iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How should I price cants????

Started by JB Griffin, May 08, 2014, 08:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Griffin

I had a guy call me wantin 4x12x8 cedar cants and then he backed down to 4x8x8 when I told him shot him a rough price of $50 for the 12s. I then quoted him $28 for the 8s he still thinks I'm too high but is supposed to call me back, I'm thinkin I should just tell him it's $28 or nuthin and let it go at that.

What do ya'll charge for large cants like this??? ???
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Your prices are more than fare IMO. NICELY....hold to your price.

I get $200.00 for a Cedar Mantle 4 x 10 x 6.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

the market varies for sure, your price is more than fair.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

Thanks David I kindly figgered that I was cheap enuff on them but i guess he thinks going to a sawmill and cuttin out the middle man he can get um for a song.

P.S.
How many of those 4x10x6 mantles do you want, I'll cut em you sell and we'll split the profits :D I'd be thrilled to get $50 for one of those.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

JB Griffin

Quote from: drobertson on May 08, 2014, 08:46:11 PM
the market varies for sure, your price is more than fair.

What would you charge David ???
I've been trying to sell 750bdft of 1x cedar 4-10" wide for $1 bdft and haven't sold one board. :(

thecfarm

Tell him to go to a lumber yard and buy them.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

My guess, if they are his logs, he is figuring around 20 bucks, lil more maybe,  Lots of cedar and mills in our area, some folks are fortunate enough to have a niche, around these parts, not so easy,  economy is still pretty slow,  and the ones that can stimulate it, don't.  I reckon this is how they have the bucks,  Sad part is, they will most likely end up paying more from good sales pitch.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Tell him to go take a hike.  I assumed that the logs were yours. 

Your price for 1 x cedar is much lower than what I charge.  I don't think your problem is price.  I think your problem is customers. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JB Griffin

drobertson

then this settles one matter for sure,  and it boils down to whether he wants yours or not,  no harm, no foul.
You set the price, he can take it or leave it,  I really hate dropping the price once it's mentioned, kinda sets a precedence.   your call from here,  as you know, folks like to haggle a bit,  might find a way to make it work, and still come out.

Larry

Craigslist is filled with adds for cedar less than a $1/bf in north Arkansas.  I've seen some out of one of the bigger mills and it was pretty good quality.

I've sold some for $1/bf but it took a while. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

JB Griffin

THanks David I guess I'll just see were this goes from here.

Larry one of those ads was mine with no real bites at all ::)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: JB Griffin on May 08, 2014, 08:49:51 PM

What would you charge David ???
I've been trying to sell 750bdft of 1x cedar 4-10" wide for $1 bdft and haven't sold one board. :(

A 10 inch wide Cedar board here is worth more than gold....especially if you have a lot of them. If they'er all Red...$2.00 BF in my area.

I just sold 9 slabs of Walnut 17-20 inches wide x 7 foot long and 2 inches thick for $700.00 to a guy in Atlanta. I got this log out of the burn pile the tree service brought in. He had a truck pick up the slabs for him today. I ran the ad on Craig's List.....nobody in my area even called. I had 1 call from Charleston, S.C......1 call from Asheville, N.C......and the buyers call from Atlanta.
In my mind.....this Walnut was CHEAP.....but the log was free and it took me 2 hours to saw it with care. When you have lumber.....let the world know about. Sooner or later people will come if you have a fare price.

My point is.....set a fare price....stick to......and be nice to the people who complain you're too high.....they'll be back.

****NOTE TO SELF: Don't take all the $700.00 to WDH's......I won't have any left.*******

WDH

The guy in Atlanta got a good deal.  That is a little less than $4.00/BF. 

I have a nice maple slab that I will let go for $700  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JB Griffin

You guy kill me with your $4bdft lumber, the best money around here is what flooring is bringing with fas red oak bringin $1.30. :'(

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 08, 2014, 09:33:51 PM
The guy in Atlanta got a good deal.  That is a little less than $4.00/BF. 

I have a nice maple slab that I will let go for $700  :D.

Do I need a truck or will it go in the glove compartment?  :D

Banjo picker

Cedar is a plague in some places and sought after in others.  Depends on where you are.  Decent cedar is hard to come by here unless some one is cleaning up an ole grave yard, then no telling what you are going to hit in the logs.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

hackberry jake

Quote from: JB Griffin on May 08, 2014, 09:23:06 PM
THanks David I guess I'll just see were this goes from here.

Larry one of those ads was mine with no real bites at all ::)

One of them was mine and I moved about 800 board feet for $1 a board foot. I think the trick is having it on craigslist around planting time. All of the cedar I sold the customers told me they were going to build planters out of them.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Cedarman

If just a few 12" cants, then 3 bucks a foot is reasonable. 
8"  for a buck and a half is good.  Ask him what you are supposed to do with the rest of the log.  We have places to go with most of our wood, but most small mills have to wait for more customers.
He is thinking apples and wanting to buy oranges.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Brucer

I sell FOHC Douglas-Fir timbers for ...
4x12 = $7.60 per linear foot.
4x8 = $4.50 per linear foot.
These are with no wane, shake, or pitch pockets, and they meet the standards for #1 structural.

The notion that there is some kind of universal "fair" prices is a fallacy. A fair price is one that is negotiated between 2 parties before the order is finalized.

I charge enough to pay for the delivered log, plus enough to cover a portion of my overheads and to pay me what I consider to be a reasonable price for my time. Any less and I am paying my customer instead of the other way around.

I work from a price list and I DO NOT lower my prices in order to make a sale.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

mesquite buckeye

I was talking to the local wood store guy out here and he said he is happy to pay $3/bd ft for cedar lumber. He is selling it for $4.50. Of course this is Tucson, AZ and far from the redcedar stands. Transport costs eat up a lot of it. I just did a rough calc, seems like about 90 cents is what you are asking. Pretty decent deal if you ask me. Also, even though you have less cutting costs for cants and less sawdust loss, you have to have a better log than you would need to make just 1X stuff. You should get a premium for the cants, not a discount. I would tell the guy to go fly (nicely, of course).

The downside is you are in the heart of redcedar central, so you will always be getting the bottom dollar locally. You would do a lot better if you could locate a market where there is little redcedar available.

Best of luck. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

Well said, mesquite! it is a killer here, outside markets are the only answer.  folks need to consider the real value of a product for what it's worth, not the availability, seems contradictory, in a sense.

Cedarman

If you want to sell outside your area, then a good website is a must.  You must also get set up to palletize , strap and get good shipping rates.
I have sold cedar into all 50 states except Wyoming.  I just don't think anyone lives there.  Some packages are just 30 to 40#.  Some 2 to 4000 feet and some truckloads.  Never know what people want.
Also check out people that sell a finished product and send them a note as to what you can supply.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

red oaks lumber

if you want a certain price for your lumber then you must be willing to hold firm on the price, knowing some will walk and the rest will see the value in what you sell.
the true salesman will not just give the price but, sell the customer on why its' worth the price, and then follow through with above expectation quaility lumber and service
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Larry

Quote from: Cedarman on May 11, 2014, 07:22:02 AM
If you want to sell outside your area, then a good website is a must.  You must also get set up to palletize , strap and get good shipping rates.

Cedarman proved it too me when he sold a large order to a customer within a few miles of me.  That customer paid a fair price plus shipping.

I was visiting a neighbor mill last week.  They were sawing a large cedar order destined to go out of state.

Finding a good customer is often much harder than making a good board.  They are out there, just maybe not on our local craigslist.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!