iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing saw mill build.

Started by leroy in kansas, May 07, 2014, 02:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leroy in kansas

Quote from: Southside logger on July 14, 2014, 10:53:44 PM
You do have some great skills there Leroy, but what I want to know is how are you going to weld the carbides onto that saw blade??? :D

Southside, this wood welding, is a skill I've yet to learn. I'm still looking for the book.  ;D 

leroy in kansas

Quote from: Darrel on July 14, 2014, 09:23:29 PM
I thought that whole assembly was going to straddle the log, but guess what either I was wrong or you put the wheels on wrong!   :D  it's ok though, I've been wrong before! ;D

Well, Darrel, Yes, and Yes.

Here is a pic of the track the saw will roll on. And where the log will rest while being butchered.

The track is 20' and 75" wide. so the saw will straddle the log, just like the big boys.

Darrel

Now I'm even more confused, but don't worry, I'll figure it out when you post pictures of the mill in action. I'm really looking forward to it!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

I guess that I will also be confused until Leroy gets back.  Those axles/wheels twisted my head, smiley_dizzy but I am confidant that he has a plan.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DeerMeadowFarm

Yes, I was following right along until the wheels were added.... ??? ??? ???

beenthere

Leroy may be "recalculating"...  hope this isn't a setback.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

In Reply #122, Leroy told us that he would be gone for a couple of weeks.  He just baited us up before he left.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tjhammer

MM I think he has installed the rubber tires to drive it around the shop you notice the flange 90% from the axel I think this is where he plans to mount his v wheels just thinking
tj
hammer

boardmaker

Quote from: tjhammer on July 16, 2014, 01:55:16 PM
MM I think he has installed the rubber tires to drive it around the shop you notice the flange 90% from the axel I think this is where he plans to mount his v wheels just thinking
tj

What I was thinking as well!

bandmiller2

Leroy, good build my friend but I think your base is far to light, it would work if on a smooth concrete surface only. One of the great advantages of a swing mill is to set it up over a large log your unable to move. A couple of heavy sections of tube or angle iron and removable spacers between would be better. Or mayby I' am missing something. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

barbender

My friends shop built swinger runs 2x4 (I think) rec. steel tubing. They are sturdy,  but man, those things are heavy. It is kind of a pain to set up, it takes over an hour. I'd think hard about aluminum rails like Peterson and Lucas use if you are looking for the best portability. If you aren't planning on moving it often, steel will obviously take much more abuse.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Leroy put wheels on his to maneuver it around, but the cat is still in the bag.   ;D

leroy in kansas

It looks like I better clear up some of my explanation. Sorry guys. Sometimes my head gets ahead of me.

I'm using "V" pully/shive for the rollers for the track, which is setting on concrete. I used countersink bolts so the heads wouldn't be sticking out and holding the rail off the concrete.

This pic is of the v pully installed in the end/bottom of the saw.

another view of the end of the saw where the shaft (bolt) that holds the roller.

I also got the steering arm made for the "front" axel. this and the pneumatic tires, will allow the saw to be moved on and off the track as well as onto a trailer. I will set up a different track to use the saw with while/when mobile.

I hope this sheds some light and clears  the confusion.

Thanks for looking.

Got to leave again tomorrow.

boardmaker

Just wondering if you have anything to update Leroy.  I know you said you were leaving town. 

Really looking forward to seeing this mill in action!

biggkidd

Great build well thought out and superb execution !!!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
Building a Band Mill  :)

Darrel

I was pretty sure that the answer was something like this thanks for posting more pictures!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

leroy in kansas

I've been so busy with life I haven't had much time for the saw.

I did get some work  in on it last week. I'll post an update as soon as I can.

Thanks  Leroy

leroy in kansas

Here is the progress report to date.

I'm in the process of trying to finish up the small details. I know if I don't do it now, it may not get done. So I'm going a bit slower than I'd like but still making progress. Just have the guards and exhaust to go. I think. Then Paint. Then saw dust.

I got the large chunk of iron cut down to the correct size with a 1" hole in the end.

This is how I put the key way in the hole. I moved the tool in and out as would happen with a shaper. Could only move .002-.003 per pass. It took a lot of in and out to get the key cut out to .100 deep. I had to rest several times and have a beverage.

Got it all finished up and mounted on the gear box.

I started mapping out the guard for the horizontal position. Not sure how it's all going to come together, but I'll share when it does. 

I also remounted Magic's favorite tank. It's away from where the exhaust will come out.

I'll have a little time to work tomorrow then gone again for the weekend.

Thanks for looking

biggkidd

I'll say it again You do some AWE inspiring work!  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
Building a Band Mill  :)

tjhammer

Leroy is that the saw you are using what size? where are you mounting your bearing on top or bottom of the swing frame
tj
hammer

daz111

Hi there Leroy I have been watching your progress with interest. I have sold my bandsaw to fund building a swing mill also here in New Zealand. One thing that has got my attention is that you haven't got a support bearing close to the blade. I feel that the extra side load on the gearbox shaft is of concern. Please do a search of the peterson or lucas mill setup. The extra bearing will also stop the spindle coming loose or off. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing some sawdust. 

leroy in kansas

TJ and daz, Thanks for your interest. your support is important to me.

I've been researching swing mills for the past 2 years in preparation for this build. I've seen all kinds of configurations. What has captured my interest is the electric motors with the arbor hooked directly onto the motor shaft. So, I'm going to "try" a similar setup. If we never push the envelope there is never any progress. I'm not at all sure if it will work but if I don't try I'll never know.

Good luck on your build and of course if I can help in any small way, will be glad to do.

Biggkidd, thanks much.

tjhammer

Leroy I understand how you feel about some one telling you what to do but  these saws are like a cocked gun it  could be very bad if the gear box flies apart I'm not trying to be a smart guy just make sure you have good blade guards, on my saw this fall I'm adding a 2nd bearing on the inside  makes the saw blade more stable in the cut, take care of your health
tj
hammer

leroy in kansas

Thanks TJ.

It's like I stated, I want to try this first. We'll see how it works out. If I have a hint of anything wrong I'll be the first in line to change.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: biggkidd on August 15, 2014, 11:21:27 AM
I'll say it again You do some AWE inspiring work!  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

All those clappers are giving me a seizure. :(

Looking forward to the finish line. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!