iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tire chains on all 4s

Started by CuddleBugFirewood, April 30, 2014, 01:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CuddleBugFirewood

I just bought a all new tires and 2 sets of tight ring mud and snow chains for my 548D skidder.  I was going to put all 4 chains on the tires, but some people have said I will break axles if I put them on the back.   Is that if you just get abusive with your equipment, or run it with the differantial locked?  Not sure why putting the chains on the back would make any difference.

Any thoughts on this?  I spent lots of money for this and don't want to tear anything up.  Maybe I should have only bought one set up chains??

Thanks!

247ktmmx

we always run 4 chains we got mud rocks ledge and steep ground just run your skidder like they should be run

loggah

Most everyone i know runs chains on all 4 wheels,if you just put chains on one axle you create problems, you basically making one set of wheels larger then the other,putting strain on the drivetrain all the time!! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Woodboogah

Run em on all 4.  An old timer once told me the chains are cheaper then the tires.  Better to wear out chains then tires.   
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

barbender

I think if you are someone that has to always has to pull the maximum sized hitch around tight corners and the like, you will tear stuff up. However, if you run it sensibly I think it's easier on the machine, you don't have to be rammy  to get up hills or through low traction areas. Unless there is something peculiar to those machines I'd say go for it.
Too many irons in the fire

Brleclaire

Run them on all 4 the main thing to remember is if you have the machine cranked all the way to one side in a tight turn with the diff locked in hard pull is when your putting the most strain on your axles. That would be the most chance of breaking one but other than that run it sensible and you have any trouble.

BargeMonkey

All 4, all year round. Run the ice on the rear, ring on the front. Allows you to claw, and not slide so much. Take the backs off in the summer if you have to. Chains will save the tires, run your worse tires on front with chains, and newer tires on back.

cutter88

U will never brake a John Deere axle cause of chains we run all for year round and like others said ice chains on back and rings on front is ideal we run 7/8 ring chains on all 4
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

loggah

I ran  double diamond stud chains on all 4, more expensive then ring chains o front ,but run a lot smoother,i ran 7/8 pednos on my franklin grapple.

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

snowstorm

540 has a lockable rear diff so its fine. the 440 is locked all the time that can break things with chains on back

coxy

what is the pedal for on the 440 on the left side  ???  the one I had you could lock it in and out

Maine logger88

I run chains on all 4 on both my skidders year round I think its easier on it than spinning all the time trying to get around in rough going
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lynde37avery

i run 2 ice chains on back of my machine all year. no issues. i run one on the front in the winter for a couple months. no issues. small hitches i go easy when turning. i really really baby my skidder. i could pull more than i do but i like things to last.
Detroit WHAT?

snowstorm

Quote from: coxy on April 30, 2014, 08:34:03 PM
what is the pedal for on the 440 on the left side  ???  the one I had you could lock it in and out
it locks the front only

BargeMonkey

My 440D has a diff lock pedal, so does our employees 440C. We run chains year round. We only put them on the forwarder when it gets real icy, just for steering on the fronts. I just had great luck buying chains from "tire chains required" in ME. Got a deal on another short tightener, the newer ones with the short handles are so nice.

snowstorm

your tj will have a detriot locker. there are vids on you tube that show how they work. they stay locked until one wheel turns faster than the other. turning a corner. 440 jd is always locked in the rear

BargeMonkey

Quote from: snowstorm on April 30, 2014, 08:44:56 PM
your tj will have a detriot locker. there are vids on you tube that show how they work. they stay locked until one wheel turns faster than the other. turning a corner. 440 jd is always locked in the rear
Yup. If I have to use the diff lock, im already in over my head most of the time. Only time ive ever seen an axle broken do to tire chains, is when someone doesnt hang the chokers back up and catches one on the chain in 6th gear coming across the field. Snapped the axle right off...  8)

coxy

Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 30, 2014, 09:04:53 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on April 30, 2014, 08:44:56 PM
Yup. If I have to use the diff lock, im already in over my head most of the time. Only time ive ever seen an axle broken do to tire chains, is when someone doesnt hang the chokers back up and catches one on the chain in 6th gear coming across the field. Snapped the axle right off...  8)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D broke axle and blew a tire at the same time

coxy

Quote from: snowstorm on April 30, 2014, 08:40:58 PM
it locks the front only
sorry snowstorm miss read the post thought I read the front was locked all the time  again sorry ;D

CuddleBugFirewood

Thanks for all the replies. I take good care of my equipment and I am an owner/operator. 

It has been an expensive year.  I had the moter completely rebuilt in feb, and now all new tires and chains.  I Was thinking about running the chains year round to help protect the tires.  Skidder was paid for, but now I will have some payments for a little while. 

But i am hoping i should be set for a while now!

Brleclaire

My grandfather always said you have to spend money to make money. This is the quote you would usually here when he had to buy something for his logging operation.

tj240

tire chains on all four protects tires inproves gription and the machine doesnt have to work as hard
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

BargeMonkey

I got 5k hours out of my last set of economy rings, and 6k out of the single diamond ice on my 440D. Guys cry about the price of chain but I wont go without it. Spinning tires and fighting leads to broken axles and stuck machines.

Dave Shepard

On my first adventure with the TJ this winter I got into a couple of feet of snow with no chains. It started hopping and chewing and I decided that felt like it was going to get expensive quickly. :D A full set of premium rings from TCR was under $3k shipped. That sounds like a bargain to me.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lmo506

So I'm reading this as not to put chains on back of 440 b because their locked 24/7 . Skidder is early 70's and never had broke axle or chains on back
I have never pretended to be anything I'm not, except sober, I've pretended to be sober a few times

snowstorm

yup they are locked 24/7. if you put chains on the rear treat it gently

snowstorm

that locks the front axle

tj240

all 4 never broken an axle and have pulled some stupid hitches with a 440, just dont spin like crazy with a 440 if you can pull it winch it
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

David-L

had a 440b for years with diamonds on all 4 and went easy on corners, ran light and went often. never had any trouble with the axles or the inboard planetarys.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

ehp

never had a problem with either JD or Clark running 4 chains , the older 225/230 TJ  running 4 chains and a driver not watching what he is doing I found would screw the transfer case up more than breaking axles

HiTech

I run chains on all 4 and they are locked all the time. When turning a tight corner I may drop the hitch to take pressure off one side of the drive line then winch it back up when through the corner. I know most probably don't like the idea of dropping and winching back up but it can save repairs.

stoneeaglefarm

Been running John deere for 30 years, I actually had a bad leak on dif lock pedal last year, I disconnected it and have never redone it, Some one said you usually only use it when your in to deep, Chained up all four tires and some common sense and you should never use the dif lock, If ya do just do not turn hard with a hitch on, Never blown a John Deere rear end , But have friends that have because they forgot to kick off the dif lock. Good luck.

lumberjack48

This what i liked on the C5-D and my S8 IH they had the non- spin diff, with chains on all 4 you got a even pull, no walking side ways, on less you were over loaded. In all my yrs i never had any issues when running chains on all 4, easier on the machine, easier on operator, easier on fuel and easier on tires.

I new a guy that had a little gas Tj, he welded the spider gears on both ends. It was absolutely worthless, it was a one way machine, straight ahead.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

John Mc

Quote from: lumberjack48 on June 13, 2014, 02:18:33 PM
I new a guy that had a little gas Tj, he welded the spider gears on both ends. It was absolutely worthless, it was a one way machine, straight ahead.

I have to wonder what that guy was thinking when he welded the gears. Did he not think there was a reason they were included in the design?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!