iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

food and fruit of the woods..

Started by Thehardway, April 29, 2014, 02:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehardway

Hey guys, hopefully i'm not repeating another post but I thought it might be interesting to share what we have found to eat and forage during our time in the woods.  I am speaking primarily of plants and trees not critters although they are yummy too.

Here is a list of trees and plants I have Identified on my property that I plan to try eating sooner or later.  If you have any suggestions on how to enhance preparation I am open to suggestions.  Would love to hear what you'all have found as well.

Nuts/seeds:
Black Walnuts
Hickory Nuts
White Oak Acorns
Honey Locust
Beech Nuts

Fruits:

Black Raspberry
Blackberry
Red raspberry
Black Haw or Nannyberry
Wild black cherry
Paw Paw
Juniper berry
Rose Hips

Bark/roots/leaves
Sycamore
Beech
Sassafras
Birch

Blossoms/petals:
Rose
Beech
Honeysuckle
violets
dandelions
Chicory
Clover

Stalks:
Asparagus

These are the ones that come to mind immediatly.  I might think of more later.  What do you have?

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

sprucebunny

Ramps/wild garlic.

What part of beech can I eat...I want to get even  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Magicman

Pecans.

You have several listed that I ain't eating.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

I thought that wild black cherry  juniper and acorns  was poison  ???  I have eaten black birch bark wasn't to bad  :D

SPIKER

missed out on the plums, apples, grapes & many many varieties of shrooms. food1 food2 digin_2

I've tried acorns couldn't get over the bitterness, wild cherries are also pretty bitter.   Done some rootbeer from sassafras root bark.  Hickory nuts are a fav however the moths fill em full of grubs pretty bad here.

picked up a ton of beech nuts this past fall but never figured out what to do with them, was going to try and pop em open and eat some but ended up leaving them in my pocket & ran em thru wash lol...   Suggestions for the beechnuts?

I have tons of raspberries & blackberries and planted some blueberries (waiting for them to put some berries on!)

I have not tried rose hips yet, just dont have idea what is best way to eat em no_no sketti_1

One of out members sent me some PAW PAW seeds a few years ago and I now have about a dozen little ones in corner of garden 3 or 4th year now ready to transplant into creek/woods shady area soon! 8)

Mom loved Dandelions (never could stomach the bitterness myself.)  I have more of a sweet tooth than the sour/bitter stuff.

I have tried the leaks, ramps and wild onions usually as a side/seasoning/garnish over handful out of the ground, probably missed a bunch of stuff myself too. but pretty good list.
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Left Coast Chris

Pine nuts are quite tasty.  Goose berries, salmon berries.  Not a plant or animal but you are really lucky if you find wild honey from bees.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Nuts

Beaked hazel
beech nuts
butternuts
Ground nuts (I have not found any yet)

Tubers/Stems

Indian cucumber root
jack-in-the-pulpit (not eaten, very hot)
ostrich fern (fiddle head)
cattail (never eaten but abundant)

Berries/Fruit

bunchberry (tasteless)
wintergreen
raspberry including dwarf vine
strawberry
blackberry
currants (3 species here)
chokecherries (jelly)
high-bush cranberry (jelly)
apple
serviceberry
blueberry (we have 2 species)
huckleberry (west coast)
cranberry
salmonberry (west coast)

Syrup

maple syrup
birch syrup
blueberry syrup

;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thehardway

Quote from: coxy on April 29, 2014, 11:12:20 PM
I thought that wild black cherry  juniper and acorns  was poison  ???  I have eaten black birch bark wasn't to bad  :D

The wild black cherries we have are not poison, although certain types are.  They are very bitter, so much so that they will "choke" you unless you get them right when they start to shrivel up an the skin is slightly loose.  That is when they are slightly sweet.  Be sure you know what variety of wild cherry you have before eating.

Juniper berries are a traditional seasoning for wild game, stews and roasts.  They were eaten by many of the Indians though not so much for nutrative as medicinal and seasoning value.

Acorns are extremely high in tannin which makes them bitter.  There are many methods for soaking them and roasting them to remove the tannin after which they can be ground into an all purpose gluten free flour that is very nutrative.  I intend to try this but have not done it yet.  White Oak acorns are supposed to be the best and sweetest for this purpose.  Black and red oaks are reportedly not worth the bother.  For beech nuts, roast them which allows the skin to be peeled off which contains a mild toxin. Then eat them or grind them into a butter like peanut or almond butter.  Supposedly beeach leaves can be eaten and are tasty when young and emerging as well as inner bark.  None of my beeches are mature enough to produce nuts.  They are all small.  I might try a few leaves to-nite when I get home 8)  I'll let you know how they were if I survive.

I don't yet have any plums, apples or grapes but they are high on my list for planting as is hazel and currants.  I love currants  but don't have any.  I'm glad that the syrups were mentioned.  I forgot them.  In addition to  maple and birch I have read that sycamore sap also can make syrup but it takes a lot.

I also forgot the mints and spices that were mentioned.

I have an abundance of spearmint. 

I have May Apples as well which I hear are edible but also poisonous if not picked at the proper time. My Dad used to talk about May Apple Jelly when he was still alive.

I know little about mushrooms other than many are poison and I don't care for many of the ones Iv'e tried. Probably because of ignorance on when to pick and how to prepare.  My wife is allergic to them so it would just be me and the boy eating them.  I guess I'll search the forum for mushroom id and recipes.

I have been told that mushrooms, leaks, ramps and wild onions have no real value in sustenance.  (you could starve to death eating them) They are tasty to some and add seasoning to many other highly nutritious foods.  I hope I never have to try and live on them as I really don't like them all that much.

I think I also have some wild turnips and I have polk weed and wild sweet peas. 

Jack-in -the-pulpit is endangered and protected here although we do have it.

I have not tried fiddle heads but plan to try some day as they are abundant.  Same with cattail.

I would like some persimmon as well.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

SwampDonkey

Fiddleheads of the ostrich fern are picked and sold up here, $4-$8/lb. Not every fern is edible.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

I have lots of ferns, but not the Fiddle Head type that I can ID, more the type like you buy in pots from greenhouse.

I forgot about Syrup, I made that s good # of times.

Also forgot about
Mulberries
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Asparagus
elderberries (have good supply on my place)

probably a bunch more I can't think of

(not eaten but have on my place)
Jack in Pulpit
May apples
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Mooseherder

I'm going to miss the Fiddlehead season this year. :-\
Fiddleheads is good eats.

Magicman

Ah, dem's little ones.

Dese are full grown.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Where'd ya pick those?.....  TEXAS!?  ;D

cinnabar

Lambs quarters, pigweed, purlsane  make good great cooked greens too,
choke cherries, for wine, jelly and pie
for teas.. chamomile, bee balm, sweet cicely and mullin 
oh, I can hardly wait for spring/summer  8)

SwampDonkey

They were picking a few fiddleheads already along the Meduxnekeg. This river runs through Houltan Maine, down to Woodstock NB where it dumps into the main river. Won't be any around here for a couple weeks, still snow around.

Chuck White

Leeks!

As a matter of fact, my son will be over in a little while and we'll go get some!

Fresh on bread and butter, with a sprinkle of salt for tomorrow night!

In another couple of weeks, we'll go get some for canning!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

caveman

Swamp cabbage is tasty. Palmetto hearts are a good snack.

Tooth picks (lots of fiber)

Cat tail roots are edible but I do not particularly like them.

Sometimes around old Indian settlements/campsites in hammock areas, citrus trees can be found. Most are sour but occasionally there will be some sweet tangerines.

The slimy seeds from balsam apple vine fruit are sweet.  Pepper weed seeds add a  little flavor to a walk through a sunny spot. 

Black berries are probably my favorite in the woods near here.  As a kid, I also ate a lot of elder berries.

I have eaten sea grapes (Cocoloba uvifera) but they are abrasive to the tongue.  Sometimes the wild grapes are not too bad if you can find them ripe. 

Since I quit dipping snuff, I do a fair bit of nibbling on plants while walking in the woods.
Caveman

Caveman

Thehardway

OK, so I tried some of those young beech leaves on Sat.  Just picked them of the tree and chewed them up.

The flavor was neither bitter nor sweet.  It reminded me a little of lettuce, with a hint of a minty taste.  I am still alive today with no apparent ill effects. 8) 

Maybe I'll try a few more this week.

SwampDonkey

Another berry of the heath sites is creeping snowberry. The berry is white and I think in the wintergreen family. Never seem to be abundant.

luvmexfood

I have heard that you can take polk berry weed stalk and fry it like okra and it is good.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

pineywoods

Mayhaw, Mayhaw. not really fit to eat, but makes the world's finest jelly..OH yeah, it's mostly a southern thing
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

julio

Polk stalk are great cut up and battered and fried
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Thank You Sponsors!