iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Howdy y'all.

Started by Ramhatch, May 10, 2014, 01:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramhatch

I am new to the milling world and am looking to buy a mill and some other stuff.  My plans are to build a log home.  So I'm looking for opinions on mills.  And I would like to do tounge and groove for my interior walls and floors. I will be using mostly cedar and pine.  I'm located in northeast arkansas. 

Texas Ranger

Welcome to the forum, tell us a little more about your self and fill in the stuff you see in the upper left hand corner of our posts.  You have come to the right place for the information you are looking for, it is here, some times it will find you, and some times you have to find it.

Pull up a stump and stay a while.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

drobertson

Howdy back at you, budget is a factor on mills, a good planer molder a must.  I have to go with WMZ, but there are others that get it done too,  It boils down to what fits the bill, and plan.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ramhatch.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

loggah

Welcome, whatever mill you get you will probably have to use a big planer to size the log after sawing. I have an old Lane lag bed planer and it works great sizing green wood.If you saw 3 sides on the cabin logs you can use a router in the grooves for tenons. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Bill Gaiche

thecfarm

Ramhatch,welcome to the forum.I kinda hope you're not in a big hurry,like this year?  It takes time to look to see what is out there,both for making logs into lumber and than building a log home too. I suppose you have land to cut logs? That will put a need in a way to get the logs out of the woods to the sawmill. Than drying the lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ramhatch

I have plenty of cedar to cut, and I am in no hurry.  If it takes me several years then that's fine.  I just wanna get the right equipment.

Ernie

Welcome Ramhatch, it's good to see you youngsters getting into sawdust. Kinda brings our average age down a tad too.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

GAB

Ramhatch:
I do not know what shows are held in your area.  However I would recommend that you consider going to the Paul Bunyon days in Ohio in early October.  There you can see numerous mills side by side and ask a lot of questions of the show participants.
Also keep your eyes out for used mills for sale you might get lucky.
There are a lot of mills out there that I have no experience with so I will not try and steer your decision one way or another.
Wish you the best.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

justallan1

Welcome to the forum, Ramhatch.

Allan

OH Boy

you came to the right place to get your questions answered. welcome

never finished

Welcome, Ramhatch, I've heard of Floral but I'm not sure where it is. What are you close to?

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ramhatch!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ramhatch

Batesville, greersferry lake.  I'm actually in Ohio working right now.  Should be here till fall.

Red Clay Hound

Welcome to the Forum Ramhatch!  Lots of very knowledgeable folks here.  Good luck with your new adventure!  I've had two Wood-Mizer mills (LT15 and LT40) and I highly recommend them.  Just my 2 cents worth.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

dboyt

Welcome to the forum.  The #1 piece of advice is to visit the folks running the mills and see what suits you best.  There are links to sponsors on the left side of the screen.  It says a lot that these guys support the forum.  If you want to come to southwest Missouri and check out my Norwood, I'm always looking for some free help around the mill.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

MAI

Welcome to the FF Ramhatch

Thank You Sponsors!