iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

conterfeit Stihls

Started by jargo432, May 01, 2014, 02:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

I read in USA Today that in the last 6 years 79,000 conterfeit Stihls have been collected and destroyed in Europe. 

WOW

The article warns about buying online.  I think I'll get mine from a dealer.
Jack of all trades.

brettl

I saw a 362 recently on OK craigslist. Little to light colored, no labels or stickers, WAY underpriced for a like new unit. I posted a warning right under it about counterfeit Stihls without mentioning that ad directly. The description I gave was enough that anybody looking at it couldn't fail to recognize which ad it referred to. I posted about it and encouraged everyone to watch for this and post similar warning to keep the uninformed from being cheated.

It's in the Midwest USA everyone, so they could be in your town!!! >:(  BUYER BEWARE

Ianab

Stihl wont let dealers sell saws online, so any time you see a new one advertised for sale there, it's suspicious.  Counterfeit, stolen, or maybe sold from a dealers back door. But whatever the case is, good luck getting Stihl to warranty it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HolmenTree

Lot's of these counterfeit Stihls in Mexico. This is a restaurant owner fueling up his cook stove.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

:o Wow!
This model of (knock off of a Zenoah) I have seen with numerous names and colors. This is the first time I am seeing it in Stihl colors trying to impersonate a 362!

huxpat

Got my money back at least from the guy selling Stihl and Husky knockoffs out of Acapulco. Stupid rookie exercise on my part, but at least am not out $330.

Now he changed his ad to show the cheap copies he's selling, though I think one of the photos he had before may have been of a real Husqvarna.

charleswalton

Anyone that knows saws a little bit can easily see these are counterfeits but to an untrained eye they might be convincing,well,a real,real,UNTRAINED EYE!

huxpat

Quote from: charleswalton on May 06, 2014, 09:38:13 PM
Anyone that knows saws a little bit can easily see these are counterfeits but to an untrained eye they might be convincing,well,a real,real,UNTRAINED EYE!

I just bothered at looking what a real MS360 looks like. You're right, not even in the ballpark. The Husky copy is maybe half the power of a 372XP. The 372XP he showed in a previous ad seemed more convincing but maybe I was sold by the Oregon bar and chain and wasn't looking at the saw enough. But I think he might have pilfered a pic of a genuine 372XP with an Oregon bar that sucked me into buying the miserable copy he sent in its place. And I'll freely admit I wouldn't even say I know saws a little bit, I've just used whatever was handy over the years, and just getting to know good saws now. I did finally have the good sense about five years ago to get my Dad a second hand Husky for tree removal work after hurricanes in Florida, because I got sick of endlessly repairing the hopeless little Homelites and Poulans they always had around.

Maine logger88

Those saws look about the same quality as the plastic chainsaw I got for Christmas when I was 5 lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

SawTroll

Quote from: joe_indi on May 03, 2014, 07:35:05 AM
:o Wow!
This model of (knock off of a Zenoah) I have seen with numerous names and colors. This is the first time I am seeing it in Stihl colors trying to impersonate a 362!

I understand you can buy them by the pallet in any color you want, andput any labels you want of them - and it is very common to do that!

Those are of course easy to spot if you know just a little, but the fakes that actually are copies of some Stihl or Husky models are a bigger challenge to spot (but far from impossible).
Information collector.

Ianab

Like you  say there are copes that are almost exact replicas, reverse engineered from an original Stihl. But those can seized by customs along with the fake Rolexs and handbags. A generic orange chainsaw is legit to import, and they put a Stihl sticker on it locally..

Of course even the "replica" isn't the same. It's different plastics, alloys and bearings etc, so things wear or break quickly.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SawTroll

Quote from: Ianab on May 07, 2014, 04:43:45 PM
Like you  say there are copes that are almost exact replicas, reverse engineered from an original Stihl. But those can seized by customs along with the fake Rolexs and handbags. A generic orange chainsaw is legit to import, and they put a Stihl sticker on it locally..

Of course even the "replica" isn't the same. It's different plastics, alloys and bearings etc, so things wear or break quickly.

Yes, the quality of the Chinese copies are much lower than the originals.

Scam adds trying to sell both kinds of fakes are much more common in Europe than they are in the US, for a couple of reasons.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!