iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting the clearing today for my garage.

Started by Woodhauler, May 02, 2014, 11:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Hydro ax is on its way! Going to cut the wood off and lug it out ofthe way. Taking the crap to a chipper, saving the HW for firewood.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Woodhauler

All the stuff is cut that the shear can cut, got some hand work tommorow to do. 10 or so big trees and 2 sheds to move! Hopefully gravel will go down next week. ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Ed_K

Your getting right on it  8) . It's better working on concrete.
Ed K

thecfarm

Postings off the roads there to haul gravel? Cut any white pine away from the site, I hate them trees. I have seen 2-3 of mine snap off for no reason and have heard others say the same.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chester_tree _farmah

If there was a jealous emoticon I would use it.  :-)

I am getting too old to be working on the riggin outside in the winter!
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

timberlinetree

Good luck! This garage will be sweet to have 8)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Woodhauler

Got a couple more loads of brush to haul to my buddy that has a big chiper, and 2-3 more cord of FW for me. Gravel guy should start next week. Got to get the best gravel guy and best deal for me!

Woodhauler

Never been so pumped about going in debt!!! Long time coming!!

xalexjx

once you work on something in a garage you will wonder how you ever got by without one
Logging and Processed Firewood

BargeMonkey

Pole building ? We get the PA farm paper and its hands down the cheapest we have found. Just put up a new 40x100, 10 days start to finish.

Woodhauler

Quote from: BargeMonkey on May 03, 2014, 08:09:33 PM
Pole building ? We get the PA farm paper and its hands down the cheapest we have found. Just put up a new 40x100, 10 days start to finish.
Stick built, Metal sides roof and inside.

Woodhauler

All the stuff is cleared, gravel is next!

Woodhauler

Gravel is going in today, Guy doing it has a compacter and everything. Going to use my gravel on the first foot or so then surface with screened stuff on top.

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Woodhauler

GuyInHuntsville

GuyInHuntsville

Quote from: Woodhauler on May 03, 2014, 08:01:46 PM
Never been so pumped about going in debt!!! Long time coming!!

Same here.  smiley_beertoast Wife and I just bought some land and we're almost ready to gravel the driveway.

Quote from: Woodhauler on May 07, 2014, 06:56:39 AM
Gravel is going in today, Guy doing it has a compacter and everything. Going to use my gravel on the first foot or so then surface with screened stuff on top.

Can you elaborate on this? Is it crushed rock you're putting down and do you just put the gravel/rock on bare dirt or base material and compact it in? I'm really new to being a land owner and don't know this kind of stuff but learning a lot on this site.

Thanks, Guy

chester_tree _farmah

Yes there are different types of gravel and stone. They are usually classified by the size of screen used to clean them -aka the size of the largest particle/rock. There is also Pit run which isn't screened at all. There are some very fine so called finish gravels too. The options are many in some areas sometimes.

How you do the groundwork and how much effort and money you put into it depends on the types of soils you are building on and the climate you are building in. To do it right you want to avoid movement. Concrete is very strong but it is rigid and does not like movement or flex. Too much movement can lead to excessive cracking and failure. Any new gravel or soil brought in should also be compacted to avoid setting/movement after the concrete is poured. Footers should be placed on undisturbed soil at eh bottom of the hole or they too should have the soil under them compacted.

Drainage under and around concrete is also important to avoid settling and heaving - heaving due to frost. You want to keep the soil under and around your concrete work as dry as possible if it can freeze at any depth.

So - if you are building on heavy wet clay in the north - you would normally be looking at more work and money - to do it right. If you are building down south and on well drained sandy gravel you may be able to get away with minimal prep work to your building foot area.

CTF

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

GuyInHuntsville

Thanks CTF. I'll get with a local gravel company and see what most people are using. From the looks of other people's driveways out in the area they use crushed white rock (limestone I guess). Some I've seen are asphalt and some just bare dirt (I kinda like bare dirt, cheap ;D). I know we won't be able to afford concrete. Our driveway will end up being about 500' or more. The culvert/driveway section (expensive) connecting to the highway was completed Thursday but I haven't had a chance to go out there to see it...Always working...I might be able to get out there today and I'll take some photos to post. For that section I had to hire a state approved contractor to install everything since the driveway is connecting to a state highway.

Hopefully Woodhauler hasn't abandoned us...Probably busy with everything...Still would like to see some photos. ;D

thecfarm

I got just about a 500 foot driveway. That geofabric was put down first,then bank run,just gravel as it comes out of the ground,than a finer grade of gravel. I had about a foot put down,than about 6 years ago I had another 6 inches put down. The 6 years ago stuff just came from up the road. He dumped it out of his truck by hooking up the chains to the tail gate. I was there to get him backed up at the right place and used the tractor to spread it out. Came out really nice. A crown in the driveway and all. If I did not know better,I think I knew what I was doing.I like to get things up in the air. It sure is not going to come up any in years to come.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GuyInHuntsville

Quote from: thecfarm on May 10, 2014, 12:15:00 PM
I got just about a 500 foot driveway. That geofabric was put down first,then bank run,just gravel as it comes out of the ground,than a finer grade of gravel. I had about a foot put down,than about 6 years ago I had another 6 inches put down. The 6 years ago stuff just came from up the road. He dumped it out of his truck by hooking up the chains to the tail gate. I was there to get him backed up at the right place and used the tractor to spread it out. Came out really nice. A crown in the driveway and all. If I did not know better,I think I knew what I was doing.I like to get things up in the air. It sure is not going to come up any in years to come.

Thanks thecfarm...
Looks like I'm gonna have to put in even more overtime at the shop for my driveway.  ;D

chester_tree _farmah

NP. Yes send pics. So wood hauler was talking about the ground work for his slab he is building his garage on. Gravel roads aren't so critical but u do want a good layer of well draining gravel on the top. Else u end up with mud and ruts. That pea stone or stone dust is nice but if u have to plow snow you can make a mess of it quick.

You do want to scrape off the top layer of soil if it is soft fluffy stuff. U want to try and get down to harder stuff underneath. Wet mucky areas should be addressed with larger stone first before applying fill. If u have low areas, where u need to build it up a lot, you can use good clean fill to save money and than a  good thick layer of gravel over the top.

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

GuyInHuntsville

Here's the front of our property:

About in the middle of the property at the road I made this clearing with my Husky brushcutter:

Hired a hydro-ax to mulch up all the stuff I cleared then my neighbor (70 years old and works harder than anyone I know) and I put in the gate...It's about 50' into the property from the road:

All the road signs have bullet holes in them out here by the way :) (our property is in Phelps):

Thank You Sponsors!