iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shop journals

Started by Dan_Shade, May 07, 2014, 09:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

do any of you guys keep shop journals?

I started one after the first of the year.  I try to capture the time when I am doing specific tasks and operations.  I also do little sketches and stuff.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Andy White

Dan-Shade,
Not so much as a journal, but the first of every year, I get a spiral notebook that I do my project sketches, material takeoffs, and notes . I will also list the type of wood used, and how long it has  been cut, dried and any other info. available. This helps me if I want to build another whatever, or ask the recipient of a project how it is holding up, etc. It's fun to go back a few years to see how far I've advanced in my skills.        Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

yukon cornelius

i keep one for sketches, ideas, parts list, and common dimensions / measurements.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

hardtailjohn

Same here...not so much a journal...but more of a notebook on some of the projects and the "difficulties" I encounter, or dimensions I change or something like that. 
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

rrrun

I keep a blog. I've been pretty good at putting photo stories up of how projects have come together ... check out the woodworking category on MowryJournal.com. Beyond that, I'm keeping all of my .pdfs in one directory on the computer so I can go back to them. Hand drawn sketches ... don't keep them. Haven't needed them yet!
--
www.MowryJournal.com

Thank You Sponsors!