iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Camp for my Nephew

Started by Planman1954, April 30, 2014, 07:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

I thought it might be fun to document the building of a camp for my nephew, Heath. I volunteered to cut the framing lumber for the camp, which is actually big enough to be a nice two bedroom, one bath home. It will be 40' wide x 30' deep, with an 8' front porch and a small rear porch. It will have a metal roof, and hardiplank siding. We considered cutting lap siding for the building, but Heath ran across a good deal on some hardiboard.
   Anyway, for the last 2 months, Heath and I have been cutting pine logs for the framing. Here's a photo of a few of them:

Here's a look at some 2x6's and 2x4's loaded into my trailer:

This is some of the lumber air drying...waiting it's turn in the solar dry kiln:

We've gotten all the logs given to us by different folks, and even had one from a recent storm that fell across our road. Ya'll should have seen us dragging it over here behind his pickup! We got into a routine by first sawing the logs to the lumber sizes that we needed and stacking them in my trailer. They were then hauled and stacked either directly into my solar dry kiln, or air dried before loading into the kiln while the previous load was drying. Here's a look at the dehumidifier doing it's thing inside my kiln:

A couple of weeks back, I took my 1943 Ford 9n tractor to the site (about a half mile from my house) and built a pad for the concrete forms to be set around. This saved a lot of manual shoveling. Here's a look at the site: 

The form will be set around the pad. I tried to get it about 6" below the finished slab height. This way, as the crew digs the footings around the perimeter and through the center of the slab, the fill should be 4" below the form top for a 4" thick slab. After the form was set, Heath and I roughed in the plumbing drains and ran a 2" stubout in an exterior wall where the water line will enter in an exterior wall. (Sorry I didn't take photos of the plumbing rough in...it was too doggone hot last Saturday and I didn't think to do it!) We're going to use PEX for all the water lines above the slab. My sister, Heath's mom, came over last Saturday, and was a BIG help to us with miscellaneous tasks all day!
We had a crew set the form with 2x12's and 2x6's that we had cut on my Norwood, and used the worst 2x4's we had culled from the drying stacks for stob material. I precut all the stobs and kicker boards for the crew before they arrived. The crew returned yesterday to dig out the footings and place the wire into the slab area. Here's a look at them digging the footings and placing in wire prior to pouring the concrete slab:

Today, the slab was poured.  Here's a look at the ready-mix trucks pouring concrete.

And here's a look at the finished slab (That's my sister, Heath's mom who helped with the plumbing, taking a photo):

We're ready to do some framing! Friday, Heath is coming over to begin hauling the 2x4's to the site. I precut all the wall studs to length so that the crew will build the camp with standard lumber sizes. I'll try to document progress as we go along.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

clww

Great thread that I look forward to following. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

jargo432

Very Nice.  Tell us about milling it.  I've always wanted to mill my own.
Jack of all trades.

thecfarm

Nice ground!! I did that here I would have a hole in the ground with a pile of rocks around the hole.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I love to finish projects.  This will be interesting.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

What a Great Uncle.  smiley_clapping
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Bill Gaiche

Nice project. He will be proud and so will you. bg

Chuck White

Nice project happening there.

I especially like it when the women get involved and take an interest!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

This will be a good build to watch, lots of PICS 8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Planman1954

OK...so... last Friday was MOVING day. From my garage to Heath's job site that is. As the lumber was pulled from the kiln, we set it in my garage for a temporary storage area:

Then Friday it took FOUR large trailer loads to move it all. After all, it WAS 2 months of off and on spare time sawing. Here's a photo of Heath unloading studs at the site:

I went by to check on the site this afternoon and snapped a photo of all the framing lumber ready to go:

In the foreground under the tarp are about 300 studs cut to 104 5/8". Heath bought enough 2x4 treated lumber for the toe plates (They are just to the right of the tarp.) On the left of the treated toe plates are the straightest long 2x4's we had for the wall top plates. In the right foreground are a lot of random 1x4's that will be stripping of the ceilings under the sheetrock. The middle stacks are 2x6s for ceiling joists and rafters, and in the rear is a trailer full of 18' long 2x10s for ceiling joists and a lot of 2x4s for bracing and stripping for the top of the roof (30" oc for a metal roof.)
The framing crew will be there tomorrow! The fellow said it will be the first structure he has done with all rough lumber. We may be blazing new territory around these parts for a professional crew using rough sawn lumber...and you know what?  It FEELS GOOD!  8) 

Oh, and BTW...we bought them cloth gloves. Gloves are hard for a carpenter to work with, but the cloth ones do the trick by avoiding splinters, and still allowing for a good feel to the material.

Planman1954

The crew got started after lunch and quit at 4 pm. They got up the front and rear walls:

They'll start at 7 am in the morning...makin' progress! :)

Planman1954

It's been a little hectic for me overseeing the job site for Heath. The crew began cutting my porch rafters for use on the main gable. I had cut 10' stock for the long rafters which would be scabbed together over an attic knee wall (the long rafters going up in the photo below.). My 13' 2x6s were for over the front shed roof porch, and they were using them for the main gable...uh oh! I caught it after they had cut off about 6 of them when I arrived yesterday morning. They realized the error after I showed them (again) what lumber was for what. We had to order some new 2x6s (bummer) from the lumber company for joists. I also had underestimated how many we needed...so my bad! Anyway, the crew IS doing a fast and good job. Here's a progress picture from this morning:

Planman1954

The last photo is a closeup of the cornice. We're using a 1x8 fascia board with a 1x4 upper trim board at the top. A 3/4" x 12" wide board will be nailed on the underside for a soffit. I made 2 gable end louvers this morning. The next step is to apply 2x4s @ 30" oc on the top of the rafters for the metal roof, which will have some sort of insulating membrane under it. I'll take photos when that happens! Later....

Oh...and did I say that I LOVE my Norwood Lumbermate??  8)

21incher

Thanks for sharing this project with us. Did you have to have the lumber graded to meet building codes?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Planman1954

No, the lumber is not graded. This is permitted as a camp, and no grade stamp is required.

barbender

That's looking really good! I'm glad that I live in a county that doesn't require us to use graded lumber.
Too many irons in the fire

ozarkgem

going to be a nice camp. Its bigger than my house. Is this a deer camp or just a getaway? Keep the pics coming.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Planman1954

This is a deer camp. Deer season around here is a BIG deal! I've grown up in a family of deer hunters. But Heath's camp will probably not only be used by family in deer season, but year round as a fun place to gather and have get-togethers.

Planman1954

Took a photo this morning. The crew is installing 2x4s @ 30" oc on the roof to support the metal roofing. The fellow that will install it came by this am and measured for the metal to be cut. The fascia boards are completed. Here's the photo:

Planman1954

By noon it looked like this:

The framing crew had cleaned up and left! We're ready for the metal roof folks to show up now....possibly Saturday. It's supposed to come a flood tonight and tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.

Oh, and BTW...for those of you paying attention and taking notes, remember the 6"x6" Red Cedar columns I showed a few weeks ago? I can hardly wait to see those babies holding up the front porch! 8)

DeerMeadowFarm

Looking great! That's a pretty big "camp"!

Ljohnsaw

Wow, that is really neat, and a BIG camp cabin!  So, what did the framing crew have to say about the rough lumber?  When you say rough, do you mean full dimension as in 2" x 4" not 1-¾" x 3-½"?  If so, did you have issues with the store-bought rafters?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Planman1954

There were no complaints about the rough lumber. I cut the dimensions to match conventional lumber sizes, so there were no problems matching spots where we had to fill in with the lumber company. My studs ended up (I think) roughly 3 3/8" x 1 7/16". The norwood did a great job with consistancy (cause I kept using sharp blades along with lots of dawn soap in my water lube.)

Planman1954

Last week, a crew put on the metal roof. They used a roll of 1/4" foam laid over the 2x4 roof stripping (@ 30" oc) and temporarily stapled it into place. Then they screwed down the roofing panels over it. This provided a vapor barrier under the metal:

We're making progress! Heath is currently nailing on siding this week. I'll show more pics as we get things done.

beenthere

QuoteThey used a roll of 1/4" foam laid over the 2x4 roof stripping (@ 30" oc) and temporarily stapled it into place. Then they screwed down the roofing panels over it. This provided a vapor barrier under the metal:

Interested in the 1/4" foam that is a vapor barrier. Seems being foam and vapor barrier isn't a fit.  A resource available that you would post?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!