iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring on lt40 throttle

Started by Hale87, May 03, 2014, 07:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

The spring on my throttle cable is broken, but I'm not sure I need it to begin with?

other random pics...

Started cutting locust post for the mill shed. This one might have a little stress in it??

That log is almost 9 feet long, and 22inches on the small end. I'm a little hard on that 23 horse power Kubota sometimes.

First log on the mill.

2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Delawhere Jack

Yes, you need that spring.  ;D It assures that the motor reaches full (governed) throttle, even if you've made adjustments in the engagement lever.

Bet you're lovin' that new LT40 eh?  :)

Magicman

Yes, they do break.

Get both the spring and a new throttle cable.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There are those that break and those that are waiting to break.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

You can get by as you wait for the new one to arrive by getting some hay wire, stretch the spring enought to get the wire through the lower end up from where it broke  and then attaching  the wire to the bolt that would hold the spring in place, you need to adjust the lenght of the wire to be same as what the spring was. Its a just temporary fix I have used a few times to get me by while the new one is being shipped, now I keep a linguage in stock.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Hale87

It's been broken from the beginning. I've been sawing with it without any problems, that's why I wasn't sure it really had to be on there.
Magicman, why do you think I should replace the cable?
Thanks for the help guys.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Chuck White

If you feel that you need the spring, it can be ordered separate of all the other linkage!

The cost of the linkage is quite pricey!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: Hale87 on May 03, 2014, 11:08:16 PMMagicman, why do you think I should replace the cable?
The inside of the cable will have to be removed and threaded through the new spring.  Since the cable has flexed just as many times as the spring has sprung, you might not be able to slide the old one out and back in.  It is also sorta crimped where it goes under the set screw.  Mine would not come out.

The cable and spring together are only about $15.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

till you get the new one just bend a hook in the end of the old one, served me well many times
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ga Mtn Man

How has your throttle been working all this time with a broken spring? ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

You don't really need the spring, but the length of the linkage has got to be correct!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

backwoods sawyer

I am with MM I keep a spare cable assembly in the tool box, and since it is not always the cable that goes first I have salvaged a couple springs to keep in the box as well, I have rebent a hook to get by with.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!