iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Dust Collector Quitting

Started by Lud, May 02, 2014, 05:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

It's been in the bottom of the barn for 20+ years, works off a remote well and there's been a few nights where I forgot to turn it off.  Well it sounded different yesterday and then it seemed to jam so I shut it off.

Took off a cover and could turn the blades by hand....there was no particular jam and it started up after I buttoned everything up.  It was a lot noisier than I seem to remember and it then quit again.  Without taking it completely apart , the motor seems to be lined up directly with the center of the fan.

So the question is ........is it like bearings?  In the motor or in between?  I tend to keep things going if I can but it is an old bugger so I thought I'd ask you lads for your thoughts.......

Thanks,       Lud ???
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Larry

It might be bearings.  If it is, they are not hard to change on most motors.  Most common motor bearings are also inexpensive.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Lud

Thanks,  Larry.   I got into it a bit earlier today and it does seem to be a straight motor to fan link.

The unit was from Total Shop, a 2 HP , 2 pole running on 110 at 3450 rpm dated 12-1991.  There's a bolthead holding the steel fan on so I guess I'm asking it's the bearing in the motor that I'm going to change? I don't need to watch for brushes or anything do I?

Thanks again.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Larry

Just be sure its a bearing and not a burnt winding.  Bad bearings usually scream, wine, rumble, or make some other nasty noise.

I found a picture of one on google.  Looks like a standard single phase capacitor start motor...no brushes as its not that old.  If the motor has grease zerks or nothing it will have bearings.  If there is an oil cup that normally means some kind of bushing which could be trouble as some are scarce.  The hardest part will be getting the motor separated from the blower.  After 20 years the fan may not want to come off.

Once the motor is free, put a witness mark on each end bell and a corresponding mark on the center case.  This is so you can reassemble the same way.  There will probably be 4 long bolts holding things together.  Take these out.  Now you can pop off the end bells with a tap from a rubber hammer.  Inside the end bell closest to the wiring box there will be a centrifugal switch.  All kinds of ways that it can be mounted so just peep in to make sure you don't tear up something.    There might also be some washers, possible a wavy one for pre-load.  Take good notes or a picture so things go back together right.  Try to remove the end bells.  Sometimes I pull the rotor out from the end opposite the switch.  Just whatever way is easiest.  The bearings will either be on the shaft or remain in the end bells.  They will be a light press fit.  Most of the time I just tap them off/out instead of setting up my press.  The bearings will have a number...I use vxb.com and use the slow (and cheap) shipping option.  They show up in a few days USPS.

While waiting for bearings look at the centrifugal switch contacts.  They get dirty and pitted...lot like the points on old cars.  You can clean and dress up them fairly easy.

It's not really hard messing with them.  Good luck.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

jamesamd

Inspect the ring that holds the centrifugal switch contacts.
It may be cracked
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Lud

Thanks guys.  Great write-up, Larry.  I'll get into it asap.

Lud

So I got the motor apart and the one end cap brought the whole armature out and the one ball bearing bearing was shot. Some balls are gone!  Other is fine seemingly.  Levering, tapping, soaking with good ol' Rust Reaper is not getting it off .  Refuses to move.

Should I use a cutting disc to cut the outer race and then the inner?  Heat?

What to do?

Larry

Is the bearing stuck on the shaft?

Lud

Yes, Larry, it is stuck on the shaft.  Plan to get it off this morning......will cut it with a disc to release it if I have to.

ely

I agree with the vxb for bearings. sometimes I have to order 10 bearings in a package but they are way cheaper than one local bearing. also some of the bearings are listed in metric so be prepared to do some ciphering.
unless you have a good bearing to get numbers from you may need to measure before you destroy it.

Larry

Sometimes the bearing grease can form a varnish which glues the bearing in place.  A squirt of lacquer thinner followed by lubricant might help.

Harbor Freight sells a cheap bearing puller that might work.  I've resorted to home made contraptions at times.  Wear eye protection if you try cutting it off.

Ely had a good idea to measure before destruction.

Lud

Cut it off and found the number, cleaned the pieces up and went to Fastenal.  Told the girl I read it as 52022.   She says no, it's 62022, ....but then can't find it on the computer.  Her co-worker comes back just then and she asks him for help and he says  ,put in 6202Z, and they find it and , of course,  they don't have it.

Time wasted? None ! now I can go to vxb.com and ask for the right thing! :D

beenthere

And only $2.37.  Wonder what the shipping and handling will be.   ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

They give a choice of shipper.  It's normally $5 something shipped USPS and no handling fee.  Normal material cost to change both motor bearings is $10 something.

Lud

$5.55  for "whenever it gets here" and I got 2 of them (just in case).  We're away next week so no rush.

Thanks again for the help.  May wake this thread up again when I try to put it back together!! ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!