iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best band thickness for 19" wheels

Started by kelLOGg, May 02, 2014, 09:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I have always run 0.042" bands on my MP32 because the accepted wisdom is that thicker bands are prone to break sooner because they can't withstand the radius of curvature of a 19" band.

Does anyone run thicker bands and if so, what has your experience been?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Dave Shepard

I run .055" on 19" wheels (LT40) and I get four or five sharpenings. .045" would be more like 10.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

I run .045's on my LT40 and I usually get anywhere from 8 to 12 sharpenings per blade!

When I spot a crack in a blade, the blade goes in the scrap metal bin!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

5quarter

Bob...I like to run .045" bands and have ran .055"s occasionally. You really need more ponies to get the most out of the .055" bands, but can easily run the .045"s to the max with your engine size. I haven't found blade life to be an issue. I am trying to get the folks at Cooks to bring back the .045" band as mine are all coming to the end of their useful life. If your running supersharps, ask them to order a .045" coil if you're thinking of running them. The more requests they get, the more likely they are to bring them back. I've tried to tell them that the .045" is the new .042".  :D :D :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

hackberry jake

Ever cut a pine log that had really hard knots and the band really wanted to duck and dodge and dive? The .055s make that much better.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

kelLOGg

Thanks, this is some very useful info. I am thinking of Cooks Excel or Silvachrome, both come in 0.050". I have two Cook bands and one WM among my miscellaneous stache, and they are quite stiff. They measure 0.047" thick (maybe that is an allowable variation for a 0.045 or 0.050) so I wouldn't want one any stiffer. Next week I will ask them about 0.045 inchers.

For years I have been running Simonds 0.042s and get 6 -7 sharpenings but I have been idling a lot (w/ band running) because I have a manual mill. I have begun disengaging the band upon return to reduce the breakage rate BUT I am also thinking of going to a thicker band which may put the rate back up.

I have had my share of rising over knots in pine but not in the last few years. I hope my sharpening skills or better than they were or maybe the knots are just not as big.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

barbender

I have been using the 045's for general purpose, 055's when the going gets tough. They definitely break sooner from metal fatigue,  and in 1 1/2" blades they are a bear to handle.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!