iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

command control vs walk along

Started by hunz, May 03, 2014, 08:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

So I've found two other threads pertaining to the question, but both get off topic very fast. For those who have operated both a walk along and CC setup on a Woodmizer, which do you prefer working alone(if you have drag back)? Do you feel it is worth the extra coin? I am thinking of potentially upgrading to a used lt-40 super for increased production, but obviously no one wants to blow money on features that won't substantially increase production. My main complaints with walk along are the sawdust bath on windy days, and having to traverse that tire on any log over 10'. Thanks in advance!

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

barbender

I've never ran one with command control, but in my mind it is a way better set up, and for the reasons you mentioned.
Too many irons in the fire

MNMiller

I have only run the walk along Woodmizer with walk along... It is one of the reasons we went with a Timberking 1600 with Command Post.  Not having a sawdust bath is a nice thing :)   
TK1600

mesquite buckeye

I've banged my  shins many a time walking along. We don't get many mesquite logs over 10' though.
Good thing is you are right there so you can see what is happening better than back 10-20'. Also standing in one place makes my legs hurt.

If you are working alone, you are right there for offbearing with walk along.

etc. etc. etc. ;D With apologies to The King and I. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

york

Hi,i have an old TH and i converted to walk along-the HYD.controls are on the opposite side of the sawdust discharge and this works good for me,so this means that this mill has two HYD. systems-no drag along hoses,nope...

Albert
Albert

Magicman

I have only sawed with my sawmill which is a walk along, except I have the operator's seat which makes it a ride along.  I like being up close and personal, except when the wind is wrong.  I can see an advantage of having the portability option.

If I was buying a new sawmill and had the decision to make, I would have to make a visit and actually put my hands on a Command Control unit.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I don't have CC, but I do have the wireless remote. I much prefer not having to walk, especially around the tire. The downside to the CC, as I see it, is the cat track, which limits you to a 6' extension. If you never plan on sawing over 27', then I think the CC is a great way to go. Wireless is my preference, especially considering that I have a BX24, and I will not have a mill without it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nomad

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 03, 2014, 06:35:57 PM
I don't have CC, but I do have the wireless remote. I much prefer not having to walk, especially around the tire. The downside to the CC, as I see it, is the cat track, which limits you to a 6' extension. If you never plan on sawing over 27', then I think the CC is a great way to go. Wireless is my preference, especially considering that I have a BX24, and I will not have a mill without it.

The only complaints I have about the wireless is, you need to keep your hand on the joystick 'cuz there's no detent for forward.  And it really gets in the way when you're trying to help out handling boards.  But overall I like it a lot!  I really enjoy being able to check out the cut from all angles and getting away from the sawdust on windy days.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

I agree about the detent. I just swing the remote around to my back when I'm handling lumber or running the Lull.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GDinMaine

I mostly saw alone and I have the walk-along setup.  For my purposes I prefer it the way it is.  When the cut is done I'm right there to move the slab, flitch or boards off the mill.  I bought my mill used and was looking for this kind of setup for those reasons.  Interestingly at the time of my purchase I found more CC equipped units then "walkers".
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

cutterboy

I operate a walk-a-long and I like it that way. I like to feel the cut so that I can slow the cut or speed it up. My mill shoots the sawdust out the other side so I don't walk in it, however when the wind is from the wrong direction it can be unpleasant. To be fair I must say that this is the only mill I've run.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

bandmiller2

When I ran the LT-70 it had a CC but I also had an offbearer, its milling at a distance. If your eyes are good fine. My own homebuilt I walk along and find it easier to spot nails and make measurements and generally get personal with the log. My mill has an automatic feed and will stop at the end of the cut if I want to pull boards or scratch. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

customsawyer

I run both. I like both and I dislike both. Mostly for the reasons already mentioned. One of the main things I like about the CC unit working alone I can stack the lumber while the mill is making the next cut, with out having to chase the mill down after the cut. I think that you need to have a edger to get the most out of a CC unit, other wise you are having to walk around it to shove the fletches back on to the loader arms. The thing I like about the walk along mill is that I am right there and can keep a closer eye on what the blade is doing. I also like to let my right hand drag on top of the cant from time to time as I can usually feel any waves before you see them.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Larry

I watched a sawyer sawing grade with a ride along one day.  He had been to the NHLA short course and had a good understanding of grades.  On the gig back, sometimes he would slow to see if a dark spot was just a swirl or indeed a knot.  I'm sure his grade recovery was way above average and he was making money for the mill owner.  Of course he had two off-bearers.

Sawing alone at my TK console, to get a good look at the next board I have to look at the bottom of the one I just dragged back.  For what I saw most times it doesn't make a difference.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodmills1

Having owned a walk 40 and now a remote 70 this is my take
Working by my self I would have a walk along with computer
Why?
To leave the remote and pull slab edgings then go take the clamp back
takes way too much time
Really I have a 70 computer with remote and an edger
by myself OMG  DanG I gotta walk all the way over     Enough

An LT40 HD is the perfect one man saw
put a computer on it and I will keep a small city busy
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

backwoods sawyer

I spent many years in a production mill and wore out an ankle and half of the rest of my body so when I searched out my mill the CC was an option that was a must have and an option I would seek in a new mill as well. I only have so mony steps avalible in a day and there are plenty of other things thru out the day to use those steps on.
Having the CC on the end of the mill you are far enough back to see the whole picture yet close enough to see any saw deviation, where the walk along I test drove did not have a good veiw of the far side of the log when milling a big log.
With the CC you may be farther from the sawdust shoot but the wind will still put sawdust in the back of the truck.
The Cooks mill has the hydraulic controls on a swing arm giving you a work area that you can have a good veiw from. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

wwsjr

I have owned both, LT40 Manual and LT40HD walk along and 2 LT40 Super with CC. Sawing alone I much prefer the CC with dragback. If I have a helper I usually sit on a shop stool while sawing. If you are going with Accuset and Autoclutch there is not much difference in cost to add the CC. I would never go back to walk along. I use an edger so the only thing I do not drag back are the first cut slabs on a log. I stack these slabs on a rack at the end of mill.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

scully

I used a bunch of walk mills . I don't mind it at all ,and you get to watch the cut much better which is nice . But now that I have a super remote ,I'm not so sure I could ever go back ! 1 simple draw back is now you can't add a bed extension . Back a few years ago I desighned and built a platform to stand on that attached to a WM walk behind it could even attach to the front . It was quikly dismissed however many of the Amish sawyers took a huge intrest in it . I had plans to refine it but there seemed to be no point.
I bleed orange  .

hunz

Well it appears that the opinions are mixed, both options have merit, and I'm sure that comes from every sawyer having a different style. I won't say that I don't want CC, but the used market isn't exactly full of them. With sawing a lot of locust, grade is of big importance to me. One board may be FAS grade with the next having a football sized void in it...CC may not allow me to see those small pinhole voids as well. With locust that may indicate a turn to another face is needed. It's easy to destroy the yield from a log without a face turn at the proper time. I didn't really think about this being a necessity, until it was mentioned about getting "personal" with the log.

I know some avenues of milling don't require this as much; pallet lumber, quantity custom cut, and cutting ties.....don't hang me for that statement.  From strictly a production standpoint, it seems CC is more "suited" for it, while walk along is tagging just behind with a more personal touch.

Hmmmm, now wireless has my attention.....one could be personal from many angles ha!!

drobertson

I like my CC, wasn't sure about them when I first bought the mill, I researched a few mills, decided on the 40 super. Glad I did, although a 70 might have changed a few things.  I like the hydraulic controls at the CC, everything is at the finger tips, and allows for a very comfortable control.  A walk along would be ok if the mill was a smaller manual, it seems like getting around the wheels would be a pain on ones with a trailer package.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

With the Operator's Seat, I can sit up on the seat back and really see the top face as I saw.

Of course the seat can be removed and you can still walk.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JB Griffin

My Keener Built is a walk along hyd and needless to say I do a lot of wallkin in a days time.
The hyd controls are at the hitch end and to turn, clamp, toeboard or backstop you have to walk all the way back there and walk back to the head and saw again.

Right now just tryin to get it paid off, but when I do, really thinkin of trading it off for a CC Cooks HD32 or AC36 of WM super 40, or completely re building this mill, makin it a 4post and much faster hyd.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

hunz

Quote from: Magicman on May 04, 2014, 04:09:14 PM
With the Operator's Seat, I can sit up on the seat back and really see the top face as I saw.

Of course the seat can be removed and you can still walk.

There aren't many who you can say "saw with style".......I believe this picture to be the epitome of style at the mill!

RALFF

I have never used anything but a walk along LT40hd, so I cannot compare the two. I can say that the walk along will give you your daily workout. I recently cut some SYP for a friend and was cutting and stacking by myself. I decided to wear my pedometer on one of the days I was sawing and at the end of the day I had made just short of 12,000 steps.

Thank You Sponsors!