iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Local Milk

Started by Dodgy Loner, May 08, 2014, 12:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

My wife and I got up early this morning to go to the local Farmer's Market. It is a pleasant, 1-mile walk from our house, but we had never been. There wasn't a whole lot of produce yet, but there was a local dairyman selling milk, cheese, and other dairy products. We picked up a half gallon of pastuerized, non-homogenized whole milk for $3. Hardly more than we pay in the grocery store. Took it home and did a side-by-side taste test with the store-bought milk. The difference was subtle, but the local milk was creamier in the mouth, and had a sweeter aftertaste. I was impressed. I think it is worth it to me to support a local farmer and get a better product. They even invited us out to their farm. I am pretty price-conscious about food, but I like knowing where my food comes from :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jason_AliceMae Farms

There is a dairy farm near my parents that has a little store that I like to go to when I am in town.  They have all of their milk in glass bottles and even make a chocolate and strawberry milk.  It is delicious, their 2% is like a milkshake it is so creamy.  I like supporting local when I can especially when it tastes so good  ;D
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

sandhills

I used to milk for a neighbor and still miss the whole milk, let the cream rise, skim it off for ice cream and butter then drink the milk, yummy!

beenthere

Right on. And pour that cream over strawberries, or any kind of berries, or with a shredded wheat biscuit right in the middle... and the great buttermilk left from churning the butter.  Mmmm good.

But wife has a fit if I even buy 2% milk, let alone when I buy whole milk. But it is so much better than skim.
I drink skim like I drink medicine...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Our milk is very local here. I walk across the street and get right out of the bulk tank. I personally don't drink milk. It has a higher purpose.  Cheese.  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

That's the BEST kind, Dave!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MrPete

I'm with you been there.  My wife will buy nothing but skim milk.  We had a go around about it for years. I won't even use it in my coffee.  It has got so bad I can honestly say I don't remember the last time I drank a glass of milk.  But I do remember haying as a kid and going to the bulk tank and get a nice cold glass of whole milk.  I miss those days!
:-\

red oaks lumber

right on! buy local and support the local farmers :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

sawguy21

I don't drink much milk anymore, mostly on cereal in the morning. My wife will only have 2%, because of her diabetes and weight problems she is very conscious of fat intake. If I had my way it would be whole milk straight from the cow in a cold glass but selling unpasteurized is illegal here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

36 coupe

Quote from: MrPete on May 09, 2014, 07:32:06 PM
I'm with you been there.  My wife will buy nothing but skim milk.  We had a go around about it for years. I won't even use it in my coffee.  It has got so bad I can honestly say I don't remember the last time I drank a glass of milk.  But I do remember haying as a kid and going to the bulk tank and get a nice cold glass of whole milk.  I miss those days!
Skim milk is good for pigs and calves.Not fit for human consumption...

red oaks lumber

dont make the pigs and calves suffer. :D whole milk is still 95 % fat free. unless you drink a gallon a day its not a problem.why drink colored water?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

goose63

My wife found out its whole milk or no milk when I dumped the skim milk down the drain
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sawguy21

Quote from: MrPete on May 09, 2014, 07:32:06 PM
Mom went on that kick, my sister and I tried every which way to make it taste better but no go.  :'( Before that she did buy whole milk from the farmer across the road in the square bottles with cream on top. Now that was GOOD
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

oros35

Quote from: Jason_AliceMae Farms on May 08, 2014, 01:44:28 PM
There is a dairy farm near my parents that has a little store that I like to go to when I am in town.  They have all of their milk in glass bottles and even make a chocolate and strawberry milk.  It is delicious, their 2% is like a milkshake it is so creamy.  I like supporting local when I can especially when it tastes so good  ;D
Doesn't happen to be in the Pittsburgh Pa area does it? 

By brother in law and his family run a dairy that sounds just like that.  They even still deliver to homes in glass bottles.
http://bruntonmilkman.com/

Their chocolate milk is the best ever, it's actually so good that they are no longer allowed to call it milk!  legally they have to call it chocolate crème cause it's so rich. 
They also make their own ice cream, and have other products in their farm store. 

Dave Shepard

A neighbor up the road once made chocolate milk with just chocolate and cream. You almost needed a spoon. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SPIKER

Growing up lots of farmers sold milk out of the bulk tanks, now it is illegal here like most anything else Gov. sticks it's face into.. :snowball:

Best stuff going loved the cream on top in coffee in AM, now we buy 2% & woman wont touch it wants that colored water stuff which I won;t even put on cereal ::)...

We try to buy local eggs too when we get a chance Bright Yellow and way tasty vs store bought ones.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Jason_AliceMae Farms

oros35 - Nope, the one I was referring to is located near Rochester, NY.  But now it looks like next time I am near Pittsburgh I know one side trip that I will be making!
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Den Socling

See my thread in the food board titled CGA regarding locally grown farm products.

Edit: oops! Didn't remember that I was in the food board.  :D

oros35

Quote from: Jason_AliceMae Farms on July 31, 2014, 02:09:54 PM
  But now it looks like next time I am near Pittsburgh I know one side trip that I will be making!
Here is the farm website.
http://bruntondairy.com/index.php

drobertson

Spoiled on it here!  with my father in law a previous dairy farmer, we got plenty, the cream is outstanding, two other locals within an ear shot, there is no better, the price is far better than the market around here,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!