iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Valentine’s Day Gift

Started by Bibbyman, February 17, 2002, 05:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Look guys what Mary got me for Valentine's Day!! :-*  This neat-o pair of BIG antique skiddin' tongs!!  (I collect old logging tools when I get the opportunity and display them in our sawshed.)  

Almost makes me feel bad that I only got her a Peppermint Patty at the restaurant this morning for her Valentine's Day gift.  ::)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Them are getting few and far between around here. I been looking for a pair. Great gift!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

You are a fortunate man also, Bibbyman, to have a wife that thinks of us in our sawmills all of the time.  That is a nice gift.  I have two just like it, hanging in my Mill Building along with a host of other once used logging tools.   ;)
Frank Pender

CHARLIE

That's a great gift from a thoughtful wife Bibbyman!  But, me not being a logger, I dang near had a heart attack when I first read that you had gotten a set of Skiddin' Thongs from your wife. OOooeeeeee! :o :o :o  But when I saw the picture, I went back and reread that it was a set of skiddin' tongs. Whew! :D :D :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Love those presents.  It's great when the wives know what makes you happy. ;D

Yep, I've got two of them too, hanging behind my tractor and backhoe.  What makes'em antique?  Maybe I need to go through my treasures out in the barn......might have a fortune laying out there. :D

Bibbyman

Here is a wider shot of that wall.  

The pair of tongs second from right was made by my Uncle Ed out of a drive shaft from an old Chevy and used by my dad for 40+ years.  They gave years of faithful service until a couple of years ago when I was pulling a log and turned to go up a bank.  I spun out and slid back.  The tongs were in a terrible bind and broke through the pivot.  I had them welded but then just retired them to the wall.  I've got two new pair and they don't work as well as this pair.  

The tongs just below the pair Mary give me today were also hand-made but not by someone I know.  They don't work very well.  The lighter two sets in the middle are not really log tongs.  I think one is a pair of railroad tie tongs with the handle loops cut off and replaced by chains.  The other is ice tongs – I think.  The tongs at the far left was my cousin's attempt to make a pair on the pattern of the ones Uncle Ed made but just a little bigger.  He missed by about 200%.

Between the tongs are three wagon wheel wrenches and tongue pins.  I found two of them on the farm.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bud Man

Bibbyman===I think she's telling you you better not ever stray or she'll hang you up by one of em !! :D :D :D
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Frank_Pender

The pair you call ice tolks looks like it might have two handles?  If it does you are correct, I have a pair designed to carry the 12 x 18 ice blocks.  That is a nice collection, Bibbyman. ;)
Frank Pender

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Corley5

I've got a set of hand-forged log tongs around here somewhere that I found while discing an elk viewing site in the Pigeon River Country.  I saw just the arc of one of the tongs sticking out of the ground.  Imagine my surprise when I pulled on it and a complete set of tongs come out the ground.  I found out later that the sight had once been a logging camp.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!