iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recomendation for chain saw & chain for wood slabs

Started by Mike in Texas, October 25, 2017, 03:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike in Texas

In Texas here.  I make slab furniture, and currently using a local saw mill to cut slabs.

I would like to cut across the larger trees for rounds 32 to 36 inches.  So logs are on the ground or up a few inches o 4x4 's.  Cutting 3 1/2 or wider.   Need to cut 36 inches so I get a single surface.   In a single log 7 ft long I might get 20 to 25 cuts.  Maybe use the saw 2 days a month.  Besides the chain saw , any information on fixtures (if they exist) to cuts rounds more safer or accurately would be of interest.

I want to do the job within reasonable cost, and at this point I do'nt know what is.

All comments appreciated.  Thanks

DelawhereJoe

For cutting logs that big you should go with something that it rated to pull a 36" bar but the prices are high for them. Cheapest to run a 36" bar is an Echo cs-800p at around $850, Makita/Dolmar 7900 runs $850-$1000 or so,the Stihl 661 Husqvarna 390-395 would be the best but are the most expensive.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Mike in Texas

Very helpful, if I change to 32 inch, will that give me more choices?

DelawhereJoe

Also remember there is used at a cheaper price and used & abused that needs rebuilding at an even cheaper price.

sawguy21

:D Isn't that the truth. With a 32" bar you might get away with an MS460 or 372XP but you are really not gainning anything. For your use you need torque and lots of it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TKehl

??? ???  Confused here.  Are you:

A.  Cutting lengthwise to get boards?
B.  Crosscutting to get round and oval "cookies".  (Roundish and thin where the grain looks like a bullseye.)

It sounds like B, but most people do more of A.

You can use a skip tooth chain to run a longer bar than a saw is rated for, but it will cut slower.    Sounds like that would be an acceptable tradeoff for your situation.

I'm not aware of a jig other than a stack cutter, and they are expensive.  Fabbing something wouldn't be that hard though.  I'm thinking an Alaskan mill that mounts to a couple sliding vertical posts so that gravity would do most of the cutting work as the log lays on the ground.

At only 2 days a month, I would make sure the ROI pencils out before making purchases. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

DelawhereJoe

Also depending on where you are and whats around, you could always look into renting one for a weekend and just cutting everything then.

smoked

I have cleaned up cookies with my Alaskan mill running it horizontal.  Obviously you can't stand up and work on a 7 foot log so might have to waist a few cuts to get manageable chunks.  I am only getting 29.5" out of my 36" bar because of the sprocket so keep that in mind.  Cross cutting would be easier on the saw than ripping slabs so I too think you may be able to get away with something less than 90cc.

If I could find a .50 36" solid nose bar (stihl) I could get more like 32 or 33" out of the rest of my current hardware but that does not seem to be a common item.  Honestly, ripping 29" hardwood is a pretty decent chore for my 661 and the operator too:-) 
Hobby woodworker/wood burner
If I screw something up, it is free heat next winter:-)

Kbeitz

I have no idea what I'm talking about but I would like to throw in my $0.02.
What kind of HP does the Echo cs-800p , Makita/Dolmar 7900 , Stihl 661 Husqvarna
390-395 have ? Why could you not use a 20 hp lawn mower engine with a chainsaw
hub mounted on the engine shaft ? I'm now gathering parts to make a chainsaw chop
saw but I don't see why you could not cut slabs with it if 20 hp is enough. Just asking.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 28, 2017, 09:57:34 PM
Why could you not use a 20 hp lawn mower engine with a chainsaw
hub mounted on the engine shaft ?

You end up with something like a Peterson / Lucas dedicated slabber. You would need to gear up the shaft speed, so they use a jack shaft and pulleys to get the sprocket speed up to around chainsaw speed. This also isolated the engines crank bearings from the jarring of the chain. (It's just spinning a pulley / rubber drive belt like it's designed to)

And you have significantly more HP. The Dolmar 7900 has a bit over 6 hp, I assume the others are similar.

The Peterson slabber comes with a 22 or 27hp 4 stroke engine, but that can handle a 6ft log. Smaller logs would need less power.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!