iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

conversation with a saw shop

Started by jargo432, April 30, 2014, 10:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

After hearing about so many people here buying used saws for a good price I decided to call a saw shop that I know of and inquire about buying a used saw.  He said that he didn't have any for sale at the time and asked what I was looking for.  (side note.... I had already done some research on his shop and knew he was an Echo dealer)  I told him I had my heart on a Stihl ms271.  (I was ready.... Here it comes....) 

He started off saying that the new Stihls were computer saws and it cost $100 to put it on a computer just to figure out what's wrong with it when it has problems.... And of course he could get me a good Echo......

(I know the Timberwolf is a great saw, I just have my heart set on a Stihl)

My question?  Is there any truth to what he was saying about the new Stihls?  I haven't heard any bad things about the intelicarb.  Is he blowing smoke or what?
Jack of all trades.

Andyshine77

The intelicarb isn't electronic. CM Stihl models are Mtronic saws with computer controlled carbs. The 271 has a standard carb. Any decent dealer will diagnose the electronic system free. So far I have not seen a single failure with the electronics on any saw, just bad carbs and coils, nothing new there.

I however would recommend the Echo 590 over the 271. The 271 is a plastic case over priced homeowner was. The Echo 590 is a mag case pro grade saw with a homeowner saw price.
Andre.

7sleeper

@Andyshine77
I have read of a few people with problems with the Stihl MT System. Mainly on the 241. Not major defects but simply that the carb desides to react "sluggish" instead of rapido. Resulting in replacement of the carb after a few service trips. Don't know if the MT is at fault or what else.

Quote from: jargo432 on April 30, 2014, 10:10:08 AM
After hearing about so many people here buying used saws for a good price I decided to call a saw shop that I know of and inquire about buying a used saw.  He said that he didn't have any for sale at the time and asked what I was looking for.  (side note.... I had already done some research on his shop and knew he was an Echo dealer)  I told him I had my heart on a Stihl ms271.  (I was ready.... Here it comes....) 

He started off saying that the new Stihls were computer saws and it cost $100 to put it on a computer just to figure out what's wrong with it when it has problems.... And of course he could get me a good Echo......

(I know the Timberwolf is a great saw, I just have my heart set on a Stihl)

My question?  Is there any truth to what he was saying about the new Stihls?  I haven't heard any bad things about the intelicarb.  Is he blowing smoke or what?
@jargo432
Well I wouldn't wonder if you got the same garbage from a Husqvarna shop or the other way around, etc.  If someone doesn't know the others stuff you get a lot of rumors etc. On the other hand my Stihl dealer also sell's Echo and swears by it! He loves their stuff and would love to sell only that, but he has to live off something.
Further I have to agree with Andyshine that your heart is set on the wrong thing if you want to buy pricewise. But then again that is the nymbus that Stihl has so carefully created over the decades. So if it makes you happy go with it, just don't be sad if someone cuts faster with a uncool cheaper saw.

ladylake

Lots of converts over to Echo lately, all you have to do is run a well tuned one. Nothing wrong with pro Stihl saws except the price but Stihl is using  their name to sell some  low to mid quality saws these last few years.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chop Shop

Can I get replacement parts in 15 years for an uncool cheaper saw?

JohnG28

I haven't paid for a service dealer to diagnose anything before. They're usually pretty good to have a look at a saw if you have something wrong. The cs590 looks like a good deal,  but if you're not willing to disable the limit caps and do a muffler mod, then they don't run as well, or as has been stated anyway. That will void the 5 year warranty on the saw, and if you're not willing to do this yourself may be something to consider. I haven't heard anyone say their Echo saw was all that good without these mods. That doesn't mean the Stihl in question is the best either. Either one will probably cut a bunch of firewood.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

jargo432

Thanks for all the info. 

I think I'll start a thread saying how much i love the cs590 just to see how many people come on and say I should buy a Stihl.  :D

Talking on a forum is like talking with your wife.  No matter what you say your wrong.  :D
Jack of all trades.

brettl

I'm a Stihl guy to Jargo. Had my heart set on one several years back and bought a brand new 026 Pro. I have no doubt, based on my others, that it would be 15 years or so old and running strong if it hadn't been stolen >:(.

On that note and thinking of a used saw, I'd look for a 026 or 260. They're numerous and can be had reasonable. The difference in a 026 Pro and 026 is the decompression button and the "Pro" sticker. Neither of which are necessary or of any use on a saw of this size IMHO. May have been an air filter difference, I don't remember but someone will jump in and point it out. Be on the lookout for a nice 034 or 034 Super. The Super is a 036 Pro, one of the finest ever made, with a few external differences. The 036 and 036 Pro are also very good saws to look for but if you find a good one act quick! They don't stay on the market long.

JohnG28

The 026/260 pro had an adjustable oiler also.  ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

brettl

Of course! I knew there was something major I was forgetting. In my opinion, that IS something worth looking for. Possibly not necessary in a saw with the quality of the 026, depending on how hard it's used, but nice to know I have just a bit more control of my saws operation. Thanks for keeping me straight. ;)

ladylake

Quote from: Chop Shop on April 30, 2014, 03:28:41 PM

Echo has been around a long time and isn't going away plus parts are reasonable and can be bought online or at a dealer.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

Quotejust to see how many people come on and say I should buy a Stihl

:D :D

Buy a Stihl.    ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

roadiestar

jargo432

To heck with it I'm getting a Poulan.  ;)
Jack of all trades.

Spike60

This thread kind of needs a new title, because the conversation the OP had didn't take place in what most of us would call a "saw shop". A dealer who has some saws for sale, yes, but not a saw shop.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

7sleeper

I like my oleo mac / efco saws.  ;D

Who knows? Who knows if Stihl or Husqvarna are around in 15 years? Just look what happened to nokia, former top of the game and now gone. So if you really get your equipment based on those descisions I don't think you are going to be happy.

chainsawr

Sounds like a choice between the saw you want (MS271), and the dealer/seller you want to use (Echos).
www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

jargo432

Quote from: chainsawr on May 01, 2014, 07:29:38 AM
Sounds like a choice between the saw you want (MS271), and the dealer/seller you want to use (Echos).

I will admit it's a win win choice.  Thanks to all you guys and gals I can at least make an informed decision.  I've learned so much on this forum It's hard to believe. 

Thank you so much to everybody!
Jack of all trades.

7sleeper

Quote from: jargo432 on May 01, 2014, 07:53:18 AM
I will admit it's a win win choice.  Thanks to all you guys and gals I can at least make an informed decision.  I've learned so much on this forum It's hard to believe. 

Thank you so much to everybody!
Very wise summary!

brettl

A nice, new saw by either of these is indeed, a win-win(buy Stihl  :D). Hey, just be confident in any big brand you choose, they all make great saws.

Have fun with your new purchase. 8)

weimedog

Quote from: jargo432 on April 30, 2014, 04:11:27 PM

Talking on a forum is like talking with your wife.  No matter what you say your wrong.  :D

Then you need a different wife.  ::)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Big timber little dozer

Yep that's what I thought

Chop Shop

Quote from: 7sleeper on May 01, 2014, 07:27:12 AM
I like my oleo mac / efco saws.  ;D

Who knows? Who knows if Stihl or Husqvarna are around in 15 years? Just look what happened to nokia, former top of the game and now gone. So if you really get your equipment based on those descisions I don't think you are going to be happy.

Stihl is so popular and old that even if they disappear there will be MANY aftermarket companies like there are now to support them.   Just look at the overseas market for stihl runout patents like the 070.  Not counterfits, but actual copies to a tee.

Im not a Echo hater by anymeans.  I finnaly gave up on Stihls tophandle line up and bought a nice Echo top handle.  I like it very much.

But if I drop it or run it over, I dont have much hope of finding a cost effective way to replace major items like a case or handle assembly.

And also the possibility of selling my wore out Echo when Im done with it on ebay would not bring the 50% of new like a stihl will.

But I do like it.  I just try not to kill it!

Thank You Sponsors!