iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

auto clutch broken gear box

Started by Tom L, May 08, 2014, 12:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

first problem for me with my lt40 super hd. quarter sawing some oak the other night and when i engaged the auto clutch the yanmar went up and down a few times and then the blade would not shut off.
shut the machine down and noticed the main drive belt off the drive wheel a little bit.

after some disassembly and looking I find that one of the two sensors that start and stop the auto clutch is malfunctioning, and then notice that there is a spot in the gearbox that is missing, the motor just spins the shaft and nothing moves when the gears hit one position

call up Indy , talk with a tech guy, at the end of the conversation he says it should ship out today.but I didn't order anything yet, tech guy say's you still have two weeks left on the warranty, he is sending a new gearbox and sensor to me free of charge.

all in all seems like an easy fix, will have to retention the drive belt and adjust the linkage, when I replace the gearbox.
nice to deal with an honest company. I never thought about warranty covering the breakage, didn't expect the machine to still be under warranty, but the tech guy took notice and didn't charge for the parts to fix the problem.  8) 8) 8)

Peter Drouin

When you that, Make sure you chain the head up good.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

what peter said, easy enough, relatively speaking, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

Pay close attention where that sensor is mounted, they can be tricky getting mounted right.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Tom L

Quote from: customsawyer on May 09, 2014, 05:02:41 AM
Pay close attention where that sensor is mounted, they can be tricky getting mounted right.

I think I am going to set up the gearbox and plate assembly first, then when I can rotate the gearbox by hand use a volt meter
on the sensor wires and make sure that they are working before I hook up the linkage to the drive pulley. and electric motor

if that made sense to anybody :D :D

drobertson

Yea, and custom made a good point on the sensor, did mine in 08', I forgot about the sensor,  seems like a somewhat of a tight fit there,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Tom L

do you know if the sensors actually have to hit the metal plate that swings the linkage or is very close and not touching enough to make the sensor work.

MartyParsons

Hello the sensor is normal closed, when they get close to metal they open the connection. You dont want the cam to hit the sensor. The sensors are the same just different locations. The bolts that hold them on are stainless and should not be lost and replaced with metal bolts ( non stainless)
Early mills with auto clutch I have drilled different holes to make the sensors react at different times. The new mills are set right on at the factory.
A cause of the gear failure is having the auto clutch belt over tightened. So make it loose more than you would think would be normal. It will work fine with the belt on the loose side. Belt should be 3L150 not a 3L140
3L140 is to short and will cause gear failure.  Tom I would think you have the 3L150 but check to make sure. There were some that came from the factory with the 140 belt.
This is for revision A8.0 +
Revision A.0 to A7.9 would use the 3L140 belt. This would be the cast gear box not the aluminum gear box.
LT70 is different.
Make sure you grease the clutch pivot behind the up down gear box. I had one this week that I had to heat to get it to move.  :o

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Brucer

The "sensors" are magnetic switches and open when anything made of steel gets close to them (such as the cam on the gearbox shaft). The stainless bolts are not magnetic, as Marty points out. I've heard of problems when metal filings got attracted to the magnet in one of the switches, causing it to stay open.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!