iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Synthetic Oils and Filters

Started by Corley5, April 30, 2014, 08:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I had an SFI class a while back and the topic was maintenance.  The presenter was big on synthetic oils.  I've never ran any in anything.  The extended oil change intervals sound real good.  He said that to get the best out of the oils spun glass filters are needed rather than organic/paper filters.  Some of these filters will make the oil cleaner than it comes out of the jug he said  :-\ ??? :)  That sounds great but is the extra cost of the oils and filters worth it  ???  I'm thinking about switching to them for my engines.  I don't think it would be cost effective for hydraulic systems that need to be replenished regularly because of busted hoses etc but for engines in good shape  ???  I was told that switching to synthetics in an older engine can sometimes lead to leaks and oil consumption ???  Thoughts/ opinions/ experiences  ???  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Reddog

That sounds like a Amsoil ad for the filters.

Run mobil delvac full syn and chevron Delo full syn in about any motor big or small I have.
Paper filters work fine you just need to change them a few times through the life of the oil.

Gary_C

I now have full synthetic engine oils in all my vehicles. The first reason is much better cold starting in the winter. The 5W-40 gives much improved cold starts and you still have very good protection in summer temperatures. So it's a very good all around engine oil. Plus you can extend your oil change intervals.

I've never heard of the filter sales pitch, so I don't know if it's important. I am using the standard filters and probably will not change. That argument sounds like a means to keep up the sales dollars for filters with extended oil changes. I suppose it could help some to filter out a little of the soot that makes the diesel oil so black, but the heavy load of detergents in diesel oils are supposed to keep all that soot from settling out anyway. With the newer engines that must meet particulate emission regulations, there should not be as much soot in the oil anyway.

I did have some problems with a partial synthetic diesel oil leaking out on my F-350 but I had some needed work done to stop the leaks and now it's not a problem. At the price of those synthetic oils, you do not want to put it in leakers.

I highly recommend full synthetic engine oils, especially in forestry equipment that has to start in cold weather.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

julio

we run full synthetic oil and napa gold filter and we run oil test on ever 3rd oil change and we are fine
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

WmFritz

I've been using synthetic oil in all my vehicles for 20 yrs.  Many of them have gone well past 200,000 miles before I sold them and none had ANY increased oil consumption. I do use the better filters. I don't mind spending a the couple extra bucks to make sure the motors getting the best benefit of the oil. I think i remember reading that with the extended oil life, paper filters will break down before the oil needs changing. I use synthetics in my motorcycles and sleds too. Oh, and lawnmower.  :D

The advise to not use synthetics in older engines is sound. Synthetic oil is highly detergent. Using it in a sludged up motor would loosen up crud that may be helping the seals and cause them to start leaking.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Gary_C

Quote from: WmFritz on April 30, 2014, 10:53:47 PM
The advise to not use synthetics in older engines is sound. Synthetic oil is highly detergent. Using it in a sludged up motor would loosen up crud that may be helping the seals and cause them to start leaking.

I've not heard that advice. Synthetic oils have no more detergent than regular oils.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

snowstorm

this may be a little off track but. fuel and oil filters for ford diesel pickups are made by racor owned by parker. napa wants way more money for there filters than the ford dealer. and the fuel injection shop wants quite a bit less than the ford dealer. racors were less than half the price of napa and they are oem spec. napa not always the best deal

Woodboogah

Good to know snowstorm!  I buy my filters from napa and always have.  Where do you get the racor filters?
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

snowstorm

diesel fuel systems in bangor. one of the big truck mags i get just had a story about ford and racor coming out with a new oil filter for the 6.0. the napa oil filters dont fit the ford caps on the 6.0. look them over they are made different

Thank You Sponsors!