there and laugh at you while you get blisters whacking wedges into it.

Also if you have a good winch use that instead of the rope, cable is superior to rope, but if you have to use rope get 5/8-3/4 braided nylon, 100' should do ya.  and learn a few good knots.

well that didn't work

Ianab

Hire large excavator for 1/2 a day and push the thing to the ground ???

If the break wasn't 18ft in the air, then I'd be OK with carefully dismantling the tree from the top down. Obviously you need to give a bit of thought to where the weight and tension are, and be careful. But doing that  in this case, at some point the log is going to fall off the remains for the tree, and you don't want to be under it when that happens.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

coxy

there should be a cord or two of wood in that  :laugh: like ianab said get some thing to push or pull it down to be safe  good luck and happy wood cutting 8)

luvmexfood

One thought and it may be wrong would be to rent one of the small pull behind boom buckets and cut the limbs off from above. Whittle them down and maybe the trunk would fall then.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

underdog

I would hire a track hoe to dig it out.
They could bury the stump for you also.

Thank You Sponsors!