iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

comparing Stihl ms290 vs. ms291 l

Started by REGULAR GUY, May 07, 2014, 06:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULAR GUY

It's about time for a back up saw.  Talkin to a dealer who has a few of the older (before new emissions) ms290 (new saws)  for about  $70.00 less than a new ms291 (new emissions). I don't do a hellva lot of timber work anymore but enough for a farm and having a sawmill. I don't like emissions for the sake of it , but I don't know about on these saws. I heard good and bad....what's new?  Thought I'd ask ya'll who is more up to the in's and out's.  Thanks,  Regular Guy

SawTroll

Really a "pest or colara" question, but the MS291 surely is the better of those designs, and much lighter (if you avoid all the silly add-on features).

Both were/are made with emission regulations in mind, it just was/is done in different ways.

Also, both are just somewhat large homeowner class saws, regardless what Stihl calls them in marketing.
Information collector.

jdhacker

I have a 291 I ran 9 gallons of fuel through it last year. 65 loads of wood. I put a few videos on youtube, so a guy could see it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OltbKH3x5Ww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUGPw3Q-ges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVh_m64qnl8
stihl 044
STIHL ms 291
Homelite XL12 for 31 years
140 husqvarna

Ianab

Both are perfectly good "firewood" type saws and should run for years with good care.

Personally I'd grab the old MS290 and save the $70. Nothing wrong with the 291. I just just don't think it's any big improvement, so I'd get the cheaper option.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chop Shop

AKDoug

The 291 is a smoother and faster saw than the 290. It's worth the extra money in my opinion.

SawTroll

Quote from: AKDoug on May 08, 2014, 03:43:45 AM
The 291 is a smoother and faster saw than the 290. It's worth the extra money in my opinion.

Surely, if I had to pick one of those....
Information collector.

7sleeper

Quote from: AKDoug on May 08, 2014, 03:43:45 AM
What would be for me the real criteria.
Better antivib, even if I am not using it every day and better air filtration.

But then again getting the old 290, selling the top end on ebay and getting the short block 390 kit from baileys would also be an option...  ;D

farmfromkansas

I have both models, and have a lot of miles on my old 290, and picked up a 291 last year.  Comparable power, both a little heavy, but very durable and long life.  I also have a 250 and a 025, and they are lighter, but do not cut as fast.  Still pretty good saws. Had a 026 that I traded on the 291, higher speed, but they overheat and you can score the cylinder.  Less problem on the 290s.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

realzed

I had a 290 and loved it - a little on the heavy side (I added a 20" bar but kept the .325 chain) and it worked very well for me for years cutting firewood. Very dependable and predictable - but I felt I wanted less weight to swing around in my advancing years , so this past Spring when Stihl had a sale on,  I bought a new 261 CM and the difference is quite startling.
The 261 has a lot smaller footprint, is a lot lighter, has better balance, better AV and filtering system - all as one would expect from a pro line saw verses a homeowner /farm saw.. But the most noticeable difference even though it has a smaller displacement (by 6 or 7 cc's) is the power and torque difference!
The dealer-friend I have said the difference between the 291 and the 290 would be somewhat of a tradeoff - but I would love the 261 in comparison to both and he was certainly correct.
The 261 is miles ahead on power especially, and it continues to build the more I use it!
If you have no real interest in a pro level saw because of price or features you feel you don't need, fine - but if you wish to have something to produce a substantial upgrade when it comes to features and performance - you may wish to take a closer look at the 261 model - just say'n.._

mike_belben

I dont think the stihl clamshell design is worth owning at all.  Not trying to hurt any feelings, but id say buy a pro stihl or a not stihl.  All the other brand homeowner saws are easier to fix.  Farmboss is the worst when it comes to reassembling tiny pieces with fat hands in small spaces.  It is only my opinion, but when i know how to do the job and have all the right tools for the job, the job should not be physically difficult for me to do. I have a terrible time getting 290 back together, every time.

That is not to say that another brand clamshell is better, only that repair is less aggravating.  They all have their issues.  For clamshells, its mostly leaking base sealant or intake boots wiping out jugs.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!