iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to load a huge sycamore log

Started by coppolajc10, April 30, 2014, 09:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coppolajc10

40+ inches at the base ... I'm thinking of cutting the butt log at 8-10 foot and then cutting it in half the long way, and loading the halves onto my 5-ton equipment trailer with another 8-10 foot log off the top.  I would be loading with tractor, lifting capacity 3000 lbs.  Any advice or other ideas would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Magicman

You have not updated your profile with your TimberKing information, but I am assuming that you will saw the Sycamore on it. 

Will the TK handle a 20"X40" log half or will you have to quarter it before sawing?  What lumber dimensions are you needing?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ohio_Bill

If the log is 10 ft and 40 in.  it is about 800 bf   .  So  ½ of that  400 bf     which will weigh less than 1800 lb.   Looks like you should be good to go .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

coppolajc10

MM-not sure how you remembered that ???, but thanks!  yes it will be cut on the B20 ... not sure on the 40" height, will have to measure and maybe quarter it with chainsaw first, either way it's going to be quartered in the end.  Not sure on the dimensions yet either, I don't need any ... wanted to sell it, any advice?  I know a guy locally who drools when you start talking about sycamore, so I was going to check with him first to see if he wanted anything particular ... probably 4/4 or 5/4 I would guess.

Ohio_Bill - I would've guessed that log be closer to 5000 lbs, thanks for the input!

backwoods sawyer

when splitting logs make another cut to give it a flat edge to stand up on. If it will be to tall make another cut with the chainsaw long the top edge. The blade need not clear the log just the throat, but give your self enough room to bump the sawhead up a 1/4 or so for the return of the sawhead.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: coppolajc10 on April 30, 2014, 09:50:18 PM
MM-not sure how you remembered that ???, but thanks!  yes it will be cut on the B20 ... not sure on the 40" height, will have to measure and maybe quarter it with chainsaw first, either way it's going to be quartered in the end.  Not sure on the dimensions yet either, I don't need any ... wanted to sell it, any advice?  I know a guy locally who drools when you start talking about sycamore, so I was going to check with him first to see if he wanted anything particular ... probably 4/4 or 5/4 I would guess.

Ohio_Bill - I would've guessed that log be closer to 5000 lbs, thanks for the input!

Down on the left hand side is a tool box icon . You can get log weight and volume from it . several neat tools .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

coppolajc10

backwoods-you just taught me a few things, and I really appreciate that ;D  Thanks!

Ohio_Bill-thank you again.

iwiegian

Another question along those lines.  46 inch blade on my Belsaw and a 36 inch walnut log.  Would you cut it in half or off to one side enough to get a flat side and able to cut thru to make a cant. Hope I am explaining this ok and also not high-jacking the thread.  Thanks,  Dave

Tom the Sawyer

coppolajc10,

40" above the bed is the limit of the B-20 for clearance.  Maximum blade height is 27.5" so that first slab will be just over 12" high - set it off to the side to mill later.  It will be a bear to turn it 180° to get the flat face on the bed.  Keep in mind that when you first stand it up it will be more than twice as high as the stops and even higher than the dog can reach, you'll need to keep the turner arm up to help hold it.  I've done them this big and the first few cuts are really touchy.  The turner arm will require a lot of finesse and you'll need at least one helper with a cant hook keeping things going the right way.

Or, and highly recommended, if you have the ability to split it lengthwise then it should be a piece of cake to split each half again.  It will be so much easier to handle, faster and much safer.  In the last one I did the goal was max width 8/4 walnut planks so I didn't have much choice.  We also had a skid steer with forks to get us over the humps.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

backwoods sawyer

Like Tom says it is a big chunk of wood to work with and a helper with a piece of equipment would not be a bad idea. One advantage of milling half a log is you drop down and take chucks as deep as the throat with out having to much of an issue with the guides hanging up so in some cases you can chunk it up with out having to move it once in position giving you good options for quarter sawing as well.

And note that both of us position the cut side to the dogs.

100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Qweaver

That's why I bought a swinger. You sure lose a lot of wide lumber cutting the log in half plus it's a lot of work.  But it looks like you have it well in hand.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

dboyt

I routinely work with logs that size.  My "heavy lifter" is an 8N ford, but I've never been beaten by a log.  I have a pair of 10' long 6" x 6" ramps and parbuckle them up the side of the trailer with a chain saw powered winch, though a 12 V elec would also do the job.  With a 30° angle on the ramps and the 2:1 advantage, a 3,000 pound log is putting less than 500 pounds of force on the winch line.  Lacking hydraulics, I use the same technique to load logs onto the mill.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

BBTom

Your local guy is probably wanting quarter sawn sycamore.  Check with him, you may want to go ahead and cut that log into quarters with the chainsaw first. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

DMcCoy

My short list when I get one of these.
Is there any outside indication of highly figured wood and how do I get it to be in the useful area of a board.
After that I have used 3 different techniques all with a chainsaw.
Halves or quatering
cutting it down on 3 sides
The worst is gun barreling - PITA but gets it reduced in size and takes off the sap wood

slider

You need to come down to customsawyers toward the end of may to their yearly sycamore sawing.Jake and DWH can show you how to make those ray flecks jump up and slap you.
al glenn

coppolajc10

thanks everyone for the info ... here's a few pictures. 

Quote from: DMcCoy on May 01, 2014, 08:14:32 AM
Is there any outside indication of highly figured wood and how do I get it to be in the useful area of a board.

DMcCoy (or others), where's the best place to cut this one for what you're talking about?  Thanks again all!!  Learning many things with this post!

Magicman

I do not know how much of a clear span you have between limbs/knots, but I'm afraid that most of that lumber is gonna have a mind of it's own.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coppolajc10

You may be right MM ... but it will be a learning experience for me, and that alone will be worth the time.  Even better, if I can get a few nice quartersawn planks out of it for my Dad's woodworking habit (and maybe a few others to sell and cover my costs), I'll be more than happy  8) ... thanks again, Jake.

Magicman

There will be much "project" wood there.  At least your Dad will be happy.   ;D

customsawyer

When I cut those big logs in half I rarely stand them up with the flat side against the side supports. I like to put the flat side on the clamp side of the mill. With the chain turner I can take a few boards off then turn the log backwards a little and take a few more. This lets me slowly get some of the weight off of the log and makes it less dangerous to handle. When you are trying to stand the flat side you have so much weight above your clamp and side supports that it don't take much for it to get away from you. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DMcCoy

I'm in agreement with Majicman on what that tree will do or yield.
First - sycamore is a tree I know nothing about. 
Someone mentioned rays(like oak) so quarter-sawing would give you that and sawing into quarters may not be the best move.  I would leave that discussion to someone more knowable about how to proceed it is not something I have done alot of.
I'll call it the butt log- the first segment. That big dead knot on the top just up from the butt - that is a problem, not just the knot but the wood around it, while it may be figured so to speak it is almost unworkable and unusable from a wood workers point of view.  It looks like you have some buried knots on either side that might yield something interesting.  It would be good to point out that I happen to like knots others do not.  How you cut this and what kind of boards you like is really a matter of personal preference there is no right or wrong way, there is more and less dangerous, that is a very big tree to beef around, so be careful.
If it were mine.  I would cut the butt log. Then two options,  take 2 heavy chainsaw cuts off the top and bottom- enough to get it into your mill to slab, heavy knot facing sideways. Or- I would cut it vertically down the middle as it sits, and if I wanted a flat edge on those two halves I would cut that flat off the heavy knot side.

After that who knows, my experience cutting trees with that much sweep has not been good.  You might find that you release built up tension, affecting the flatness of finished product.

Hope that helps,

coppolajc10

Thanks again customsawyer, appreciate the info.  MM and DMcCoy - With the rain today, our plans to get this log failed ... don't know if we'll have a day to get there, owner wants it gone and there's a guy who wants to make firewood out of it (why? I've no idea).  Anyway, you guys have discouraged me enough to probably not make the effort to get there before it's firewood, and I'm not trying to say you guys ruined anything ... I don't know half what you guys know, so my ears aren't deaf  ;D.  Well, at the very least I learned a few things and maybe people reading did too ... thanks again everyone for the advice!!

backwoods sawyer

Custom sawyer one of the main reasons for putting the flat side to the dogs and the curved side to the curve of the turner is that it will rotate right up into position and stay there. To repostion reverse rotate (cut line is above the stops).
With the flat side to the turner and the round side to the dogs I have had then want slide around and wobble to the point one almost went over the back side. Just less control of the half while positioning unless loading with another piece of equipment and just clamping in position.

If you can get with the firewood cutter and mark off the log you want and let him get started if all goes well you would have a log cut free from the tree when you are ready for it.

LeeB

Sycamore can be some pretty finicky stuff to cut and can have a mind of it's own. I does make real pretty wood when quarter sawn. Personnaly, I would let the firewood guy have that one and wait for a log with a few less knots/limbs on it. The more knots it has the more it will misbehave when it dries.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!