iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which used Stihl saw to buy?

Started by davidw, April 29, 2014, 05:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidw

Hello, new to this forum, lots of good information here. I've been heating my house for the past 2 winters with wood and recently picked up a 2 yr old 22 ton Huskee splitter, so I am committed to heating with wood. I use 4-5 cords a season.
I have been using a Stihl 026 which is about 20 years old that has seen little use before I got it. Great saw but I need something bigger and as a backup.
On the used front this is what I have found locally:
Stihl 036- very good condition,( highly recommended by saw shop) with a 20" bar, plus a new bar and chain  $ 375.00
Stihl MS 311- 1 year old, traded in for a larger saw, $350 (same shop, which sold the saw new)
Stihl MS361 - found on Craig's list for $425, no case, wrenches (I think its from a pawn shop).
What ever I do, I need to keep cost in mind as the wood splitter just about used up the budget.
Thanks in advance,
David Werkheiser

jargo432

Man, I need the name of that shop.  All of those sound like good deals to me. 
Jack of all trades.

ZeroJunk

MS361 in good shape would be my first choice. They will all work just fine if there is nothing wrong with them. MS311 will be harder to rebuild, but that should be a long way down the road. You may want to jump up another notch in size since you have the 026.

Holmes

You could give Chainsawr , a sponsor , a call.  He has some refurbished saws for sale . Maybe more of them  than he has listed.  :)
Think like a farmer.

Reddog

Off that list based on stated condition the 036 would be my first choice.

brettl

Welcome to the forum. That 036 if in really great shape would be my choice. These are an awesome saw.

According to Stihls specs, the 311 is 2 pounds heavier and not even 1/2 hp more powerful than the 291. At 14.1 lbs, the 59cc 311s advertised weight, it is as heavy as my old 441 and 440, both 71cc professional saws. The 291 and 290 can be found in excellent used shape pretty often on cl and reasonable.

ZeroJunk

The MS361 is lighter than the 036 and has much better anti vibration.

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

clww

I bought my 361 off a CL ad. $$$ well spent.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SawTroll

Quote from: ZeroJunk on April 29, 2014, 06:26:44 PM
MS361 in good shape would be my first choice. ....

No doubt at all about that, it is by far the nicest of those saws!  :)
Information collector.

brettl

If it's at a pawn shop, pass it up. That is, unless, they have a return policy. Oddly enough, we do have a local pawn chain that has a no question return policy and at least one of the stores honors it.

I was at the biggest store of this chain, that also has the largest selection of chainsaws, and took the cover off a 024 Pro. There was fine grass clippings stuffed and hardened to the point that they made the exact shape of the filter cover. If this saw had been through any cleaning process, some poor sap would, and probably did anyway, buy it with no idea of what it looked like coming in.

Pawn shops are a gamble unless they'll let you take the muffler off to look for scores, check compression, start it and let it idle to operating temp and do some cutting with it. I carry some hedge logs when I go pawn shop cruising. So far, I've come out ahead, but you have to know what you're looking at and for. $425 is to much of a gamble in my opinion.

davidw

I want to thank all who replied, the 360 Pro I missed by a day. The MS311 I am having seconds thoughts about as while it is only 1 year old, I can buy a new one for only $90 more with a warranty (seems Stihl's warranty is only for first owner). The saw shop is rebuilding a couple of 390's in the next few weeks.
Thanks, David

brettl

I'd pass up that 311 if you can buy new for $90 more. A used 440, or a new 441 weigh the same and have considerably more power. To bad you missed the 036 Pro :(.

A refurbished saw from a reputable shop? Sounds good! 8)

Thank You Sponsors!