iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bell Housing Weephole

Started by Corley5, May 10, 2014, 07:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I've got oil in the bellhousing on my C4 forwarder causing the clutch to slip.  It's Deutz powered with an NP tranny.  The tranny has seeped gear lube as long as I've had it and it hasn't been an issue other than filling it now and again.  But apparently the weep hole is plugged now and it's filled the bell housing causing the clutch to slip.  I assume the weep hole is in the bottom someplace.  Anybody now exactly where it is  ???  I'd like to get this job done before we wrench on it.  There's about 70 cords left to get to the landing.  I'm hoping that it can be drained and limped along for a few days.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Autocar

Not sure about the weep hole your talking about but it sounds like the main seal on the engine crank is leaking oil. More then likely with the oil already socked into the clutch plates your be up a creek without a paddle because once oil gets in them there pretty well will give you problems
Bill

chester_tree _farmah

Agree. Sounds like the rear main seal if it is making the clutch slip. Bummer.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Corley5

If I can get the oil out of it for now I hope I can get this job done.  As it is there's oil bubbling out around the starter where it bolts up  :(  The engine hasn't gone down a drop on oil although the oil in question doesn't smell like gear lube.  I'm resigned to the fact that it needs to be fixed  ;D  I'd just like to get this job done.  At least I'm only 3 miles from the home shop  8)

BargeMonkey

Drill a 1/4 drain hole if you cant find the drain ? Gotta get done, I know the feeling.

chester_tree _farmah

It's probably bubbling out on the sides because the clutch and fly wheel spin are spraying it. It is possible it could be the front seal on the tranny. Not sure if it would help but is there a bolt on sheet  metal shield covering the bottom of the flywheel and clutch assembly.  You could take that off for now if you can get to it. Or drill a whole in it than fix the whole when you make the fix.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Corley5

No sheet metal cover like a splash pan on a car or pickup  :)  Farm tractors and such have a weep hole to let seepage drain out.  It seems that these should have one too  :-\  After Mother's Day festivities tomorrow we're going to take a closer look.  I'll drill a hole if I have to  :)

coxy

spray the living day lights out of it with brake clean for a few days to get the job done best to do while motor is running and some one is pushing in and out on the clutch to rid some of the oil  did this 3 times a week for a month to get job done and a gal of oil every other day

treeslayer2003

take out a bottom bell housing bolt

Corley5

We found a hole in the bottom of the bell housing and one on each side just below the starter.  They were all clear.  I bought a case of brake cleaner at Car Quest this AM and tomorrow we'll see if we can get it dried up enough to finish this job.

Thank You Sponsors!