iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple tree beetle?

Started by reswire, May 10, 2014, 10:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reswire

I have a large 90 year old maple tree in my front yard, that is showing the signs of some sort of beetle infestation.  The leaves are in some cases totally chewed up, and some are partially eaten in almost the entire tree.  I've heard there is a beetle that has eaten a large amount of white oaks in Maryland, "Epps Beetle" I believe, but I'm not sure what sort of a beetle is eating my maple. This morning I noticed my truck was covered with small black "droppings" after being parked under the tree.  I would really hate to loose that maple!  I'll post a pic of the damage tomorrow, would love some advice on how to combat this pest!
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

beenthere

Sounds more like worms or caterpillars munching away.  We get tent caterpillars and other such creatures hatching out and crawling all over looking for something to eat.

Check out
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/caterpillars-eat-maple-leaves-47630.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

reswire

Thanks Beenthere,
It is exactly what you said.  Little buggers are hanging all over the place now.  They really worked the poor old tree over, I hope it isn't permanent damage.  Seems all the lower leaves are chewed to pieces, although the upper leaves seem to be full.
Thanks, again.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Thank You Sponsors!