iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sharpening toward the power head

Started by 47sawdust, May 04, 2014, 06:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I just received my latest SAwmill&Woodlot magazine.There is a lengthy article about chain filing and the author's technique is to file toward the power head.I am not familiar with this method.Is this common practice?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Oliver1655

Typically with square filed chain you file into the cutting edge, outside to inside, towards the power head.  With round filed you cut from the inside to the outside of the cutter, away from the power head. 

I do know a fellow who file everything  "towards the power head.  Says it won't cause the chrome plating to flake off.

Now consider grinding. With the left side cutters the wheel turns from the inside to the outside while the right hand cutters have the grinding wheel spinning into the cutting edge.  Maybe this contributes to folks feeling hand filed is sharper?  Thoughts?
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

HolmenTree

One thing to consider is a square ground sawchain cutter has 2 cutting edges shaped like a chisel or hand plane knife .
Now consider both of those tools have a flat tapered surface and best sharpened flat or level.
A chain grinder wheel is round in shape......a file is flat. Which one makes the better chisel cutting edge surface?
Hand filing takes alot of practice or being a born natural  to avoid the "rocking chair motion" in the filing stroke.
A filing jig will help solve the rocking motion.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

charleswalton

What type of chain do you use a flat file on?All of the chain I have ever filed has been with a round file.

HolmenTree

Quote from: charleswalton on May 06, 2014, 09:42:44 PM
What type of chain do you use a flat file on?All of the chain I have ever filed has been with a round file.
These chains are pre ground  at the factory with a square 2 cutting edge design called chisel bit .
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

BradMarks

We always called filing from the outside toward the power head "goofy filing".  Now when I file, because of my wrists/hands, I file that way on the outside(right) cutters, and conventional on the inside(left) cutters.  Call me goofy but still am able to have a sharp chain - at least it cuts! ;D

ZeroJunk

Quote from: BradMarks on May 07, 2014, 11:29:53 AM
We always called filing from the outside toward the power head "goofy filing".  Now when I file, because of my wrists/hands, I file that way on the outside(right) cutters, and conventional on the inside(left) cutters.  Call me goofy but still am able to have a sharp chain - at least it cuts! ;D

I have always filed in to the cutter. No particular reason other than that I figured if you sharpened a knife in to the blade might as well sharpen a chain that way. Been doing it wrong for 45 years.

Oliver1655

A "Double Beveled" file is use for filing square ground chain.

Madsens has some interesting training resources which may be helpful:
For hand filing:
http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_cb_angles.htm
http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_chisel_qna.htm
For Grinding:
http://www.madsens1.com/sim_tuning.htm
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Thank You Sponsors!