iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

legal descriptions

Started by Silvanus, May 09, 2014, 11:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanus

Legal descriptions are pretty simple to interpret once you get the hang of it but this one threw me a little.  It looks simple enough but I cant grasp what its trying to say:

NWN of Sec. 19 and so on.

If I were to read that, I would say Northwest 1/4 of the North 1/2?  That cant be right.

Thanks for the help.
"There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot."  -AL

mesquite buckeye

I think something is just wrong here. You shouldn't have to guess.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Silvanus

It was posted on the States website (I dont know if that gives you more or less confidence that its legit) in more than one description.  I guess I'll just interpret it as "N1/2 NW1/4 SecXX"

beenthere

QuoteNWN of Sec. 19 and so on.

That is the extent of the description?   The "and so on" is a bit ambiguous, to say the least.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

I'd say that you read it right as written. Maybe check a Plat Book to see if there is a lot of State land around the description area.
~Ron

LeeB

I read it to say north west north. Don't rightly know why it would say so. Perhaps more clues can be had in the 'and so on' portion of the description. North west north describes a direction of 337.5 degrees or 22.5 degrees west of north. I'm no surveyor, but it is/was used in nautical terms. Are there any numbers behind this, such as 12.22 as an example? That would be how many degrees off of north the direction is. My property line description in Texas was like this.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

BradMarks

Silvanus:  That is definitely confusing since there is no NW1/4 of the N1/2. Something is missing. Is the parcel a 40ac or 80ac tract?  Just guessing: Is it possible it is a starting point with the rest of the legal to follow?

beenthere

Quote from: Silvanus on May 09, 2014, 11:26:45 AM
It was posted on the States website (I dont know if that gives you more or less confidence that its legit) in more than one description.  I guess I'll just interpret it as "N1/2 NW1/4 SecXX"

What is the risk if you interpret it wrong? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SLawyer Dave

Quote from: Silvanus on May 09, 2014, 11:17:12 AM

NWN of Sec. 19 and so on.

It looks incomplete to me, as it does not have the full notation.  However, it could also be shorthand for a description that is placed on a filed/recorded map.  IE, not the original Plat Map, but a subsequent one, for only a portion of the section.  Typically, such maps are referred to in the description, however, so you know what map to look up.  Perhaps that is the "and so on". 

My best guess would be that it refers to the Northwest (lot), of the North parcel within the map of Section 19.  In California, we have lots of Subdivision Maps, that identify parcels in similar fashions.  However, without a specific reference to the "map" in question, it becomes almost impossible to decipher.  So look closely at the "and so on", as that is likely where it is referencing the specific map that this notation is referencing.   

pappy19

It is not a standard legal description. The best it could be is NW1/4 of the N1/2, which would just be the NW 1/4. ???
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

beenthere

Hoping Sylvanus comes back on and helps with some more info.
south central Wisconsin

pappy19

In further thought, it could also mean the N1/2 W1/2 N1/2, a completely different location.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Silvanus

The description did not give acreage, making it even more difficult to determine the orientation of the parcel.

The full description " NWN of Section 19 , T 26N -R 09W", but I was only confused by the "NWN" portion.

The description was describing the location of a past fire.  This may have had to do with hunting morels.  At any rate, I visited the section and found the recent fire somewhere in the vacinity of the SE1/4 NE1/4.  My determination is that there was a mistake/confusion on the individual reporting the location.

I appreciate all the input, none-the-less.

Thank You Sponsors!