iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hearing Aid

Started by Magicman, May 08, 2014, 01:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Oh my, I am wearing practice (demonstrator) hearing aids today.  :o  I am sure that my hearing loss began on the firing range at Ft. Jackson, SC, because there was no ear plugs or hearing protection then.  Later years found me in the telephone industry wearing headphones and listening to test tones, etc. for hours at the time.  Of course I believe that my hearing loss is from being an obedient husband and paying so much attention to Pat.

Anyway a hearing test proved exactly what I already knew.  Hearing and understanding are two completely different things, and my hearing loss falls low in the understanding portion of the chart.

I am giving them a test drive. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

When I first got mine I dident know paper made so much noise when you crumbled in a ball
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

LeeB

I've been wearing them for 7 years. Still have to take them out at times because of too much sound. The first day I had them, I was a basket case after 2 hours. The dad gum things sure are expensive.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

BradMarks

Way expensive and then some. "Good ones" over 5 grand. How can an industry make 'earbuds' for cheap, virtually every kid has one, and charge so much for a hearing aid. Those little batteries - made of gold?.

beenthere

My take on hearing loss is it is primarily connected to our aging process. Same as the eyes change, the muscles change, etc. etc.

I know people who are quite young yet (in comparison) who just have grown up not being around any loud noise, even music. They have hearing loss.

Others, who have been around a lot of noise and do not have hearing loss.

But not saying that some noise maybe speeds up the process..  I just don't believe it to be an avoidable issue even if one would grow up in a sound booth with no noise whatsoever. ;)  I'm a skeptic.

But it is good that hearing aids are available that will help whatever loss one has. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ernie

I put my hearing deficit to good use sometimes with the kids although I do get a lot of strife about the volume that I turn the TV up to, I still deny that I have any sort of problem.  I get accused of being "in denial"  whatever that is.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

Beenthere, you could say that about smoking to and cancer. Don't fall for it. ;)

My dad had hearing aids the first ones he bought himself, but about 1 -2 years back he was able to get new one through Worker's Comp. The price went from $3500 out of pocket to $5500 once the government was paying for them. Same device. I mean, these things have been invented 40 years ago. Call them a fancy earphone and the price would drop to $300. ;D

Ernie, Denial is a river in Africa. I thought everyone knew that. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Onthesauk

The worst is eating potato chips!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Magicman

I test drove them today and quite frankly, I was favorably impressed.  I knew that there was stuff that I wasn't hearing but I didn't know how much.  I can hear "loudness" but tuning them to the frequencies that makes speech better understood was impressive.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Quoteyou could say that about smoking to and cancer.

Hmmm?  meaning connected with aging ?? 
One often begins smoking at a young age (a decision by the smoker), and a family in our Church has a 6 yr old girl with brain cancer (no decision by the child).  So I don't get the connection that smoking and/or cancer are related to aging.
I just think hearing loss, and aches and pains, and muscle loss is, however.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

I put mine on the other night and sat out on the back porch and just listened to the whipperwills hollering.  What I don't like is hearing gravel crunch under foot when walking....so I just turn them off.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I was surprised to find that this unit has a bluetooth remote that allows you to instantly adjust the volume and also the ability to answer your cellphone through the hearing aid.   ;D

SwampDonkey

My meaning is the affliction has a connection to the environment and it can be ageless. Many times I think not all the dots get connected. Some folks are more tolerant and less prone than others. Not everyone is the same. Someone can work with no hearing protection and not experience as much hearing loss as someone else. Highly unlikely there is no hearing loss, even a little.   ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I now wear hearing protection when sawing, shooting, chainsawing, etc, but I can remember when I did not. 

I guess that my age just allowed me to remain young and foolish longer.   :D

LeeB

MM, what brand did you get that has that ability? Which provider did you use? I used Beltone before ubt think I will shop around some for my next set. Beltone is really good with service and I have always been pleased with them, but they are soooooooo expensive. The set I have now is a little over 7 years old and now obsolete. They've been repaired a few times and although it's not terribly expensive to get them overhauled, they are just worn out. New innards are only $275 a piece. Makes you wonder what's so special about the shell.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

It's just a money game to take advantage of the afflicted. If aspirin were sold by prescription it would be $200 a bottle. ;)

LeeB

Check a hospital bill sometime. Try $700 per dose.

SwampDonkey

My uncle one time thought he would check out how much blood pressure medication was in Maine. It cost 3 times more over there then here, he skiddadled back to NB. :D

That is insane Lee, I would say illegal. But what do I know.  :-\

LeeB

It is insane. This was many years ago. Maybe it has gotten better since then. As far as it being illegal, I consider it a form of rape.

thecfarm

Some hearing aids don't like rain. My FIL would wear a hat crooked to cover the ear when it was raining to walk the dog.

When I lost my job I was on heartburn medicine. I needed to keep it going and asked the pharmacist how much,over $200. She told me,follow me,we went into the aisle and the exact same thing,mg and all was about $28 for about 40 tablets,on sale it would be even less. The insurance was paying $200 for just about the same amount.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: LeeB on May 09, 2014, 06:05:15 AMMM, what brand did you get that has that ability? 
ReSound Alera 761.  This is the mid unit in the lower series.  The Versa is the higher series with more "features".  They are manufactured in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

ReSound does or did, at one time, own Beltone.

Yes, they are very expensive, but also very tiny.  The battery is the largest item in the entire unit.  I see them on Ebay for 1/3 the cost, but I have no idea who or how you would get them programmed??

21incher

I have been wearing them since 1994. My first pair lasted 6 years and the pair I have now is 14 years old ( analog made by Starkey and only cost $1500.00 total ) and starting to act up. The biggest problem I have had over the years with them is moisture can shut them down, but I solved that by placing them in a sealed container full of rice at night which keeps the electronics dry. I am getting ready to buy a new pair and it seems like lately the prices have skyrocketed due to all the added features. I read you got the Bluetooth option. Have you tried it with your cell phone yet? Most cell phones are not hearing aide compatible and I am wondering how it functions?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

luvmexfood

My dad wore one for years. He worked 43 years for the railroad and it is thought listening to all the old teletype machines got him. Anyway he was in the hospital his last month and then got released and had to go to a nursing home for therapy, back to hospital and then to a hospice house to die. While in the hospital they lost his hearing aid and could not hear a thing without one. Had to take him to strange nursing home and leave him. Anyway, the hospital payed for him a new Beltone hearing aid. Had to get an ambulance to take him and get fit but he was not able to respond. Based on his previous test they got him the strongest Beltone made. He passed away the morning it came in. Still have it and yes they are expensive. I think I paid around $1400 for it and he never got to use it.

The nursing home I had to leave him at was not a good one. Hardest thing I ever had to do. Talk about a 50 year old driving home crying.

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Magicman

I wore a "loaner" pair yesterday and he activated my Samsung Rugby II flip phone, so it works.  My units will not get here until the 21st.  I plan to give them the ultimate "Sycamore project #3" test.

LeeB

Quote from: Magicman on May 09, 2014, 07:01:50 PM
I wore a "loaner" pair yesterday and he activated my Samsung Rugby II flip phone, so it works.  My units will not get here until the 21st.  I plan to give them the ultimate "Sycamore project #3" test.

They work well as earplugs when turned off should the B.S. level get too high.  :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!