iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TEXAS!

Started by Texas Ranger, February 17, 2002, 03:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

TEXAS PRIDE - GOD BLESS TEXAS!

When you're from Texas, people that you meet ask you questions like,  "Do you have any cows?" It's nice to be able to say yes.  They ask you,  "Do you have horses?"  up.  "Bet you got a bunch of guns, eh?" Of course.  Silly question.

They all want to know if you've been to Southfork.  They watched Dallas.

Have you ever looked at a map of the world?  Heck, yeah, you have.  Look at Texas for a second. That picture, with the Panhandle and the  Gulf Coast, and the Red River and the Rio Grande are as much a part  of you as anything ever will be. As soon as anyone, anywhere in the  world, looks at it they know what it is.  It's Texas. Pick any kid off the  street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll  know what it is.

What happens if I show you a picture of any other state? You'll get it  maybe after a second, but who else would? Even if you do, does it ever  stir any feelings in you?  In every man, woman and child on this little rock  the Good Lord put us on, there is somewhere in them a person who wishes  just once he could be a real live Texan and get up on a horse or ride in a
pickup.

Did you ever hear anyone in a bar go, "Wow...so you're from Ok-la-homa.  Cool. Tell me about it!"

There is some bit of Texas in everyone.  Do you know why? Because Texas  is TEXAS.  Texas is the Alamo. Texas is 183 men standing in a church, facing  thousands of Mexican nationals, fighting for freedom, who had the chance to  walk out and save themselves, but stayed.

We send our kids to schools named William B. Travis and Bowie and do you  know why? Because those men saw a line in the sand and they decided to be  heroes.  John Wayne paid to do the movie himself.  That is Texas.  Texas is  Sam Houston capturing Santa Ana at San Jacinto. Texas is Juneteenth and  Texas Independence Day.

Texas is huge forests of Piney Woods like the Davy Crockett National Forest.   Texas is breathtaking mountains in Big Bend. Texas is shiny skyscrapers in  Houston and Dallas. Texas is world record bass from places like Lake Fork.  Texas is Mexican food like nowhere in the world, even Mexico.  Texas is  larger-than-life legends like Willie Nelson and Buddy Holly, Earl Campbell and Nolan Ryan, Denton Cooley, Michael DeBakey, Lyndon Johnson and George Bush.

Texas is great companies like Dell Computer and Compaq. Texas is huge herds of  cattle and miles of crops. Texas is skies blackened with doves and leases full of deer.   Texas is a place where cities shut down for the Cowboys on Monday Night Football  and the streets are deserted during church. Texas is beaches, deserts, lakes and rivers, mountains and prairies.

If it isn't in Texas, you don't need it. No one does anything bigger or better.

By federal law, Texas is the only state in the U.S. that can fly its flag at the  same height as the U.S. flag. Think about that for a second. You fly the Stars  and Stripes at 20 feet in Maryland, or California, or Maine, and your state flag,  whatever the heck it is, goes at 17 feet.  You fly the Stars and Stripes in front of Pine Tree High in Longview at 20 feet, and the Lone Star flies at 20 feet, too.

Do you know why?

Texas was its own country.  The Republic of Texas.  All of that makes you  proud to be a Texan.  Our capitol is the only one in the country that is taller  than the capitol building in D.C.  We signed those in as part of the deal when  we came on.  That's the best part right there: WHEN WE CAME ON.    -- Author Unknown
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

psychotic1

Oh, I shouldn't do this...

Now Don,  you go back down there to the bottom of the contry and settle down.  Don't make me cut Alaska in half and make Texas the third largest state.

Bruce
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Bibbyman

Since you know so much about Texas,  please tell us about The Yellow Rose of Texas.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

CHARLIE

Wow Don! Talk about setting yourself up... :o  This is the truth. The other day a Texas rancher was visiting a Minnesota farm. The farmer took him from one side to the other. When they finished the Texan said, "Ya know....it takes me 3 days to drive my truck from one side of my ranch to the other." The Norsky farmer looked him square in the eye and said, "Yah, I once had a truck like that too."
:D :D :D 8) 8) 8) ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bud Man

Don ==You Got my juices flowing-- What office you running for!!= Lived in Lubbock once ,  It's a world of It's own, but so is every city in Texas .  Tell me where -Travis- Boone - Bowie & Crockett were from??   TEXAS  is a johnnie come lately but your right ain't nothing quite like it !!    But I share your last sentiment, it's the what you signed on to that says it all.  "The some of all Fifty is the best the world has ever seen"
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Texas Ranger

Bibbyman, the "Yaller Rose" (note spelling, its an east Texas thing) was a mullatto slave woman of General Santiana who supposedly kept the good General busy in his tent the morning that the Texicans caught them by surprise at San Jacinto.

"When we came on" is kind of a cowboy thing, you never were hired, just came on.

And Texas was not made by Texans, but by rejects, runoffs, drifters and adventurers from across the world.  Crockett, Bowie and the rest were those reckless men that tamed the frontier, and left Texas what it is.  

Texas Ranger

Charlie, another true one.  Texan in New York City for the week with his wife.  He dies and leaves his widow to take care of the body.  Being a rather large man (Texas thing again, must be all that beef, beans and beer) the widow was asking the undertaker if he had a coffin big enough for the Texan.

Undertaker said, "Don't you worry mame, we have handled Texans before, we just give them an enema and bury them in a shoe box!"

Bibbyman

Don.  You really do know your Texas history.   :P

The accounts I've read give the Yellow Rose more credit than keeping the General in his tent for some six days.  She overheard the plans and had another captive young slave sneak out with info for Sam Houston.  You never know, but without her distraction and involvement,  we could be guarding the border at Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma - trying to keep the "Texicans" on their side of the border. >:(

I understand the song "Yellow Rose of Texas" was evolved from a less "politically correct" poem of the day that would give you a clue that she was of African ancestry. (At least partly).

February is Black History month you know. :P
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bud Man

Don ==If it hadit been for Teneseauns Wouldnt be nuthing but a rebublick till  2day.  Crockett -Travis -Bowie and even Sam Houston, (all Teneseauns) fignagled by James K. Polk (nuder Teneseaun) wanting to be president is the very reason Texas is as great as it is 2day ,and maybe the crude that bubbled up out of the ground. ==== Pretty good sales pitch by Polk --He won as a result.=== And you forgot to mention the prickly pear jelly, sidewinders, chillie, longhorns, duststorms, Pecos Bill, roadrunners, tranculas, -,-,-,-,-,-,etc. in your campaign speech. But u let us no whut ofice u runin for and i'l  sure vote 4 ya n might bring a cuple bus loads of Teneseauns along 4 good measure to hep out. Keep n tuch !!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Papa Dave

I JUST LOVE TENNESSEE,ESPECIALLY KNOWING WE HELPED SAVE TEXAS.  ;D

Texas Ranger

Save, hell.  Create.  Those good for nothings that wrote GTT on their farms and homes created heaven, right here north of the Rio Bravo.

Good to see the blood still runs true.

By the way, yall got one good politician in Thompson.

Texas Ranger

psychotic1. If I said it once I have said it a hundred times.  With a couple of tankers in Valdez burning we could melt Alaska to the size of Rhode Island ;D

Texas Ranger

Budman, that must be why I live in Polk County.

By the way, I am not running for nothing but the county line, where the liquor stores begin. ::)

Texas Ranger

bibbyman, notice your from Fulton, I come from St.Clair, just another Texian that became one from choice, not chance.

Bud Man

Don ==Bet you $10 dollars against a Krispy Kreme ( Think they originated in Tenn. too) your county was named after Polk. ===You ought to have a  Crockett- Bowie -  Travis county as well.=== When I lived in Lubbock (Mid Seventies)  I was told that there were more boats per capita registered in Lubbock county that any other county in the state !!    There wasn't a lake over 40 acres within 200 miles((Texan's  Are Determined People) ===    I drove a Texas Caddilac (Suburban) and if you didn't drive at least 95mph your life was in danger and when I encountered my first dust storm I thought the world was coming to an end.=== The storm lasted about a week and then it rained marble sized mudballs and was over.     Get with you sometime and drink a Pearl together !!      "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"

psychotic1

And if you started Alaska melting, Texas would just wash away with the rest of the crud and dust.

Hmm...  And we could get rid of California, and most of Florida...
Tom, you best get ready to move north aways.  This is sounding more appealing by the minute.

Bruce

Frank_Pender

Well, boys and girls, I too live in Polk County, but that is in Oregon.  this here county was named after Pres. Polk and the near by town after his Vice President.  Original name of the community was Cynthia Ann.   Now, who can be the first of  you historians to tell me the name of the community, named after Polks VP?  There are only ten of them sor tof towns in the United States. ::) :P ;)
Frank Pender

Tom

There is a lot of Florida that I don't recognize anymore and don't visit because I don't speak the language, but, move North......North ! !    Maybe I could tred water till we came back up. (?)  :D

DanG

HEY! Go for it, Psycho-Bubba.  Melt it down and flood out all them fine beach houses. Me and Tom could saw the lumber to build new ones at the new beach. My place sits on the first hill north of the Gulf Coast. They could build the new Beach-Front Super Walmart right there next to the barn. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

psychotic1

Okay... You know it's bad when people in the state want it washed away.
Sorry guys, if I did that, I'd have to move back aboard a boat, and there just ain't enough room for me, my saws and a sawmill aboard.

Bruce

Ps.  I do miss the daily 4:30 thunderstorms in Orlando thgough.

CHARLIE

OK y'all Texans!  How many counties y'all got named after the famous Minnesota cowboys and cowgirls like; Aarsvold, Almhjeld, Amundsen, Anderson, Arndorfer, Bakken, Badenschier, Berge, Croghan, Craighead, Dugstad, Sven and Olie?

Also, did you know that Florida is the 2nd largest beef producing state in the U.S.?  And if you want to see a REAL Cowboy, you have to go to Florida where they have to lasso alligators, drag 'em out of the watering hole and tie 'em to a tree so the cattle can drink. After the cattle and horses finish drinking, they draw straws on whose gonna go up and untie that aggravated gator. ;D  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bud Man

You show up in Texas with a name like that ===They'd slap a hot branding iron on your rump and put a yoke around their neck !!

Bud Man

Frank ===That would be ( Dallas ) Named after George Mifflin Dallas. He was VP  to James K Polk.  Dallas Texas is also named after  GMD .

Frank_Pender

Congrats, Bud Man, you just passed phase one of my history class.   8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Corley5

Two boys are playing football at this park in a small town in Texas
when one of the boys is suddenly attacked by a crazed Rottweiler.

Thinking quickly, the other boy takes a stick and shoves it under the
dog's collar, twists it, and breaks the dog's neck, thus saving his
friend.

A sports reporter who was strolling by sees the incident and rushes
over to interview the boy.  He tells the boy he's going to write the
story and says, "I'll title it 'Young Longhorn Fan Saves Friend From
Vicious
Animal'".

"But I'm not a Longhorn fan", the little hero replies.

"Sorry, since we're in Texas, I just assumed you were", says the
reporter and he starts writing again.

He asks "How does 'Aggie Fan Rescues Friend From Horrific Attack'
sound?"

"I'm not an Aggie fan either", the boy says.

"Oh, I thought everyone in Texas was either for the Aggies or the
Longhorns.

What team do you root for?", the reporter asks.

"I'm just visiting my cousin, I'm a Oklahoma Sooner fan", the boy
replies. "They're just the best!"

The reporter smiles, starts a new sheet in his notebook and writes:
"Little Redneck Bastard From Oklahoma Kills Beloved Family Pet".
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!