iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling Video

Started by SliverPicker, April 29, 2014, 10:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huskstihl

I only saw one barber chair.  As a general rule, the guy footing the massive overhead bill involved in heli-logging is not going to bring along an inexperienced crew. That guy is alive cause he had the experience to expect a chair, and to realize what was happening very early

roadiestar

All i'm saying is that God he is OK. It could of been real ugly.

OneWithWood

Do you think he was saving that face shield for another day? :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

luvmexfood

Quote from: OneWithWood on May 03, 2014, 02:21:25 PM
Do you think he was saving that face shield for another day? :)

Well it might have gotten broken. HA
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

CCC4

Quote from: SquareG on April 30, 2014, 06:05:17 AM

That said, I respectfully agree with the half of posters saying it is a video of what not to do.  Do not barber chair one tree after another.  Do not retreat to the rear of the tree.  It is absolutely not just as safe behind the tree as to the side of it, especially if every one is barber chair.  Do stand there and look at the stump fail and figure what you need to do different for next one if you don't already know.

But then you've established in this thread that guys with engineering background are not credible enough to post, but those with photography or whatever, that's OK.

So where are the multiple barber chairs one right after another? Am I missing something? The one tree lost it's conformity on the stump...not a barber chair at all. Do you have any idea at the level of faller you are "Nit picking"...obviously not! To even be on that job and falling hazard trees of that size is only left for highly experienced fallers period!

Are you seriously suggesting that faller go back and look at his stump to see what happened?? His chain grabbed...do you know what that feeling is when the the tree is committing and yer hinge is too thick yet to bail and your chain grabs??? Obviously not, so for you to say anything negative about his cutting is straight up arrogant and foolish for a faller of only "2" years to do.

It's not your "engineering" that is causing your problems...it's your posts! I sat here trying to make myself step over your post like a turd in the woods but the more I read you slamming that faller and offering your suggestions as to what to do in that case....which you have zero clue what you are talking about due to the fact that I know darn well that you have never had to fall many hazard trees... or your views would be waaaay different.

So from your back ground, how would you have suggested the faller handle the tree that lost it's conformity on the stump? Even though I have never had a tree to do that..I will tell you what I would have done!....I would have fell that tree with what I know...when it goes bad like that and you are ok...you go home and you hug your wife and child up extra hard that evening! ...That is how you handle those situations!

Jeff

First off, I totally agree with the position stated in the last post by CCC4, But lastly, I'll not allow any more posts on this topic that appear even the least argumentative between members. I have no problem with healthy debate, but since I have almost a decade and a half in mediating topics here, I can clearly tell when there is a verbal chasm ahead and this is one of those times.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mesquite buckeye

Well put Jeff.

I see some stuff in the video I didn't like either, like dropping on stumps, across ravines, etc., but I was not there. Sometimes you can adjust for obstacles and sometimes you can't. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ed_K

I used that clip to show my tree warden helpers how fast thing can turn bad.Even rita jumped when i showed her the tree splitting.
Ed K

Jeff

Quebecnewf had this happen a few years back. How do you predict this?

http://youtu.be/GGhfWrqLbEo
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SquareG

I apologize for my post.  A guy feels he is defending himself, when actually he's roasting people worse than anyone else.  I regret this thread has not led to a discussion about method or methods for preventing split butts.  In frustrated haste I said barber chair every one.  There's no excuse, and I apologize for it. 

luvmexfood

Sometimes when I post after I think about it awhile and go back and reread it doesn't always say what I ment for it to say.

Tree Killer

Quote from: SquareG on May 04, 2014, 01:09:55 AM
I apologize for my post.  A guy feels he is defending himself, when actually he's roasting people worse than anyone else.  I regret this thread has not led to a discussion about method or methods for preventing split butts.  In frustrated haste I said barber chair every one.  There's no excuse, and I apologize for it.
oh yuk why apoligize for ur opinion, just because somebody dose'nt agree. We have a right to say what we want , others don't have the right to not be offended. Im tired of the apologies in this country everyday . Not sure if this is concidred a heathy debate but the thought policeing takes over a thread and hijacks the original post.

luvmexfood

I must say I like this forum. Used to visit another about tractors but it got to bad. People calling others jerks if they didn't like their posts, arguments requiring video proof of what the claiment said he could do.

Sort of like if someone said they could do something blindfolded which is just a matter of speach then they would get called out to prove it.

Jeff runs a fair forum here.

goose63

Jeff runs a mighty fine forum here and I think it needs to be kept that way for those that like the way things are run thy don't have to read it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Tree Killer

I dont think that name calling is appropiate for a forum, but a public repromand  that hijacks the thread is ridiculus.  We are on here for many reasons that revolve around a industry that we love. I wood like to belive that we can all speak our minds on  subjects and be adults with a informed opinion.  I wood not call this a fair forum this is where a attempt at a comical line is something a member feels he has to apoligize for. If I wanted to read just boring info with zero comic relief I wood go read a shop manual.

thenorthman

Meh everyone has an oppinion...

Personally I think some folks just don't have a sense of humor, either that or I'm not as funny as I think I am.

otherwise this is a great forum, Just have to watch what we say, a little ribbing is probably ok, outright name calling and being rude is uncalled for.

Back on topic now... That Doug that came apart in the vid I would classify as a barber chair, for whatever reason, it happened and dude is safe.  For a Fir to come apart like that I would have to assume that there was some kind of internal badness the rest of us at home could not see firs are not known to chair like that.  The fact that he filmed it tells me he wasn't sure if it would work or not.  Otherwise the majority of the falling in that vid was spot on.
well that didn't work

chester_tree _farmah

I agree that one was a barber chair and the forces in that huge tree caused the tree just above his cut to explode. If he could do it over he would probably gone up that hill but that was split second reaction and not thought. It happened too fast and his reaction speed is what saved him. And his experience. You can see him step back from the saw and use one hand. He knew from experience it could go bad fast. And it did. That is experience with big trees. Awesome video and awesome tunes! :-)

Thanks for sharing it with us OP.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Thank You Sponsors!