iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First time under the Sun…..and the last I hope.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 02, 2014, 07:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The opening to my mill is only 13'-6". I took on a job consisting of nothing but 14, 16, and 20 foot logs. (White Oak).
So I finally bit the bullet and pulled the mill outside.
Sure felt strange sawing under the sun.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tule peak timber

Cool pics ! Too hot here in the summer to mill outside. Working on extending our cover this week.... Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

goose63

The sun would feel real good now that the rain is gone
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 02, 2014, 07:49:58 PM
Cool pics ! Too hot here in the summer to mill outside. Working on extending our cover this week.... Rob

It hasn't got hot here yet Rob.....low 50's in the mornings right now......but come july......I'll be sawing in the shed.  :)

WmFritz

David, might want to rub her down with some Hawaiian Tropic... maybe a SP 50.
Else she'll turn a nice pale, boiled crawfish color like Magicman's.  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

red oaks lumber

i betcha your legs are still white and ugly :D :D ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WmFritz on May 02, 2014, 07:55:51 PM
David, might want to rub her down with some Hawaiian Tropic... maybe a SP 50.
Else she'll turn a nice pale, boiled crawfish color like Magicman's.  :)

I did think about that Bill.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on May 02, 2014, 07:56:11 PM
i betcha your legs are still white and ugly :D :D ;D

.....and scared from wounds Steve.  :D

lyle niemi

I hope ya didn't get yerself a sunburn..lol Can you show me a better pic of how you mounted your forks on your backhoe?? Thanx in advance

Magicman

Actually you did not have to move the sawmill.  After you pushed the first 20 footer through that opening, the rest of them would have fit easily.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 02, 2014, 07:43:03 PM
The opening to my mill is only 13'-6". I took on a job consisting of nothing but 14, 16, and 20 foot logs.

A job with nothing but 16 and 20 foot white oak logs would be a reason for me to keep the sawmill in the shed :D and put up a "do not disturb" sign :D

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 02, 2014, 08:15:44 PM
Actually you did not have to move the sawmill.  After you pushed the first 20 footer through that opening, the rest of them would have fit easily.   :o

Now ya tell me!  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 02, 2014, 08:19:28 PM

A job with nothing but 16 and 20 foot white oak logs would be a reason for me to keep the sawmill in the shed :D and put up a "do not disturb" sign :D

YH

I have lived by that motto for 3 years but this job is for one of our farmer friends redoing hay wagons.  ::)

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ga Mtn Man

If I'm not mistaken this is your first mobile job.  Don't forget to charge for the mileage. :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Red Clay Hound

You keep sawing outside you'll have to get you a Magicman umbrella like I did  :)

2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

whitepine2

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on May 02, 2014, 09:33:37 PM
If I'm not mistaken this is your first mobile job.  Don't forget to charge for the mileage. :laugh:

Ya and better repack the wheel bearings before putting back LOL LOL

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Red Clay....you need a head light.  ;D

hackberry jake

Careful. I hear them WM mills start turning their TRUE COLOR when left outside too long  ;)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 02, 2014, 09:49:19 PM
Red Clay....you need a head light.  ;D
Poston, that ain't my truck. :D  Belonged to the customer - worked great for haulin' off slabs, though.  Typical farm truck around these parts. :)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

barbender

I'very been sawing 16'and 20' Bur oak decking, and it hasn't been that much fun at all. Especially the 20', positioning is critical so you have room on both ends of the log, and the board drag back doesn't work because it doesn't clear the end of the log to hook it. Mine had sat a year and was starting to get dry, and man it is hard on blades. A blade per log >:(
Too many irons in the fire

JoeB

Howdy, look's like a "clam shell" on that Case, "Da**ned Kids" LOL!

tule peak timber

Poston, is that a tarp in your mill building for sawdust collection? Just noticed it in your first pic, this morning. I assume you drag it out to dump ? Rob

Magicman

Poston will say yes, but he seldom tells the truth. 

Actually that is a sawdust covered dance floor where he has been practicing his dance moves trying to be accepted into the troupe.   I doubt that he makes it because he "skins" so easily.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

Heck, I still like disco....Shows what I know  ;D

Delawhere Jack

You went mobile and didn't bring your fan along?   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 03, 2014, 09:32:43 AM
Poston, is that a tarp in your mill building for sawdust collection? Just noticed it in your first pic, this morning. I assume you drag it out to dump ? Rob

Yes Rob.....it is an old conveyor belt. My friend who was killed in a farming accident 3 years left 2 of these sawdust collectors to me. I love him for it......it sure saves my back. I just drag it to the pile....lift the back hoe bucket and drive forward.....it turns it upside down and all the sawdust comes right off.

By the way......I'm like Disco too!

Don't listen to Magic.....he'll get me in trouble.  :D

Dave Shepard

I hope you packed the RTV with everything you needed for a road job. Spare bands, grease gun, LogRite, etc. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You will not BELIEVE what I did! I remember someone saying recently....."This is the worst day of my life".....

*************I STUCK THE DANG FORK ON MY BACKHOE THROUGH THE MILL'S TIRE!*****************

I was sick! I am surprised y'all didn't hear me as far away as Mississippi. I finished my sawing an then took off to the tire store with the flay before they closed......it being Saturday!

Cost me $89.00 plus my time. Bent them rim to boot. Its fixed now and the mill is back in the shed.

First one that laughs at me....I'm gonna FLY OFF THE HANDLE!  fudd-smiley

Nomad

Start shootin' when we get to Customsawyer's place. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

pineywoods

If it makes you feel any better, I'll admit to having done the same thing, almost. I broke off the valve stem.  :(
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Rough day for my first road trip. I don't know where this guy got his logs from.....but ......well....what a day!  ::)
Everything had stress in it.....even the Sawyer.  :)

GAB

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 03, 2014, 07:15:25 PM
You will not BELIEVE what I did! I remember someone saying recently....."This is the worst day of my life".....

*************I STUCK THE DANG FORK ON MY BACKHOE THROUGH THE MILL'S TIRE!*****************

I was sick! I am surprised y'all didn't hear me as far away as Mississippi. I finished my sawing an then took off to the tire store with the flay before they closed......it being Saturday!

Cost me $89.00 plus my time. Bent them rim to boot. Its fixed now and the mill is back in the shed.

At least you know who did it.  And if you want a good look at the culprit all you need to do is find a mirror.
Next time aim higher.  About 8" should be enough.
Gerald

First one that laughs at me....I'm gonna FLY OFF THE HANDLE!  fudd-smiley

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

Remember the dancing video???  That I would like to forget.  :)Someone is getting you backkkkkkk.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I won't make fun of you, but I might take a pic of my mill tire with the big hole in the sidewall.  ;) The Lull I'm using has a small idiosyncrasy that causes the boom to shift left and right when you adjust the tilt of the forks. This is due to the main boom pin being worn out, and the leveling cylinder at the back of the machine pushing on it when you level the forks. Well, last winter I was picking up a pile of slabs off the loading arms and adjusted the tilt of the forks. There is just enough room for the fork to clear the tire and the loading arm on the right side, but it shifted to the left about four inches. It made a pretty strange noise when it deflated, not unlike the noise I made when I deflated upon seeing the damage. Fortunately, I don't move my mill very often, so it hasn't caused too much trouble, I just borrowed one off the landscape trailer. I will say that a 7.50 16 is a good bit fatter than a 235 x whatever it is that comes on there. Makes the mill list a little to one side. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on May 03, 2014, 07:28:12 PM
Remember the dancing video???  That I would like to forget.  :)Someone is getting you backkkkkkk.  ;D

:D :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dave Shep........It sure does make a strange noise.  :D

thecfarm

Good thing you brought the tools along you needed to change a tire on a mobile job.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on May 03, 2014, 07:37:01 PM
Good thing you brought the tools along you needed to change a tire on a mobile job.  ;D

I would have hated to drive back 20 yards to get it.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: nomad on May 03, 2014, 07:21:09 PM
      Start shootin' when we get to Customsawyer's place. :D

You killing me!  :D :D :D :D

thecfarm

POSTON,call up a NH dealer,2003 TC40A,ask how much a left lens cover is for the headlight. You got out of it cheap. Than ask about a rear right fender is. I never did find out how much. let me know OK?  :D  I never replaced either one.

Magicman

Better be thankful that tires are not $300.  :D 

YellowHammer

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 02, 2014, 08:19:28 PM
....would be a reason for me to keep the sawmill in the shed :D and put up a "do not disturb" sign :D
YH

::) I'm not going to say anything....
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 03, 2014, 09:56:15 PM
Better be thankful that tires are not $300.  :D

Ain't that the truth.....lesson learned though.  ;D

Magicman

Actually you got a very good deal on that replacement tire.   ;D

red oaks lumber

poston
you really are a true blonde aren't you :D :D  don't you have road side assitance for tires? every mobile sawyer has it. ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on May 03, 2014, 10:38:57 PM
poston
you really are a true blonde aren't you :D :D  don't you have road side assitance for tires? every mobile sawyer has it. ;D

I worked hard for this GRAY blonde hair.  :D

GAB

Poston:
The good thing is you know who did it, and you did not have to do any detective work to find out.
Store this experience into your memory bank and next time keep the forks a little higher.
Taking the mill out gives you a good opportunity to clean the sawing shed without having to go around the mill.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

backwoods sawyer

Not the first tire I have had to replace on the mill, at least you were not traveling at 65 when it got poked the air poked out ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Last fall I cut about 50 logs from friends place and was hauling them to mill. Last load of 4 had a small log already loaded. Had another that was a little bigger, so I pulled the smaller, now I mean small one, off the trailer down by the wheel and put the bigger one on. Then I am trying to flip the little one back on the forks and punched a hole in tire. Went to tire shop and cost was $90.00. The bigger log that I switched out brought less than $5.00.bg

Red Clay Hound

Wow, Backwoods Sawyer, when you blow a tire you go all out! :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Y'all making me feel a little better with every story.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!