iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Conveyor

Started by Mark M, June 29, 2004, 08:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

I'm thinkin' I would really like to have a conveyor for loading and moving firewood, problem is they cost about $5000.  :o

Has anyone ever build one and if so it this s reasonable thing to do? Anyone got some pictures?

Thanks
Mark

OneWithWood

If I may, let me add to the request.
I would really like a firewood processor and a conveyor, but like Mark says they are pricey.  So if anyone has built or has plans to build a processor with a conveyor please include them.

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Wenrich

I've seen guys use bale elevators.  A used one shouldn't be that pricey.  A lot depends on how hard you're going to use it.  You may want to make some adaptations.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Fla._Deadheader

I was thinkin of a grain elevator, like the farmers use for ear corn and such. They are Aluminum and have spaces between the drags on the chain.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Yep those elevators go for $5 - $150 around here (some need more work then others ;) ).
I think some people cut them down a little in length.

Bruce_A

A couple of pieces of 2 inch angle iron with a plywood  bottom makes a good tray for a conveyor,  add a idler at one end and a drive wheel at the other, have a belt made at a belt shop, about a $100.00 at a belt shop[10 inch wide]. Total if all new material is used should run less than $700.00.  Good luck.

Ed_K

I built mine from a hay elevator. 15' long, bolted 2x4 along inside edge of the upright. Then screwed 1/16 sheet metal from the track and over the 2x4. Tack welded to the frame close to the track. I didn't do any improvements to the chain.

This pict isn't to good if I can remember I'll take a better one tomorrow.
Ed K

Sawyerfortyish

When I bought my firewood processer I couldn't and wouldn't give them 6000$ for an elevator. So i used an old corn- hay elevator I bought at a farm auction for 50.00. It worked OK as long as I cut 16" wood anything longer got caught sideways in it. After about 2 yrs of 200 plus cords a year I got tired of fixing it. I found a company called american wood splitters that make heavy duty elevators for under 4000.00. The sides are 10" channel iron with the bottom being 1/4" plate . It's 28" wide and uses the same chain that manure spreaders use with heavy angle iron for paddels. It's powered by a honda with a small pump and hydrualic moter. (I ordered mine without the honda moter and power it off my processor) I will tell you from my experiance elevators work better than conveyors outside. Conveyors when snowed on or iced up from freezing rain will not go around until the belt melts off. Where as elevators with chain may freeze up but if you bang the paddles to free them no matter how much snow or ice is on them will go around. Depending on the amount of wood you do you can probably get away with using a hay-corn elevator.I would get a steel one tho. I dont think the aluminum will hold up to wood being thrown in it.

ADfields

Sawyerfortyish, great point about freezing up!   I have some belting out back I was saving for a conveyor that I think I will cut up for floor padding in my shop now. ;)   You may have saved this Arizona raised Alaskan a heep of trouble, thanks. ;D
Andy

Ed_K

Here's some new picts of my hay conveyor.

Its worked good for me so far, 16" to 22". Draw back, wished it was longer than 15'.
Ed K

Danny_S

My uncle was putting huge furnace wood in his basement window with a hay elevator, just to make it easier than carrying it and throwing it in, he had it in the window a few feet, and he threw on one particularly big "night stick", and it hit the window jam, and as you know about the little tines on the chain,....... you can see where this is going right.....   it shoved the elevator back out the window and upset the saw horses it was on, then the other end hit the woodpile and caught some wood underneath with the tines and then tried to shove it back in the window............  :D  :D lucky no-one was killed..... :D  he put the plug a little closer the next time.....
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Sawyerfortyish

ED- K I think you need a flash on your camera or take the picture when it's daylight ;D

Roxie

If you save your motor oil from oil changes, you can start your hay elevator and pour it right onto the chain and paddle.  It coats the entire elevator and keeps it from freezing up no matter how cold it gets.  It's a messy job...wear your old clothes!  
Say when

Sawyerfortyish

Welcome to the forum Roxie.

Roxie

Thank you for the welcome Sawyerfortyish!  And Ed, that's a nice looking conversion of a hay elevator.....I think 15' is long enough.  What IS it with you guys and always wishing it was longer?   :D
Say when

Ed_K

Well you know how it goes  ;). Welcome to the F.F. Roxie.
 I had the flash working plus I put the picts in the photo lab and lightened some more. Day light would be a plus  ;D.
Ed K

Mark M

Ed

If you get a chance could you take a few more pictures of you conveyor? I would especially like to see the ends. It looks like you have just one chain, it that correct?

Thanks

Sackett

Hey Mark,
   I use an old ear corn conveyor. Runs a little fast,and I needto put the drive at the top so it pulls instead of pushes,but the price was right

Ed_K

Here's some picts I took this morning, Mark.

Hope this helps, in total it cost me $850.
Ed K

Frank_Pender

Mark, what I use is a potato/onion elevator that runs for about 4' at 45 degrees then you can elevate the next 12/14' from a flat position to a height of 14' off the ground.  It is made up of a series of round bar stock that allows all of the real small peices of wood, bark or moss to fall through and not into your container or pile.  I saw mine in the middle of an old onion field, did a cookie in the middel of the two lane highway and found the owner.    For $150 I was able to replace the wife, who I allowed to throw the wood into the truck and then stack it right off the splitter.    :D  I ran the thing with a 1/3 hp electic motor powered with a small Honda generator when I was out in the brush.  Around the mill area I simple use an extension cord.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!