iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pneumatics vs. Hydraulics

Started by Ljohnsaw, May 01, 2014, 06:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

My mill build is designed around an electric motor to drive the band.  I've read a lot of neat add-ons with hydraulics (log turners, clamps, leveling, etc.).  I was wondering if there is any merit in using pneumatic rams.  It would be a whole lot easier to plumb (flexible, lightweight tubing).  I think, with the right linkage, a clamp would be equivalent to hydraulic since I don't see the need for "tons" of clamping pressure - how about a log turner - need too much power??

I could see that a pneumatic ram would want to overshoot when rolling a log where hydraulic would stop the minute you move the control lever to neutral.  Anyone tried air?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don_Papenburg

air works  It tends to move faster than oil .  You need larger dia cylinders to get the holding power because of the pressure diff. pneumatic cylinders tend to be higher priced .  Might be that they are used in factories more than in the public .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

ladylake

I'd sure go with hydraulics, I think air would be hard to control thing like the log stops, toe boards, chain turner plus you would need huge cylinders.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hackberry jake

Air would be more dangerous. If pressure built up and then something broke loose, it would throw whatever it was pushing on. Air is too springy.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bill Gaiche

Air can be good in lots of areas, but where you need to control things and for the shear power hydraulics is by far the best. Air compresses and can make for jerky cylinders without some type of regulator on both sides. bg

wetdog

Air works great. I once worked at a plywood facility and we used hundreds of cylinders throughout the plant. The biggest issue is the amount of air used. It will take a very large compressor or one very large volume tank.

stavebuyer

Air works great for low pressure applications, where hundreds of pounds of pressure can get the job done versus thousands of pounds for the slower hydraulics. Kickers, stops etc. work great with air cylinders. Another consideration is climate. Air can be a nightmare to keep operating in sub-freezing temperatures. Even with driers and anti-freeze, air lines can be a real chore to keep from freezing.

Ljohnsaw

Wow, thanks all for your comments. 

Yes, air is springy.  I'm thinking for raising and lowering the log stops it would work good,maybe even great.  For raising a toe board, maybe not so good but I could raise a log and slip some shims in way easier than cranking up a jack and then drop it back down.  Might even work as a log turner.  I like to experiment - you should see my aquaponics set up now, Mr. Goldberg would be proud! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

coastlogger

Good old Rube,an inspiration to us all.
clgr

justallan1

I think the biggest issue with using air is you have pre-set distances where everything is all or none. You can't just go half of that distance and stop unless you also install either electric or air powered stops, which is a whole new can of worms.

Allan

bandmiller2

Air would be fine for such things as kickers, air motors est. but it lacks power and control, movement is sudden and uncontrollable. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

slider

I watched a video of a big production mill running a while back a[Jackson],I think but it would flip a cant so fast it had to be air moving those cylinders.
al glenn

Ron Wenrich

I ran 2 Jackson mills.  They were hydraulic cylinders, and you can flip cants quickly when you have a good technique.

I also ran a couple of air mills, and their downturns were poor.  They lacked the power needed to flip the log.  I don't recall of any log turners that were air powered. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

backwoods sawyer

We ran three 200hp air compresors in the production mill. It was used thru out the plant for stops, board kickers, drop tables and pans, hold down rolls, positioning arms, the sorter was a big air user as air is fast. The only turner-drop out that used air to flip a cant was on the down slope following an unscrambler so the cant would already be at a 45* and a 4x30x10' cant would allmost stall it out and then it would throw the cant on down the chain as it built enough presure to flipped it. As far as handling and turning logs and heavy cants it was all hydraulic.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

That's a lot of air. :o I used to run the air compressors for snow making years ago. When everything was up and running we used 14,600 cfm@90 psi.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

whitepine2

You cannot compress liquid it it positive air can be compressed and heat can
change settings not so much with liquid. There could be a use for air but hydraulic will stay if running right air if you would like to lift something and if some movement would not effect the operation but why bother use liquidb and be done with it.   

hackberry jake

You have to be careful saying liquid doesn't compress. My brother is a mechanical engineer and we had this discussion once. Liquid does compress, just takes a lot more force than a gas.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Gary_C

For all practical purposes, liquids are considered incompressible.

But yes, in theory liquids are compressible, but it takes very high pressures and even then, not so much.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

hackberry jake

Quote from: Gary_C on May 02, 2014, 06:08:33 PM
For all practical purposes, liquids are considered incompressible.

But yes, in theory liquids are compressible, but it takes very high pressures and even then, not so much.
agreed

backwoods sawyer

I tested the theiry today while putting the truck motor back together. Liquids in the cylindar does not compress, must pull plugs to remove liquids  ::)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

jamesamd

I do not have a sawmill but I know pneumatics has no practical use for heavy clamping or precisely controled  positioning.
However it works great for blowing sawdust of of everything  ::)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

longtime lurker

Air works, particularly in a fixed mill. Our resaws and docking saws are all pneumatic and it's great - one of the overlooked points so far is that burst and/or leaking pipes and fittings are mess free.
But we use hydraulics on the log infeed and handling side: hydraulics have more power for a given installation size. It's not that air wouldn't work, it's that a compressor big enough to provide the necessary volumes is impractical. We run a 45 cfm with outsize receivers to have a large volume held on demand, no way is that enough to run turners as well, and no way would it be classed as portable.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!