iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How the Forks Attach to my Backhoe

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 03, 2014, 07:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

First of all. I take no credit for this design and I CAN'T weld. We have a neighbor who has a welding shop and he does our welding for us.

These forks are made to hook right up without getting off the tractor. Just tilt the bucket forward and drive in to them.
I have been asked my several members about pics......Voila...here they are.

The hooks are like 3/4" steel welded to the bucket. This is the the second bar thats been on there. The first one was not heavy duty enough....back to the shop and got a thicker wall tube and it actually has ANOTHER bar inside it. She works now.....the forks are 5 foot apart.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

lyle niemi

Thanx for the pics! I kinda had the same thing in mind for my backhoe. I would also like to add a grapple some how. The snow is gone from my bone yard now so I can go shoppin for some iron..lol

MikeZ

POSTON- Is that a boom box in the background hooked up to a POWERSTRIP ?
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: MikeZ on May 03, 2014, 07:55:05 PM
POSTON- Is that a boom box in the background hooked up to a POWERSTRIP ?

:D :D :D It is.  :D :D :D Its my Dewalt that runs off an 18volt battery that goes to the impact wrench, that I use to take off tires with holes in them.

I CRANK UP Barry Manilow and the BEE GEES on my BOOM BOX while I'm sawing.  :D :D :D :D :D

MikeZ

I wandered what the dog was barking at! 
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

barbender

I was going to say, I see you also have a "charger that rocks" in the background,  but somebody beat me to it. Maybe if you weren't so busy singing along with Barry you'd pay attention to where you were sticking your forks ??? ;D
Too many irons in the fire

magicmikey

I made these simple ones for occasional use, they clip onto the clam bottom. The fork is 4" channel with 3" upsidedown underneath.
mike

marcusthgault

Postonlt40hd
A useful arrangement.
However I do wonder why the top tube is not supported closer to the lifting hooks on the bucket.
Especially in the middle but also at both ends.
A far lighter tube will withstand shear force than bending(leverage) force.
Your tube is exposed to needless bending forces.
just a thought.
Marcus
Theres nathing as wouldnay werk better fer been teighn asundry furst.

ozarkgem

sweet. Nice, clean and simple.  The way it should be
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

21incher

Nice job. I like the fact there is no lifting or alignment required to hook them up. I have been trying to figure out how to put forks on my compact tractor and may make a miniature version of your setup.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: 21incher on May 04, 2014, 08:31:26 AM
I have been trying to figure out how to put forks on my compact tractor and may make a miniature version of your setup.

Be careful the bucket on a compact tractor probably isn't strong enough for that kind of setup. Also having the forks out in front of the bucket will greatly reduce the lifting capacity of the loader (and most compact tractors don't have much to begin with).

dun that

I welded 2 1/2" tubing in the corner of my bucket. I have some 2" square solid bars 30" long that silide into the tubing held in by pins. The only downside is you cant see them behind the bucket from the seat. Those slip on forks are real handy, never leave the seat to hook and unhook, wish i had some.

Scott

DanG

Welcome to the forum, dun that!  I done that too, but I put my tubing on the outside of my farm tractor bucket.

The forks for my backhoe work the same as Poston's.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jmouton

hey  poston   the bar holding your forks  probably  should be a solid bar,  and should have more attaching points on the bucket  , 5 would be good  ,  i have experience at this since i have owned  2 cat backhoes  for a while  and then sold  them  before we bought a saw mill ,  hindsight is a ,  you know what i mean , you will use them for something else and then bend the rod  if its not solid  ,   just my 2 cents worth

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ok Ya'll listen up... :)
The way my forks are attached.....needs nothing else. These forks will support more weight than the Backhoe can support. Trust me on this one.  ;D

This set up works for me....I'm happy and I ain't adding anything or taking nothing off.  :D
Your results may vary.

DanG

I agree, Poston.  Mine originally had five hooks but two were broken off when I got it. Then a fellow that was helping me was using it to pull a stuck vehicle out and tied to one of the remaining hooks then didn't pull straight, and snapped it off.  The two that are left will still support more than the loader will lift.  You won't bend the bar if the hooks are close to the forks.  ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

dun that

The reason there are only 3 lifting point is so u can adjust them to pick up a pallet or whatever. Never seen the tube bend, but seen more on the forks than the bachoe could pick up. If it aint broke, dont fix it!
Scott

Thank You Sponsors!