iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing saw mill build.

Started by leroy in kansas, May 07, 2014, 02:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Outstanding job on your mill build Leroy!! Can't wait to see it gnawing some logs 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

tjhammer

haven't seen a post in a while I figure you are working on the hard stuff I have a little diagram that may help luck
tj

hammer

mesquite buckeye

First I looked at this. Muy cool. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

bandmiller2

TJ, is that drawing assuming center gearbox is the pivot point.?? Thanks for posting that's one point my old brain had a hard time grasping. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ianab

Gearbox has to pivot around the input shaft. Otherwise the drive pulley will move as the gearbox swings.

If it's designed right, the pulley wont move, so you have no issues with drive belt tension.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tjhammer

frank the center of the gear box is the pivot point as Ianab said the box pivots hor to vert but the pivot point stays the same scout sent  the diagram to me I had already got my pivot point by trail and error what I didn't understand how I had done it is what that diagram makes simple when starting out I had no ideal what I was doing I had never seen a swing saw before only on u tube I was going to build a ban mill first but liked the swing saw concept better
tj
hammer

leroy in kansas

I'm still around. I've been working on life. I've got a little bit done in the past couple weeks. I'm working on the wiring for the winch motor. Have had to wait for parts a couple times. Hope I can get some more pic's up soon.

Leroy

Oh yes, I've got the pivot point down. I've got .003 run out as it turns. Figured this is going to have to be good enough.

Thanks TJ for the diagram.

dboyt

.003"???  You'll be off by more than that first time you sharpen the blade.  Good to see the update & that you're doing ok.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

leroy in kansas

Thanks Dave. Hope all is well with you and Mrs.

This wiring is kicking my butt. I need to see the orientation of an early ford (75-79) starter solenoid. I think I've got everything exactly backwards.

Can anyone take a pic of a ford setup and mark or explain the hot lead from the battery.

I don't have the necessary lab equipment available to complete this experiment.  8)   :P 

tjhammer

Leroy its been years since I have fooled with an old ford but I think looking at the solenoid the left big wire is incoming power and the right goes to what ever you are running  and the small wire on the rt goes to the coil and the lft to the ing so I would think the rt wire would  be used to excite the coil in the solenoid so it would have to come from your hand control and I think you need a hot wire on the other side of the hand control just thinking may be all wrong
tj
hammer

leroy in kansas

TJ, that's pretty well the way I remember it. With this orientation where is the bracket to fasten to the inner fender. Is it on top or the bottom of the solenoid? It's been to long and I can't find an old pu to look at. I tried the switch wire on the left and nothing. This is with the bracket on the bottom. I changed it to the rt. small pole and It clicks. I changed all the wire so It would be as you are describing and It will go up and down. However the pos. terminal/lead is getting rather warm. I don't remember this happening on the old fords.

Busy Beaver Lumber

This is a very impressive thread. You are very talented Leroy. Really enjoying watch this come alive.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

leroy in kansas

Thanks for the kind words BBL. I'm ready for some magic to happen. 

tjhammer

the bracket would be on the  back  don't remember if they had a resister built in the wire, GM had one on the firewall, the solenoid I don't think it was designed for prolonged use but as a up down should be ok, GM put fused links on their starters
tj
hammer

leroy in kansas

Well, I found a pic. of a solenoid on line, and sure enough, I've hooked the whole thing up backwards.  :embarassed:  It's amazing It worked at all.

I'll get this corrected and see how things go then.

leroy in kansas

Thanks for the help TJ. and all others. I believe we got it. After I changed all the wiring to the correct poles on the solenoids I still had a problem. It would go one way. I changed the switch leads and it would go the other way. Which meant There was a problem in the switch. The switch had a bar inside that activated both leads when the top switch is pushed.  I called technical at Surplus City and Dave was helpful. He said the only to find out if removing the bar and changing the lead directly to the switch, would work, is to try it. Well, it worked. I now have up and down, and nothing is overheating.

This is the pic. of the wiring installed backwards. Looks like a spaghetti factory.

This pic. is with the wiring installed correctly. I'm thinking it's looking a bit better here. Just seemed to work out well.

Next up is wiring the engine, making a mobile base, the arbor, and the track. Then saw dust. 

Darrel

The spaghetti factory looks a little more organized in the 2nd pic.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

Leroy,

Electronics are not my strong point.  Why the use of 4 solenoids?

Thanks

Jim
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

leroy in kansas

Quote from: Southside logger on July 08, 2014, 10:49:32 PM
Leroy,

Electronics are not my strong point.  Why the use of 4 solenoids?

Thanks

Jim

Jim, the 4 solenoids are used in this application as a gate valve would be used. It's to get the forward and reverse and make a complete circuit.

This is the diagram of the way it works. when you activate the switch on one it inturn activates another.

See if you can trace the current through the circuit. 

Firebass

Been awhile since I've lurked around here.  I always enjoyed the threads on the swingmill builders.   

Leroy,  Your build really takes me back to mine..  You are getting close..

TJ,  Good to hear from you! 

And all the rest of you as well!

I just moved my mill off of its permanent location to a couple of portable rails I made.  I get to slice up a 42" Log fir tomorrow.   

The old firebass mill has got some mileage on her now.  But still works great.  Leroy your mill will last a lifetime as long as there are trees to cut.

Firebase

bandmiller2

Leroy, the ford solenoids are made for intermittent short use as in starting. What would be better is longer duty cycle solenoids. I don't have my Cole-Hersey catalog anymore but their not much more expensive and are rated for continuos use in devices like electric winches. I would use what you have but if you have failures put the other solenoids in. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

tjhammer

good to see you back firebass anything good in the works?
tj
hammer

leroy in kansas

I've made a bit more progress on the saw. Going to be gone for the next couple weeks so I'll get this updated before I go.

Started with making all the parts for the running gear. these are for the steerable axel. 

And for the st. axel. I just cut stock to the size to go into the rec. tube (2x3") and the end cap the same size. Welded the parts together and stuffed it into the tube and welded the end.

Used some pipe clamps to hold things in place until I had it tack welded.

It's a simple quick way to make an axel.

These are brackets that go under the saw base to attach the wheels.

and the whole assembly ready for wheels and to go under the saw. The rear is same except for the steering.

And amazing as it may be, it worked. We're off the saw horses and on the tires.

I'll try to keep up as I have availability of a comp.

Thanks for looking

Darrel

I thought that whole assembly was going to straddle the log, but guess what either I was wrong or you put the wheels on wrong!   :D  it's ok though, I've been wrong before! ;D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

You do have some great skills there Leroy, but what I want to know is how are you going to weld the carbides onto that saw blade??? :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!