iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling Video

Started by SliverPicker, April 29, 2014, 10:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SliverPicker

I stumbled across this.  Pretty interesting.  I hope this guy posts more videos.  There's a dandy clip at about 2:45.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlqOEho4f0w
Yooper by trade.

clww

Enjoyed that video, once I turned the noise off. ::)
That spot you pointed out at 2:45 scared me. :o :o I've had a couple do that, but nowhere near that large a tree.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jeff

Ha! Almost exactly what I was about to post!

A most excellent video once muted. :)  Yea, wicked moment there at 2:45
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I was yelling to that guy to go up hill. Things can go wrong quick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Road Runner

The almost disasterous mishap at 2:45 is a good example of why to have an escape route at 45 degrees away from the stump.  On most of these trees the faller or fallers stood or exited behind the stump directly in line with the falling tree.
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

SliverPicker

A 45 degree escape isn't always possible. 
Yooper by trade.

Huskstihl

Quote from: Jeff on April 29, 2014, 11:05:33 AM
Ha! Almost exactly what I was about to post!

A most excellent video once muted. :)  Yea, wicked moment there at 2:45

Classic barber chair.  The tree started going and he backed away.  It stalled out.  He looked long and hard at it, then went back and hit it again.  When it stalled all that forward momentum from the top had nowhere to go but up the tree, resulting in the split.  On a tree that size I doubt there is ever a way to "get thru the back cut fast", and he likely needed to have gotten rid of some of the holding wood before starting the back cut.  But as Gologit says, "you can do everything perfectly and still the tree doesn't cooperate"

SliverPicker

Big and rotten.  Always interesting rarely predictable. 

That clip makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Yooper by trade.

BradMarks

Time to take a break! (and change the undies).  Even the most experienced get surprised. One less cat in his life! 

terry f

That's some nice wood, scary cutting the rotton stuff, wonder why it wasn't left.

chester_tree _farmah

Huh - awesome video and great camera work. I liked the music and yes I am 49.  8)

I wonder if the possiblility of getting serioulsy hurt makes us enjoy doing it so much? Kind of like some folks thrill seek by bungee jumping and rock climbing?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Magicman

That was a pucker moment that he will not forget.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BEEMERS

Thanks for that video..people need to see stuff like that barberchair at 2:45. That guy knew the chances of something going bad were *DanG good.Im guessing he knew it was rotten after he cut in but not before...then he was commited and had to get it down.tree sat down on the saw and he knew when to give up the saw and run.
He got away but that tree was just as likely to come down on the other side and get him.What were all the factors in that happening and him surviving? How can you reverse engineer what happened and apply it to the next tree?..You cant!! probably this guys 10,000th tree.Now go tell him that you have a couple trees your gonna cut and you did the math and studied the physics and ya got it all figured out.I bet his reply would be a little harsh!!! And DO NOT start the conversation with "Im an engineer.." :D  Loved that video,keep em comin!!

lumberjack48

Hind site is always 20/20, he got a little ahead of himself. The bad thing is he panicked and almost got himself killed. He would have been safe if he would have planed his escape up hill. NO, he ran in to the kill zone. When cutting rotten timber it takes a lot more thinking so you don't  make mistakes like this.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

chester_tree _farmah

I beleive out there the big companies prefer to clear cut and replant? So they cut it all - rotton or not. That is why you see them blowing up the stump. If something is too harry to cut with a saw they blow it up.

But someone out west should know?

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Jeff

Quote from: lumberjack48 on April 29, 2014, 02:45:09 PM
Hind site is always 20/20, he got a little ahead of himself. The bad thing is he panicked and almost got himself killed. He would have been safe if he would have planed his escape up hill. NO, he ran in to the kill zone. When cutting rotten timber it takes a lot more thinking so you don't  make mistakes like this.

Not sure what you were watching... smiley_tom_dizzy02
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chester_tree _farmah

It looked to me like it was almost vertical behind him?

That must be a trip dropping one of those huge trees. I have heard big white pine hit the ground and those must be twice the size.

Did anyone see that one little wedge in that big one towards the end. Cracked me up.  OK I will shut up now.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

ozarkgem

My question is where does all the clear lumber go to. It sure doesn't make to the lumber yards here.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

SliverPicker

1)  He may have know the thing was rotten before cutting in to it.  He certainly knew as he cut in to it that it was rotten. 

2) He could have done all the planning in the world, but he could never have predicted what direction the shards of the tree were going to go in.  He could have planned to run up hill, but the odds of the tree blowing up up hill where the same as the odds of the shrapnel going downhill or straight back for that matter.

3)  I used to be a photographer and there is another factor at play here.  At any focal length longer (read:zoom factor) than what most humans' eyes see the camera compresses distances.  That tree may have been much farther behind him when it blew than it appeared in the video.

Cutting trees for a living has risks and there is no mitigating all of them.  PERIOD.  You can't control any where near all the variables involved with each tree you cut.
Yooper by trade.

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: SliverPicker on April 29, 2014, 08:04:30 PM
1)  He may have know the thing was rotten before cutting in to it.  He certainly knew as he cut in to it that it was rotten. 

2) He could have done all the planning in the world, but he could never have predicted what direction the shards of the tree were going to go in.  He could have planned to run up hill, but the odds of the tree blowing up up hill where the same as the odds of the shrapnel going downhill or straight back for that matter.

3)  I used to be a photographer and there is another factor at play here.  At any focal length longer (read:zoom factor) than what most humans' eyes see the camera compresses distances.  That tree may have been much farther behind him when it blew than it appeared in the video.

Cutting trees for a living has risks and there is no mitigating all of them.  PERIOD.  You can't control any where near all the variables involved with each tree you cut.

Well said. Trees that big increase the danger factor I would think. There is a lot of force blowing that trunk apart.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

chester_tree _farmah

Like I said above the dude must have some thrill seeker in him. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

SliverPicker

The broken and rotten ones turn my stomach every time.  Sometimes its best to walk away.  If you are cutting for a living and walk away too many times pretty soon you find yourself getting fewer calls.  There is pressure to produce.
Yooper by trade.

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: SliverPicker on April 29, 2014, 08:14:50 PM
The broken and rotten ones turn my stomach every time.  Sometimes its best to walk away.  If you are cutting for a living and walk away too many times pretty soon you find yourself getting fewer calls.  There is pressure to produce.

U cut those big boys?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

beenthere

QuoteMy question is where does all the clear lumber go to. It sure doesn't make to the lumber yards here

There are moulding and shop grades of softwood lumber that command high prices and are used by the door and window manufacturers, i.e. Pella, Andersen, JeldWen, etc.
And you are right, these high value grades don't make it to the Box stores. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SliverPicker

I had exactly one job where some of the trees where in that class.  It was a blast.  Here in the Colorado I doubt I will ever be in a patch that size again.  Who knows though.  Now that the lodgepole beetle epidemic is winding down we are having a spruce bug that is knocking the heck out of the higher elevation spruces.  Some of them are monsters.  Hopefully I can do some mitigation work in some of that stuff.
Yooper by trade.

Thank You Sponsors!